All reviews kagga kamma gravel road game drives rock formations cape town bushman paintings cave room get away hiking trails long drive self catering quad biking wonderful experience nature reserve sunset drive our honeymoon air conditioner
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a special place and the people who explain it to you do so brilliantly. Accommodation is a combination of chalets, huts and "caves" (rooms built into the rock with some concrete assistance). Food is well prepared from good ingredients but is a little bit stuck in the 1970s - though if you're getting some exercise out there you'll be grateful for the solid nourishment. The real star is the fynbos estate, 15,000 hectares of it, and when we visited this weekend, in the first burst of spring. Game stocks include zebra, wildebeest and bontebok, but walking around one of the hiking trails (blue - a good three hours of total absorption) we saw a Cape Eagle Owl, frogs, endless lizards and some of the most jawdropping vistas I've seen in half a lifetime of pretty regular travel. Plus you really are in the middle of the wilderness. So if you want cutting edge toiletries there are plenty of international hotel chains ready to oblige, and if you want the latest in culinary practice, the Cape's full of great restaurants. But you'd be missing the point.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SE27Eagle
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Kagga kamma.

Well where shall I start?
I know the good bits-
Staff- reception and the Game Rangers were very good.
Ummmm
The bed was very comfortable........
Driving around the Reserve in my own 4x4 was very enjoyable especially during a snow storm.
The area was stunning even in the extreme cold, that just added to the whole experience, snow, sunshine, rain and all the time more snow on the distant Mountains around the Ceres.
Don't expect to see much Game, we saw 2 Wildebeest and that included the same one twice!
Maybe they were hiding because of the snow.

We stayed in a cave!
Well a room with two real rocks in- cooperated and a lot of fibre glass rocks to make a ceiling etc.
Don't get me wrong it was fine, but sold as something different on the website.

We were quite happy with the accommodation, we had aircon for some heat and also brought along a small electric heater to give some warmth to the bathroom (other reviews mentioned how cold the rooms were).
The shower was no more than a trickle, because of low water pressure.

Both swimming pools looked very good, if you are thinking of visiting in the summer.

Now we get to the dodgy bit!
The restaurant was like something from Faulty Towers, I think Manuel was the chef though!
The Bar and restaurant Staff were terrible, it's like we the customer were an in-convenience and had walked uninvited into their front room.
Friday night was a Buffet night, the starters consisted of a terrine, calamari, mussels all in edible they were an embarrassment. The only edible part was the bought in chicken nuggets!
The mains consisted of Nuked Chicken & some sort of game ( I think?) for mains they kept taking the meat from the hot plate and re- heating it!
The desert was OK because it was a bought in Malva Pudding.
All this for R240 per head.
I Would not have fed it to my dog (I don't actually have a dog but you get my gist)!

I did go and mention this to reception after dinner, and apparently it was the first night they had done a Buffett.
I would have gladly paid a 100 Rand more for something decent.
At least with an al a carte menu you can choose not to order and pay for more if you don't like what you see.

The second night was al a carte!
We played it safe and went for beef steak with roast potatoes and veggies.........
Well a very nice steak, with 2 small carrot strips, 2 single green beans, a slice of raw pepper and two hard potatoes
The potatoes got sent back, but never returned!
We were asked if our food was OK, by the serving staff (no) by the Manager ( what Manager), no it was one of the rangers!
He went to ask about the under cooked potatoes, apparently the chef told him "The Whole Bag of Potatoes was Faulty".
Bless Manuel, perhaps he meant Fawlty!!

The restaurant, bar and kitchen staff lack direction & Management, there did not seem to be anybody taking charge or responsibility apart from the Game Ranger, but I don't think even he would have washed the dirty table cloths!

We booked on a Groupon deal, so saved some money.
Would we return?
No not even with another Groupon deal.

