Manyatta Rock Camp
$131
$109
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Kruger Boutique Hotel(Marloth Park)
$98
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
$50
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Lion Sands - Tinga Lodge(Kruger National Park)
$1,851
  • Restaurant
Protea Hotel by Marriott Kruger Gate(Skukuza)(Great Value!)
$197
$140
Agoda.com
$147
Hotels.com
All reviewsprivate game reservefood was greatearly morningrock campfantastic viewsspent nightskruger parktotal surprisestaff were excellentdining deckmorning safarioutdoor showermanyattalionsdrivevehiclelodge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 8, 2009

We really enjoyed our get away from day to day news papers and TV. The room was comfortable and a good size. Nice to have a fridge for keeping milk and drinks cold. We were in a lower 'hut' and the deck view was not as good as some others although we did have passing smaller animals and birds to watch in between game drives. The outside shower is an experience, especially at 5.00am before the morning game drive. My husband enjoyed the food but I found it ok. There is a choice and much is 'select what you want'. We certainly didn't go hungry and were pleased to be able to get good coffee at any time! We went on 4 drives whilst there and although we didn't see any cats, watching the elephants interact was wonderful. There were lots of Rhino and giraffes and the drivers shared their knowledge about the plants and birds aswell.We did get some drizzly rain which ,when you have been out in an open topped vehicle for three hours, can leave you feeling rather cold, so do take warm clothing and something waterproof to sit on!
Our only disappointment was when we weren't met at the airport as expected and had to get help to sort this out.The transfer wasn't really adequate as I had the cases on the back seat with me as no room in the boot even for 1! However, we did receive an apology and some complimentary wine and experiences. We would recomment the full day trip to Kruger, which although long (12hrs), was well worth it as we saw lots and enjoyed the stops at the waterholes where the animals can be observed just getting on with their day to day lives.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2009

This place is amazing, I cannot say enough good things about it. I did a lot of research before booking as this was our honeymoon and we have both dreamed of going to Africa on safari one day so it had to be special. We hit the jackpot with this place. Kwa Madwala is its own enclosed private game reserve where they have a variety of animals, only one missing from the big 5 was the buffalo. The rooms as you probably have seen from the pics looks like something from the flinstones with the rock shaped accomodation but believe me when i say they are 5* quality inside. The people working there from the cleaners to the bar staff to the guides are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble. We ended up doing 4 game drives within the reserve and our guide was Evans, he was brilliant. A wealth of knowledge on everything from the plants to the animals and he makes a joke of everything which kept it entertaining when you were tracking the animals. His nickname so he told us was the leopard man as they are extremely illusive and we were told they hadnt been seen for approx 5 months. Well jackpot, on our first drive with Evans there she was lying on one of the rocks, quite a distance away but she just lay there watching us. We were very lucky in fact with all our drives as we saw everything on the reserve. We also did the elephant back safari and it was again brilliant. A trip you guys must do though is over into Kruger, the place is brilliant and just enormous but it must have been beginners luck because we saw the Big 5 and not to boast about it but we saw a leopard from approx 10 metres away which was fantastic. Anyway back to the Manyatta rock, this place is what dreams are made of and you will not be disappointed if you choose to venture here on your travels. Hopefully I havent board you all with our honeymoon and I hope you enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cheesystu
Reviewed June 22, 2009

I was just flicking through some of our photos from our honeymoon and realised I never came to Tripadvisor to post my review! Not much point though; words will never describe how good our trip was.

The 'camp' (I use quotes because although camp is accurate enough, there's nothing about camping there; not being a camping fan myself) was fantastic. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon, two days (all of which spent travelling it seems!) after we got married. We were greeted at the car park (which is down a short but steep hill from the main decks) and driven in a golf buggy up to the main reception area. We were greeted by possible the world's nicest lady - I think her name was Linda. We found her to be one of the more memorable parts of our honeymoon - always there when we needed her, friendly etc etc. Most importantly, she absolutely loved being a part of this reserve - you could tell she lived and breathed the site which was incredibly endearing. Linda greeted us with a homemade chilled lemonade and sat us down on the dining deck (I'll try and post some photos) to relax. After not many minutes, we were approached by Linda again who said that lunch was no longer being served but she'd arranged a meal for us if we would like.

We sat down and enjoyed the meal, being attended to as much as we needed by friendly, fantasticly enthusiastic members of staff. We were shown to our 'hut' (again, this in no way describes the luxury of the place!) after lunch which was down a bit of a hill - driven by golf buggy of course. We were shown into the room and awaiting us were our bags, which we'd completely forgotten about! The room was better than some 4* hotels I've stayed in, and this is not the rose-tinted honeymooner talking - it really was fantastic. The air con was great, cleanliness second to none and the bedding was absolute luxury. Onto the decking, the view was great - had a bit of furniture and the view was unbelievable - as far as the eye could see, there was land, land and more land. No buildings, no ugliness, just beautiful landscapes.

