All reviewskagga kammagravel roadgame drivesrock formationscape townbushman paintingscave roomget awayhiking trailslong driveself cateringquad bikingwonderful experiencenature reservesunset driveour honeymoonair conditioner
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed there the weekend of the 6th of September with 3 other friends and what an experience! The outlook-points or viewing points are just to die for, buy an extra battery for your camera because you will take a million photos because each one is different! It is so safe, you feel so free, you feel like you are on another planet it is absolute blissful. The people were really helpful, the service is a bit slow at the restaurant but you dont mind as the view is gorgeous. So much to do, a weekend is definitely way too short would love to go back there and stay for a week. We experienced a massage as well and it was really a treat! The self-catering apartments were beautiful and have everything that you need I will definitely recommend this place to all my friends. The bedding is crisp white and aircons and stunning fire places. The stars are beautiful and the peace you cannot describe.

Room Tip: the self-catering was so worth-it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Annalien K
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a special place and the people who explain it to you do so brilliantly. Accommodation is a combination of chalets, huts and "caves" (rooms built into the rock with some concrete assistance). Food is well prepared from good ingredients but is a little bit stuck in the 1970s - though if you're getting some exercise out there you'll be grateful for the solid nourishment. The real star is the fynbos estate, 15,000 hectares of it, and when we visited this weekend, in the first burst of spring. Game stocks include zebra, wildebeest and bontebok, but walking around one of the hiking trails (blue - a good three hours of total absorption) we saw a Cape Eagle Owl, frogs, endless lizards and some of the most jawdropping vistas I've seen in half a lifetime of pretty regular travel. Plus you really are in the middle of the wilderness. So if you want cutting edge toiletries there are plenty of international hotel chains ready to oblige, and if you want the latest in culinary practice, the Cape's full of great restaurants. But you'd be missing the point.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SE27Eagle
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Kagga kamma.

Well where shall I start?
I know the good bits-
Staff- reception and the Game Rangers were very good.
Ummmm
The bed was very comfortable........
Driving around the Reserve in my own 4x4 was very enjoyable especially during a snow storm.
The area was stunning even in the extreme cold, that just added to the whole experience, snow, sunshine, rain and all the time more snow on the distant Mountains around the Ceres.
Don't expect to see much Game, we saw 2 Wildebeest and that included the same one twice!
Maybe they were hiding because of the snow.

We stayed in a cave!
Well a room with two real rocks in- cooperated and a lot of fibre glass rocks to make a ceiling etc.
Don't get me wrong it was fine, but sold as something different on the website.

We were quite happy with the accommodation, we had aircon for some heat and also brought along a small electric heater to give some warmth to the bathroom (other reviews mentioned how cold the rooms were).
The shower was no more than a trickle, because of low water pressure.

Both swimming pools looked very good, if you are thinking of visiting in the summer.

Now we get to the dodgy bit!
The restaurant was like something from Faulty Towers, I think Manuel was the chef though!
The Bar and restaurant Staff were terrible, it's like we the customer were an in-convenience and had walked uninvited into their front room.
Friday night was a Buffet night, the starters consisted of a terrine, calamari, mussels all in edible they were an embarrassment. The only edible part was the bought in chicken nuggets!
The mains consisted of Nuked Chicken & some sort of game ( I think?) for mains they kept taking the meat from the hot plate and re- heating it!
The desert was OK because it was a bought in Malva Pudding.
All this for R240 per head.
I Would not have fed it to my dog (I don't actually have a dog but you get my gist)!

I did go and mention this to reception after dinner, and apparently it was the first night they had done a Buffett.
I would have gladly paid a 100 Rand more for something decent.
At least with an al a carte menu you can choose not to order and pay for more if you don't like what you see.

The second night was al a carte!
We played it safe and went for beef steak with roast potatoes and veggies.........
Well a very nice steak, with 2 small carrot strips, 2 single green beans, a slice of raw pepper and two hard potatoes
The potatoes got sent back, but never returned!
We were asked if our food was OK, by the serving staff (no) by the Manager ( what Manager), no it was one of the rangers!
He went to ask about the under cooked potatoes, apparently the chef told him "The Whole Bag of Potatoes was Faulty".
Bless Manuel, perhaps he meant Fawlty!!

The restaurant, bar and kitchen staff lack direction & Management, there did not seem to be anybody taking charge or responsibility apart from the Game Ranger, but I don't think even he would have washed the dirty table cloths!

We booked on a Groupon deal, so saved some money.
Would we return?
No not even with another Groupon deal.

3  Thank Froggy23
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked a cave for a night for my husband's birthday. The whole experience was awesome, from the moment we checked in until when we checked out the following morning. I can not fault in any way the service that was provided by the staff - the food at the restaurant was delicious and very prompt in delivery.
Our cave, while smallish, was cosy and very inviting. The lights had been installed in the roof to make it look, from a distance, like natural light coming through the ceiling - a nice touch. The tiles were cold to walk on, but in saying that, there was a rug on the floor beside the bed. There was ample bedding to keep us warm at night, along with an A/C - heater unit. We were quite happy to amuse ourselves, wandering around the grounds, admiring the pool, and doing the 3km loop trail (which took us through great rock formations and along the edge of a small stream to some rock art). Breakfast the following morning was a great affair, with a selection of cereals, fruit, and juices to chose from, along with hot items of your choosing.
There was no tv in the room, but this actually added to the atmosphere, rather than detracting from it. If you're in need of your daily fix, a tv is located in the bar area. Due to my desire to sleep in the outside area (which we were unable to do due to the cold front coming through), I corresponded with management several times over the course of making the booking and arriving, and they were awesome in their correspondence with me. All up, we really rated this place, the location, the food, and the service, and hope to return here when the in-laws come to visit!!!

2  Thank TracyO07
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The road is long and hard but that is what 4x4's are for , a wonderful get away you can’t beat the scenery both during the day and the stars at night, I have been all over this wonderful and beautiful country of ours, and am yet to find the peace I find each time I go to Kagga Kamma, put it on your bucket list, a must.

Room Tip: Chalet 10 what a view and close to the pool
1  Thank John R