All reviews kagga kamma gravel road game drives rock formations cape town bushman paintings cave room get away hiking trails long drive self catering quad biking wonderful experience nature reserve sunset drive our honeymoon air conditioner
Reviewed January 8, 2014

If you truly want to disengage yourself from society, this is the place to go to. I saw this in a magazine and mentioned to my husband that I would really like to go and see for myself if this place is as nice as the article suggested. And it was. Kilometres of nothing, no city chaos. It was just amazing. Plus the bonus of NO TV, internet or cellphone reception makes it even more enjoyable.
Accommodation - we stayed in a cave. Yes, it is very hot but with smeltering degrees outside, there is basically nothing you can do about it. We also had the power dips, but they were back on in a flash. I would just may be recommend that the establishment erect some kind of a verandah outside the front door where your can sit - as soon as the sun hits high temps, you cannot sit out side. There is no shade.
Food - excellent. We read some reviews that it was expensive, but compared to what? We found for a private reserve, the meals/drinks were not expensive at all. It was more than affordable.
Spa - ugh, my husband treated me to a balancing facial & hair mask... it was wonderful and lying there, I thought I was in heaven. Would recommend it any day.
Service - overall very good, just somebody might want to train the barman a bit. Not the most friendly, nor social barman I have ever met.

Overall - I would recommend this any time.

Room Tip: Somebody else commented about the rooms in full sunlight, I would agree. You cannot even sit outside in the middle of the day without be scorged by the sunlight.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rina M
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Kagga Kamma is very secluded and truly away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Stunning rock formations on the drive in and throughout the reserve make it a stunning destination, with a night sky that will take your breath away! The chalets are very nicely done, however there are no fans which would help a lot in summer. There is a braai cum fireplace inside the living room which actually works fantastically and is cleaned out daily. All the employees and staff are very pleasant and helpful and the spa was very wonderful with such great service. The swimming pools are beautifully set in the rocks and well looked after and definitely a life saver in summer. The bar has wifi where vouchers can be purchased and a telephone that guests can use free of charge as there is zero signal in the area. They had a new years eve buffet dinner which was wonderfully done and included live music, we didn't make use of the restaurant however it looked very nice. Overall the reserve is very beautiful an serene and would recommend it for a holiday truly out of the way.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Darryn T
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was really looking forward to some peace and tranquility in a out of the way place, with no cell reception. I stayed for a week and spent a fair amount of time looking for any staff that would be availble to assist with ordering and receiving of meals. After 3 frustrating days I understood that expecting staff to be in dining room at meal times was just not going to happen. My aircon did not work for three days and although the resort was less than half full I was expected to continue in the 40C plus cave room, which was expectionally uncomfortable. The rangers Arrie, Nicolas,and reception (Megan, Tracy) and Spa (Marcel) really went out of thier way to go over and beyond their functions as well as host guests and address any issues. The barmen was very scarce, and had zero training in terms of how to handle a bottle of wine or any guest request. Over the 7 days, the manager remained in her office with no attempts to interact with any of the guests. The only time that the manager left her office is when her own personal guests arrived. The meals were very hit and miss, and when I enquired from the chef, I was told whats on the menu is "actually not what we have ever served"??? Sometimes the food was similar to the menu and some meals were nothing like the description. I would not recommend this experience. To the resort I would suggest some staff training, and management leadership might greatly improve the quality of the service.

Room Tip: Do not get a cave in direct sunlight in summer time as the room temperature sky rockets with no options to open doors or windows as it just gets hotter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Shellydevo
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The staff is excellent and I would rate them 5 stars. The accomodations were actually acceptable, with some minor things I think would bring them up to 5 stars.

Staff:

The staff at Kagga Kamma were very attentive, often going out of their way to accomodate us. We had a long morning one time and they allowed us to get lunch outside of the normal hours.

Accomodation:
The accomodation was actually nice. We slept in the Honeymoon suite and it met our expectations. It would have been helpful to have even a tiny wardrobe to put clothes in. We heard from other guests that the Huts have a wardrobe, so if you do not want to live out of a suitcase then you might want to consider them over the caves. There is just no way to separate your clean clothing from what you have already worn/used without a wardrobe. We saw other reviews discussing electricity being turned off at night but this never happened to us. Kagga Kamma is on Solar power and there were a few glitches where the electric went off a couple times but never for more than a few minutes.

Accomodation options:
If you are celebrating something special the romantic turn down service is well worth the price. We were celebrating our anniversary and I opted for the turn down and my spouse was delighted. Just a hint for all the other guys out there.

Internet Access:
I really did not worry about this. You don't go to places like Kagga Kamma to stay connected with the rest of the world anyway, so having to pay for internet was not really a concern of ours.

Food:
The food was plentiful. Very large portions. It was well presented and appetizing. You can choose at booking to be either Ala Carte or have full board (without drinks). If you choose ala carte there is no meal/entree that seemed over priced. In fact considering portion size I would say they are a very good value.

Activities:
Kagga Kamma offers 5 guided activities. They dont have a lot of predators so don't expect to see lions and such, but we did see some new species of game that we had not seen in other places. The Highlight for us was the star gazing. Even without a telescope you can see more stars there than anywhere I have been in a long time. We had wind so it wasn't the best viewing but it was still amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms 14 and 15 are the only 2 caves that I saw which were not connected. 15 is the honeymoon suite, but I think cave 14 has a better view from the balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I had the wonderful experience of overnighting at this 'famous' reserve establishment in the Kouebokkeveld region between the Cederberg and Karoo region. This resort is pricey but we were very impressed with what we actually got for our money.. All meals and 2 activities of your choice. The reception (Megan and the rangers) were very welcoming and a late lunch was prepared for us ...it's a long way on dirt roads and a high clearance or 4x4 type vehicle is recommended. (Sedan type cars will make it but will be stressed). We were shown to our cave room and it's a real novelty and well appointed although it might be a tad small for some. Our cave had an en suite bathroom with shower and toilet but water pressure is low. Bed comfort and linen is of a very good quality. It was my wife's birthday and the staff had placed an ice bucket with champagne and a card in the room for her without me even asking for this ! What a nice touch ...thanks guys ! The views from the bed is great as it overlooks the wide open 'nothingness' of the desolate landscape of the area. We chose not do any activities as we had already been traveling for days and just wished to rest in the tranquility ! My wife did however visit the spa facility for a deluxe massage. She said it was amazing ! Not too pricey either so can highly recommend this.
The dinner is a la carte and was very nice (we had the ostrich fillet and lamb chops) both cooked to perfection and we thoroughly enjoyed the service at all meals. Rangers also made sure that all guests were happy and enjoying their meals. I have read the other reviews on trip advisor and some folks have valid issues but in general I feel that we were lucky with our experience and therefore can't fault the lodge and staff during our visit. We do feel that the reserve is not going to give you a "game reserve" experience, more stillness and open spaces. The caves are also not individual but most are co joined and therefore not as private as one expects. We also found them to not be very sound insulative and therefore if some loud snorer or 'romantic' couple were in the cave next to yours....hmmm , well , let's leave it at that! But overall a very different experience with an enjoyable swimming pool built into the rocks! Thanks to the very attentive staff and grounds men.

Room Tip: Try to book an individual cave or ask for one far from other occupied caves for greater privacy !
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple