“Not what we expected and not great”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hummelstown
Hersheypark Camping Resort
Maywood, New Jersey
“Not what we expected and not great”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you like trains, this place is for you. Trains blowing whistles all day and all night, several times each hour becomes annoying. We had a site on the hill but were moved down by the river. We were surrounded by tents, which is fine, if it wasn't an all night party for many staying in the tents.
Also, our site seemed to be the cut through to the river. It was fine when people asked, but many came walking through without asking and in a drunken stupor late at night. Not at all enjoyable.
The pros are the cost if you are going to the park. It costs a lot less than the hotels and provides a shuttle that makes it easy to access the park. The pools are nice but very crowded.
I would not return to this campground, it honestly felt more like a parking spot than a campground. There are big rigs almost on top of each other, not my idea of a nice site!

Room Tip: Don't stay if you are a light sleeper
1 Thank mamaduck1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My entire family and I have been going here for over 15 years a we are about to go for the 16th time in a month and we truly love this place!

When we first came it wasn't like it is today but we still loved it because the smell of nature to us is just wonderful. The bathrooms are a lot cleaner, the pool is great, the playground is also great, the shop and arcade are also great!

The bus to chocolate world and/or Hershey park is very convenient and you will not have to wait for a long time to get on the next one. This will be our 6th year camping near the train and yes it's extremely noisy but we got so used to it after the 2nd night, not to mentio we always go for an entire week. You might think we get really bored but we don't, we love relaxing and spending quality time with each other. Not to mention I am only 17 and I've been here for 15 years already And I'm trying to make it longer than at least 40 cause its just great to come here and relax and have fun with the family.

• Stayed August 2012
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Be aware, there are trains. We aren't talking about the occasional train that you hear 3 miles in the distance and it sounds nostalgic. We're talking 24/7 trains several times every hour roaring past your campsite, causing the ground to shake and of course waking you up so you can worry if it will derail at that very moment. At least they weren't blowing their horns. The website does mention trains, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Most of the sites near the train tracks are back-in, so keep that in mind too. Make sure when you make your reservation they give you a pull through spot on the other side of the campground away from the train tracks. It would be quieter there. Other than the trains, the place is pretty nice. Nice pool area. Store was good and the prices didn't seem out of line. Free shuttle to the park and Chocolate World. Restrooms were clean. We would stay again, but a pull through site would be mandatory.

1 Thank Larry W
Greenlawn, New York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in one of the regular cabins for two nights in August 2012 with our 8 year old daughter. We booked late, in May and these were the only 2 days available. We spent the days at Hershey Park and it was a great experience. The Cabins were clean and bathrooms were close-by, clean and never crowded. There were some ants, so don't leave open food out. My daughter was thrilled with the whole experience. The grounds were pretty, with wildflowers, and there was a nice pool and playground for the kids. We made a fire one night and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. The pool was not heated, but it was comfortable in August. At night they showed an outdoor movie on a grassy hill. The bus to Hershey Park was super convenient and we used it each day. On one night there was a terrible thunder storm and we felt sorry for those in the tents, but we were fine in the cabin. The train did not bother us at all. One tip is to look at the map and get a cabin close to a bathroom if you know you'll have to make a night run (and take a flashlight). To finish our vacation we spent another next 3 nights at a farmhouse in Lancaster (Country Log House Farm), where our daughter played with the animals, went on tractor rides, visited Amish country and had dinner with an Amish family.

