“Lovely location disinterested staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Manyatta Rock Camp

Manyatta Rock Camp
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Lovely location disinterested staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I recently stayed at Manyatta Rock camp for three days after staying in Zambia and en route to Mauritius, we arrived very late because of a flight delay but they booked us in quite quickly, we booked our game drives and then they had kept someone in the kitchen to provide our dinner. We had a bottle of wine which was quite expensive for South Africa but we got the impression the bar man could not wait to get rid of us so we retired to our rooms, someone came with us because it is a confusing place in the dark. The camp itself is a joy with wonderful views and the unique little rock igloos. As we had such a long day previously we decided to chill out by the pool, but the pool was quite dirty with rusty metal furniture and no bar or facilities, not a great experience. We went for a game drive that afternoon and saw quite a lot of animals including lions and stopped for a drink at sunset next to a pool containing hippos and a crocodile that lay in the water with its snout touching the land right by the side of our truck. On arrival I asked if I could borrow an adaptor for electricity as I had wrong information as to which type I needed, I was promised there would be a plan< I asked each day without success then was offered one on the day we were leaving which was no good and my mobile was dead. We did an all day safari in the Kruger National Park next day and that was very good but again our guide seemed to be in a rush to get back. The breakfast was OK but I found the quality of the food at dinner very poor and very badly cooked although it was expensive as were drinks. Overall the feeling we got from staff was that we were imposing on their time which was a shame as it could be a wonderful place, I think it was once much nicer but has been allowed to deteriorate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hopkinstownboy
KwaMadwala, Marketing Manager at Manyatta Rock Camp, responded to this review, November 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear that you were not one 100 % pleased with the staff performance at Kwa Madwala Private Game Reserve. We take this very seriously and will make sure that this will not happen again. We will discuss this in our next meeting.

I am glad that you did enjoy the Game Drives and the sightings.

Kind Regards
Tania

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, and unfortunatley the weather was miserable! Be aware that if you do not have any activites such as game drives booked, then there is nothing much to do here, besides a bush walk and swimming (not in rainy weather of course!) In saying that, we loved our stay, the rooms are nice, and we loved the outside shower. All the food that we had was delicious, and the service was great. We did a Full Day Kruger tour, which was excellent, and we also had a massage. All the staff were very helpful - I would maybe reccommend having some board games or such available for guests in case of rainy weather, just an idea. The staff mentioned that next year they are implementing a lot more activites, such a clay pigeon shooting etc. - I would love to visit again once all the activites have been implemented.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Josie L
KwaMadwala, Manager at Manyatta Rock Camp, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and sorry to hear that the weather was not nice during your visit.
The Summer months are usually the time when it rains in this area. It really gets very hot and us locals are very relieved when it rains for a few days. We also offer Elephant Back Safaris, Microlight Safaris and Horse Back Safaris on the reserve for a few years now.
The Adventure Center is almost finished and it will be opening later on in the year, we will then offer activities like ATV Safaris, Safari Paintball, Target and Clay Pigeon Shooting and an African Day Spa.
Like our Facebook page: Kwa Madwala Private Game Reserve as we will definitely announce the opening on there.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I spent a very enjoyable time here in September. I have given the Lodge just 3 stars based on the facilities but the experience was more 4 star

If you look at the reviews overall then they appear mixed. I think this is a mismatch against expectations.

I stayed as part of a Virgin Holidays package & the Lodge was much cheaper than many others in their brochure. I wonder if some people aren't quite thinking through what they get for their money compared to normal hotels. As part of my package there was airport pick up & delivery (could be 40 mins each way from the airport but currently can be much longer-a 1 hour delay for me - as the main road to Kruger (not just for this lodge) has somelong term large scale roadworks.. You also get game drives included & expect the tours to over run compared to the suggested times (a good thing of course!)

First thing to note is that Greg (chief guide) & Julia (I guess the equivalent of hotel manager) only joined in April. I would hazard that older reviews talking about unhelpful management are quite possibly irrelevant now. I thought the friendliness & helpfulness exceptional. As an example I had the wrong adapters for South Africa plug sockets so Julia took my camera home & charged it up for me overnight. You don't get that everywhere! The rest of the staff were also very friendly but the Lodge makes no secret of the fact that they are offering them training in tourism & hotel management so it may be that some staff might need to get a 2nd opinion from someone else- but you are on holiday so just chill out I am sure any question can get answered satisfactorily!

There are a variety of accomodations here- I stayed in an individual 2 room chalet with a sundeck. It was charming but for some perhaps basic (an effective air con though) but this is surely part of the experience & shown clearly on the website. The plumbing is unusual. The shower is outdoors- they say you can't be seen from other rooms but at a distance you can from paths! If you don't like that there is an indoor bath anyway. Apart from that I personally would have prefered a proper bathroom door - some of the rooms have smallish cowboy saloon style doors (whats that about?).