3  Thank Froggy23
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I booked a cave for a night for my husband's birthday. The whole experience was awesome, from the moment we checked in until when we checked out the following morning. I can not fault in any way the service that was provided by the staff - the food at the restaurant was delicious and very prompt in delivery.
Our cave, while smallish, was cosy and very inviting. The lights had been installed in the roof to make it look, from a distance, like natural light coming through the ceiling - a nice touch. The tiles were cold to walk on, but in saying that, there was a rug on the floor beside the bed. There was ample bedding to keep us warm at night, along with an A/C - heater unit. We were quite happy to amuse ourselves, wandering around the grounds, admiring the pool, and doing the 3km loop trail (which took us through great rock formations and along the edge of a small stream to some rock art). Breakfast the following morning was a great affair, with a selection of cereals, fruit, and juices to chose from, along with hot items of your choosing.
There was no tv in the room, but this actually added to the atmosphere, rather than detracting from it. If you're in need of your daily fix, a tv is located in the bar area. Due to my desire to sleep in the outside area (which we were unable to do due to the cold front coming through), I corresponded with management several times over the course of making the booking and arriving, and they were awesome in their correspondence with me. All up, we really rated this place, the location, the food, and the service, and hope to return here when the in-laws come to visit!!!

2  Thank TracyO07
Reviewed August 27, 2013

The road is long and hard but that is what 4x4's are for , a wonderful get away you can’t beat the scenery both during the day and the stars at night, I have been all over this wonderful and beautiful country of ours, and am yet to find the peace I find each time I go to Kagga Kamma, put it on your bucket list, a must.

Room Tip: Chalet 10 what a view and close to the pool
1  Thank John R
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We unfortunately only had one night to stay at this wonderful camp, our biggest disappointment. Our stay was pretty much perfect in every way and can’t really make any complaints. From check-in the check-out we were very well looked after by the great staff.

The natural setting of the resort is fantastic, nestled in amongst weird and wild rock formations of the southern Cederberg mountains. The drive into the resort from Ceres, about 1 hour, is very scenic and increases in beauty as you approach the resort. The place is very much in tune with the natural surroundings, with many of the rooms (cave rooms) actually built into the rock formations and made to look like part of the landscape. The reception/restaurant/bar area comprises one building and is very tastefully decorated. The ambience inside is very cozy, especially with the open fireplaces in action (in winter). The pool area was really interesting – a small pool nestled amongst some cool sandstone pillars – very attractive. Too bad the water wasn’t hot, as it would’ve been a nice place to soak on a cool winter day.

We had a “cave” room which, as described above, was built to resemble a cave. From the outside it looks just like the surrounding sandstone cliffs and pillars. The inside is decorated to look like the inside of a cave, with lots of well-placed lighting giving it a nice ambience. A large plate glass sliding door lets in the afternoon sunlight and provides outstanding views of the sun setting over the Cederberg. The room is nicely decorated with high-quality fittings and with all the normal luxuries you’d expect in a resort room – really nice and comfortable, with a good AC/heater mounted on the wall. The shower was hot and felt extremely luxurious in this remote desert camp. The room was spotlessly clean and well-maintained. Needless to say, we had a wonderfully refreshing and undisturbed sleep as the full moon shone through the glass doors. The cave rooms are located only a short walk from the main facilities, maybe 100m at the most, so not far at all.

As for things to do, there is definitely no shortage. There are several nice hiking trails of differing lengths, tons of 4WD tracks, mountains biking trails, game viewing trails, etc. The resort rents out quad bikes as well if you want to get out and do some riding. Great trails for running or walking. The resort also offers opportunities for game drives – morning and evening. There are no predators around so it is safe to go out walking.

We were very impressed with the quality of the food at the restaurant. I ordered the chicken while my wife ordered the beef fillet. Both were excellent, as were all the starters and desserts. Likewise the breakfast, with eggs made to order, was mouthwatering delicious. The service was very attentive, prompt, friendly, and professional. After dinner we went into the bar and there were a few locals playing guitar and singing – quite a good evening, very enjoyable.

Overall we had a great stay at this resort. We would definitely recommend it to other travelers and we definitely plan to stay here again. Great stay and reasonably good value for money.

2  Thank DanO68