Room Tip: Look at the map and get a cabin close to a bathroom if you know you'll have to make a night run...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rodalb
Nana1955
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We were in the Hershey area for a sold out concert. All of the surrounding hotels/motels were booked up. We decided to just tent for the night and go to the amusement park the next day after the concert. At first glance, this appears to be a nice campground. The check in staff were friendly and helpful, the camp grounds looked beautiful and there were three pools. I reserved our tenting site using the 1-800 reservation line. Because it was a holiday weekend, I was told I had to reserve and pay for a minimum 3 night stay even though we only planned to stay one night. When I asked about this at check in, turns out we were in "the overflow" camping area and the 3 night minimum didn't apply there. The staff corrected my reservation and refunded the two extra nights. Nice! However, since we had no official camping site we were directed to an area where we could set up our tent anywhere we could find a space. We were told we needed to keep our campsite at least 50 feet away from the cabins, pavilion and other structures. We were went to the Coaster Crest camping area. Here is when the "nice campground" impression turned into a "nightmare". We drove along the gravel road and found a flat area between some other tents. We set up our tent about 20-25 feet from the other tents. Turns out the spot we picked was in the middle of what appeared to be a large family reunion. There must have been 50 or more interrelated people in this small area. They traipsed back and forth around us, partied, sang, talked and carried on from the time we arrived at 3pm until 4am. Their kids played football and games and ran around our tent like we were invisible. If the campground had "quiet hours" I think it started at 7am when we got up. After "the neighbors" settled in for their sleep at 4am, the hourly freight trains, ambulance and police sirens, helicopters and speeding by car or truck and occasional crying baby were the next prevailing sleep disrupting sounds we encountered. At daylight, we got up to prepare for our day at the park. Our granddaughters decided to not use the showers because they were the most disgusting ones they had ever seen and....we camp often! We packed up and headed out without any rest. We will never,ever camp here again. If you are going to be in an RV or camper, you may have a different experience. But, you have been forewarned. ;)

Room Tip: Avoid camp sites along the railroad tracks!
1 Thank Nana1955
New York, New York
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Oh man, what a rough two days.
First, we arrived on a Saturday afternoon and headed straight for check-in. Easy as it gets with a happy and friendly staff. After check-in we proceeded to go to our assigned site and this is where it all went down hill. We were greeted by a neighboring campsite with over twenty people sitting in it. The campers had combined a couple of sites into one and it was one big party. Keep in mind that, much to my surprise, there is about thirty feet(very rough estimate) in between campsites. So, I came from the city for some relaxation and got the same apartment living only without the walls.
Next, as I admired the lazy river next to our site we started to set up our tents. In the process we were greeted by a man from another site who decided to cut through our site to get to the river. As I pointed out to him that the rules of the campground clearly state a person cannot enter other sites he decided to tell me he did not speak English...in clear English.
Finally, the location. the campground is located in between some sort of industrial complex and a freight train track. Both operate twenty four hours a day. Need I say more.
I have a general rule for vacations. I will pay the extra money so I can get away from my frustrations and enjoy myself. I broke this rule to make others happy and I will never do it again. Always remember the caliber of people a place attracts when it charges fifty bucks a night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank lut5556
Cocoa, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The campground is VERY crowded. I would definitely not recommend trying to tent camp here. We had a one bedroom cabin on the #1-4 road, and man was it L-O-U-D. Between the (what felt like) millions of campers and (what was definitely) the very noisy trains, it was a tough night. Couple that with the paper thin, metal bar lumpy sofa bed and you've got a recipe for a bad night's sleep. The mattresses in the bedroom where the kids slept were a nice high quality, but I ended up getting my air mattress from the car instead of using the sofa bed.

The staff seemed a little disengaged for the most part. You know, that kind of mopey 'whatdya need' type of service.

On the upside, the pools were great. Not at all crowded. I wish they opened earlier than 10AM, but... There is also a nice game room with some regular video games and some ticket dispensing games.

The camp store has pretty much anything you could need, but bring your own firewood, kindling and matches. The stuff they sold me for about a buck a piece (and no kindling) was not completely cured, and so it wouldn't, y'know, burn. Kind of a bummer. There is a grocery store, a KMart, and food galore within a mile also.

Room Tip: The cabins are very cozy. But noisy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Greg W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hummelstown
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Super 8 Hershey
Super 8 Hershey
#3 of 25 in Hershey
Courtyard Hershey Chocolate Avenue

Been to Hersheypark Camping Resort? Share your experiences!