The food is simple and home made & there is limited choice. It is not Holiday Inn coffee shop. That won't be to everyones taste. A couple of the meals I had I thought tremendous but there were also courses that were not as successful but again for me this did not detract from the experience & I was certainly not expecting haute cuisine. The view from the restaurant was spectacular. Some of the rooms & terraces have good views but others views are (a bit) more limited by bushes. The pool area is small & not especially attractive. There are spa facilities already but I think that whilst I was there visitors weren't really interested in them & the resort is developing more

The game drives were excellent particularly the 'half day' one into Kruger which is more likely a three quarters day trip & not that different (apart from lunch out for the full day trip). Of the optional extras I really enjoyed the walk in the park led by Greg but thought the elephant experience just OK . Others in the Lodge raved about the elephant ride experience. The drives within the private park are also good- I didn't feel it was more of the same at all. All the guides are friendly & committed to finding the animals but some find full conversations in English more of a challenge

Note that there is a staff tip box but that the Lodge does not make it clear that the game drivers don't share the spoils so you may want to reward their undoubtedly long hours of work separately.

In conclusion I recommend the Lodge as a great & distinctive experience- don't go there expecting 5* international hotel style luxury - you are there to see the animals (with views & friendly staff thrown in). You can see from other reviews that many guests really enjoy their time- for man Kruger is a once in a lifetime thing - I can understand why some reviewers are a bit more grumpy but in terms of value for money this is a distinctive & fun option

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tastydogs
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a truthful feedback about Manyatta Rock Camp and Kwa Madwala Private Game Reserve. Manyatta Rock Camp is a lodge and definitely not a hotel and that is also not what we have tried to accomplish here. It is all about feeling at home, relaxed and in the bush and to enjoy all the unique activities that we have to offer. We do have a choice of red and white meat at dinner as most other lodges in South Africa. We are in the process of renewing our 4 star grading. We want our guests to be comfortable, enjoy delicious South African meals and most of all experience the bush and see as many animals as possible.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of May 2013. We honestly could not fault the place. The room was nice, comfortable and quiet, the bar/restaurant was superb with fantastic, high quality food (although massive portions!), and very friendly and attentive waiting on staff.

The guides for the game drives were brilliant, very knowledgable and reassuringly expert at tracking and finding animals.

We also took the optional day trip up to Kruger, which although cold first thing in the morning (they provide blankets at this time of year), was utterly amazing. Worth every penny.

The management were also spot on, nothing was a problem (not that we had any issues), and they all made the effort to come and chat to us during the meals.

In short, very highly recommended, we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 731James
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and food quality ranged from mediocre to inedible. Our last night we each ordered a glass of wine plus one for the guide. The next day we were charged for several glasses per night and it was extremely difficult to get them to even acknowledge that a mistake was made. We had reservations for trip inside park that they could not provide as a group just came in and filled the vehicle, we had to pay extra to see the elephants, and the wine experience made it certain we would not return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sean M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spent four days at Manyatta Rock Camp as the start of our honeymoon. We have been dreaming of a safari holiday for years and this place didn't disappoint. After such a long journey it was amazing to arrive here. On the drive up to the camp we saw giraffe, impala and a zebra, so a great start.

We were greeted with a cocktail and were totally blown away by the incredible view from the bar, we could have sat and looked at it all day. The rooms are like little stone igloos; very spacious and clean. We loved the outside shower and sleeping under a mosquito net. Our game drivers Victor and Luxon were great fun and very knowledgeable. We both felt like we learnt so much. As well as the animals they pointed out birds, insects and plants. During our four game drives we got very close to elephants, rhino, hippos, giraffes, impalas, kudu, warthogs and wildebeest. We were also lucky enough to see the lions, although the thick green foliage unfortunately made it very easy for them to run off and hide!

Would definitely recommend going to Kruger for the day, great to see bigger groups of animals and the scenery is stunning. We went with Luxon and he even managed to track down a leopard for us, which was incredible.

Food was good quality and very tasty. Loved our final knight when we enjoyed a boma and bbq outside at a candlelit table, very memorable. But what really makes this place is the wonderful staff who are all so kind, friendly and helpful. Nothing is too much trouble. Mike is very lucky to have such a great team around him.

Only criticism of this place would be that the pool area could do with a bit of smartening up, as there's not much to do between game drives. Otherwise the Manyatta Rock Camp is like a mini paradise. We really hope to be able to return one day.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nat_n_Andy_2012
Denham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

WOW! What an amazing place! My sister and I started our mini travel of South Africa in Sept 2011, with a 4 day stay at Kwa Madwala Manyatta Rock Camp and were so impressed with the experience! We prefered the evening drives and were lucky enough to see the lions eating on our first night - the game drivers are fantastic and full of knowledge! The Elephant back Safari is a must! One of the staff said to sleep with our doors open to hear the animal noises in the night - I would recommend this as the noises are incredible!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 10 in Malelane
Aan de Vliet
Aan de Vliet
#5 of 12 in Hazyview

Been to Manyatta Rock Camp? Share your experiences!