I'm trying to keep this short.... I'll be brief on the next lot!
- Game drives were amazing - we probably did about 8 of them in total; my tip would be to do as many as possible; no drive is the same and the drivers are fantastic. Drinks are served (cold in the evening, hot in the very early morning with rusks!)
- Trip to Maputo (the Mozambique capital) was interesting. Just be aware that you'll need cash to take with you for Visas, and try not to be intimidated by border control - just be aware there's none of the unnecessarily friendly customer service! Great day trip and lots to see.
- Trip to 'cultural' village was not in the slightest bit genuine - they act like they live there but you see them change their robes for jeans and an ipod so don't expect to see a genuine village community. Expect audience participation in the dancing - I found this excruciating but then I'm very shy in these situations!
- Microlight flight was incredible. I will never forget this experience - to see all that I did from that aircraft with the wind in my hair was brill. I also managed to wave at the camp as we flew by people having a drink!
- Make sure you see the elephants; if you've never met an elephant close up, this will make your heart melt! They're amazing creatures and a great joy to ride!
- If you go to see the Kruger national park, try and do the day trip - we did the half day and didn't see enough to make it really special.
- Mpumalanga airport is a spectacle - from what our fellow travellers said, driving was not worth it (due to time taken from anywhere and the quality of other road users' driving!) and they wish they'd have flown so for these two reasons, I would recommend flying!

When I was researching where we could go on our honeymoon, I saw a number of places saying 'luxury' etc but being a 4* and above traveller normally, I would rather not go away than stay somewhere crappy (I know it's sad but bear with me!). If you're like me and want a guarantee that it really is luxury here, you have it from me! Feel free to contact me if you'd like any more information too; I would be more than happy to help.

I booked through Virgin holidays and got inclusive game drives , an elephant interaction and (I think) the half day trip to the Kruger national park. Great value, especially the airport transfers. I would have done it this route even if it cost more, the service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aviatorleics
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The Manyatta Rock Lodge is on a beautiful private game reserve. The reserve is big but when I spoke to some of the other guests, who had stayed at game reserves before, they said it wasn't anywhere near as big as other reserves. I, however, had never been on safari on stayed on a game reserve. The staff were so helpful and friendly. The first night I stayed there were 2 lizards running around my room and a rather large spider which the staff got rid of straight away. The bed did have a mosi net but I didn't use this. The beds were comfortable. I didn't use the outside shower as there was a lot of bugs but the sinks and bath in the room were nice. My room did have air conditioning but where everything else was so quiet I really did notice the noise, also it did 'spit out' black dust / flies which wasn't so nice. A hairdryer was supplied in the room but for some reason the plug on the hairdryer didn't fit in the room plug sockets, although the weather was nice and sunny so I just let the sun dry my hair. There isn't a safe in the room, although you may be able to use a safe at reception. The food was OK, I'm quite a fussy eater and I didn't starve but I didn't find the food to be fantastic, that said I went with two friends and they enjoyed the food.
My advice for people going there:
I saw someone wearing goggles on a game drive and OK not particularly fashionable but it is really dusty and I could really see the benefit.
Take some sort of cut for cuts and scratches - during the game drives you will get stratched by trees etc.. and THEY HURT!
Take a plug adaptor, you will need a special South African plug adaptor, as far as I could tell the standard worldwide ones do not work here.
Take books to read as there isn't much to do between the game drives.
Take a good quality camera with lots of memory - I had never taken so many pictures in all my life!
If you want to do the microlight flight book it for the first morning, then if you can't do it due to the weather you have other opportunities to do it.
Half day Kruger trip was good, except the brochure in the hotel said the guests would have a choice between going in an open top 4 x 4 or a mini bus - we weren't given the choice, even though all 5 of us going on the trip wanted the 4 x 4.
Take cotton wool buds as the dust on the game drives gets everywhere.
Take a mosi plug and / or wrist bands etc...
Take a long sleaved jacket for the game drives and it gets chilly after the sun goes down / before it rises and also long sleaves will keep protect your skin from scratches.
The elephant interaction was good fun, but I understand that not everyone would find it enjoyable.
The pool is very small but good enough to cool off in after a hot afternoon.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would love to go back. I was there for 5 nights from 01st May and the weather was perfect - not too hot or too cold. Our driver was called Smiley and our tracker was Vincent and they were great, we saw 4 of the 'BIG 5', we didn't get to see the leopard but we still had an amazing time.

Check out wasn't so good, the receptionist was late and we had to wait half and hour for her to come and sort out our bill - it was completely wrong so make sure you check it before paying. This made the drive to the airport rather concerning as we had a plane to catch, thankfully the driver got us there just in time, although if we had of missed the plane I wouldn't be so happy with the Manyatta Rock Lodge / Camp staff.

My final tip would be to check out the manyatta rock camps website before going as it has information on tipping, what to wear, what to bring etc...

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank EnglandLondon
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Stayed 4 mights at Manyatta Rock, and loved every minute...Perfect surroundings and great guides -Ewans and Sunny Boy.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family