“Horrible people!”

Overseas Tibetan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Xiahe County
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went to Xiahe beginning of November. As we no now there was a lot of unrest in that city at the time. When we came to the overseas hotel after calling them for directions they told us that there where no dorm available only a room for 200 yuan. We where with three and also a triple room was not available, our friend also had to pay for a double room 200 yuan. The lady who helped us was not honest, we new this straight away it was obvious from the look in her eyes. We decided not to stay here and went nextdoor to tara's guesthouse. There we were informed that in fact they are not allowed at this time to have foreign guests because of the unrest. The man was very helpfull and called the police to try and work something out. It was not possible. When leaving the Tara guesthouse there was a police man waiting for us and kindly but firmly asked us to leave, there was only one hotel where we were allowed to stay and in the morning it would be wise to take the first bus back to Lanzhou he said. We where shown to the hotel far away from the monastery were we payed 160 yuan for a triple room. After this fiasco we understood immediately that the Overseas hotel is taking advantage of this situation and are trying to earn money off unrest between chinese government and tibetan monks. Offcourse they had dorms available because there was nobody there they just knew they could ask for a lot of money because we would be turned away everywhere else. I think this is really really bad and nobody should stay in a hotel managed by people who think this is ok.

Room Tip: Don't stay here they will rip you of if they get the change!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was perfectly happy with my room for the price I paid and the location. It was great to be so close to the monastery, and I enjoyed watching people pass by enough that I didn't mind the noise from the street (get a room facing the courtyard if you're a light sleeper!). Their café is serviceable, but there are much better restaurants if you head across or down the street.

The rooms are aging, but are clean enough. Some replacement of things could be used in the bathroom (I was in a twin room), but the main surfaces were decent enough in my room. I avoided looking to deeply into a few of the bathroom corners though.

As LP said the staff could help arrange tours, I started there with some questions. The staff always took care of my needs efficiently (I was happy to get laundry done and use the internet), but didn't provide anything extra. There wasn't an English tour the day I was there, so that was the end of that discussion. I was left to my own devices to figure out more.

I thought it was a great option in Xiahe.

Note: I had no problem leaving the hotel to catch a 7:30am bus. I wasn't aware of the "locking the door" issue until I came on here to write this review and saw some other people mentioning it.

Room Tip: The street side is noisy!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a reservation at this hotel and when we arrived there, after a long and difficult journey, the lady at the counter, laughing, told us that they had given the room. This was during the most popular holidays in China so it was impossible to find a room. After a long time our driver found somebody that rented us an apartment. This was a terrible thing to do so I want everybody to know about the terrible management of this place.

Room Tip: You can not trust in this hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank josefina_rodriguez
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We spent two nights here as part of a two week trip through Sichuan, Gansu and Xinjiang provinces. The best thing about the hotel was the location, near Labrang monastery.

Our room was OK and thankfully was one of the few facing the inner courtyard, away from the blaring horns of cars on Xiahe's main road. Bed was rock hard but acceptable. The toilet and shower however are a disaster. The bathtub was covered with mould and the shower curtain covered with stains and algae. Lighting in there left much to be desired.

Cleanliness is most important to us, and for this reason I cannot recommend this hotel. Apparently one of the other hotels on this strip has much cleaner rooms, according to other travelers - I would suggest checking out the rooms in person before commiting.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank underock
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel is easy to find, on the main street, cheap, cheerful, a bit cold, a bit run down, but perfectly ok at this price range and location. Beware if you get up early to leave, the place is locked up, Wake the porter at the rear of the building.
LP chinese translation of Hezou (Local town) is incorrect. Get hotel to give you correct name if you want a taxi or bus.
More Tips
- Great local alochol shop in town, look out for the large pottery containers in the shop on the same side as the hotel about 0.5km down the road towards the bus station. 36RMB 1/2 litre.
- For an excellent cycle ride, go towards the grass lands, watch out on the left for a hydro power station (large pipes coming down the hill), cross the river by the bridge and head to the hills as far as you dare. Great scenary, no tourists and "real" nomadic tents.
- Try Ganser restruant, next to NOMAD for a real Tibetan experiance. Good food, cheap price and atmosphere that is unique.

Room Tip: Double room with bath ok, beware the hot water is non existant early in the morning or very late at...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

After reading the previous reviews, we were somewhat concerned regarding the condition of the hotel. However, the room we stayed was nice with a traditional large bed, quite warm feeling, comfortable and even romantic!
We stayed there for two nights around mid Aug, could have been more... the bathroom and toilet are manageable, no need to worry much.
The location is absolutely the best, you are right in the action of the moving prayer's mills!

Room Tip: Ask for the upstair rooms with large traditional bed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Overseas Tibetan hotel, run by friendly Losang and family, is well worth the money. Ok, as some travelers have pointed out: it might be in need of a little overhaul, but the rooms are cosy enough - if a bit dark. The location, on the other hand, is fantastic!
The food in the restaurant is good and the servings are large. Try the mutton with cumin, it tastes great!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business