“For a Comfort Inn, four stars”

Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hummelstown
Reviewed November 18, 2013

First about my rating:
I tend to rate properties in comparison to similar brands. Thus I have certain expectations when I stay at Comfort Inn, Best Western, LaQuinta, etc and higher ones for Sheraton, Westin, and Marriotts. When I looked at the reviews for for this property and saw mostly four and five stars, I assume that is for the four hotels in Hummelstown. So please don't think the three stars I've given it reflect negatives. For a Comfort Inn or like brand i give it four stars. Apples and oranges, folks!

I stayed here overnight prior to a day-long visit to Hershey-the sweetest place on earth! Most Hershey attractions are a ten or so minute drive, and you really don't get the Hershey flavor or feel in Hummelstown. The property is located just off an awkward intersection off the main road. There's really not much within walking distance which overlooks mostly storage buildings.

But other than that, the hotel is clean, fresh, and a great value. My guest room was pretty typical and not a true suite consisting of separate rooms. Wi-fi was strong,and there was a plethora of outlets for charging electronic devices, Bath was well maintained.

I was a bit overwhelmed by the marching band that invaded the complimentary breakfast, which was very average with the usual pastries, cereals, and fruit. The only hot item was biscuits and gravy unless you made your own waffles.

There's no reason to hesitate in booking this property, particularly if you like a great value!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Good Afternoon Lee S!

Thank you for giving us some feedback and the generous four star rating. I am happy to hear that you find us a great value. The entire staff takes great pride in the cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel and I am glad that it shows.

I do apologize for the invasion of the high school marching band at breakfast. We did our best to try to inform guests ahead of time in order to beat the rush of the large crowd. Rest assured this is not a common occurrence and we would love to show you how relaxing a stay here can be should you ever be in the Hershey/Harrisburg area in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Hotel is clean, accommodating, staff very friendly. Pool is small BUT has a lift chair for disabled persons to enter pool. Breakfast buffet satisfactory. Location of the hotel is a bit confusing, and I had trouble with the GPS. The binder in the room has some outdated information regarding restaurants, but the staff wasn't aware of the information problem either. Room was clean and well lit, we had a small living room area and two queen size beds. I would like the hotel to have some assisted technologies (shower chair, shower heads and hoses, disabled chairs, etc). Also, desk isn't comfortable to dine upon - desk handle sticks out too far to be comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Good Morning Dave W.

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule and also for choosing the Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey for your recent visit to our area. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and am delighted that you found our staff helpful.

The Comfort Suites does have assistive devices such as hand held shower heads and etc. available in our accessible access rooms and if available, our guest services agent will switch your room upon request to one for no additional fees.

Once again, Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Our group stayed in 7 rooms for 1 night during our stopover in Harrisburg. Every room was well appointed. Both sitting room and bath room were spacious and clean. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Highly recommended if you are visiting Hershey or Harrisburg.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hi arangemus!

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write a review of our hotel. The associates and myself are happy to hear that you find us a excellent value and that our staff anticipated all of your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back when travelling in the Hershey/Harrisburg area.

PS.... Great pictures!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

What I learned today: Choice Hotels Customer Service are HOME AGENTS - which means they work out of their homes and their only capability is to refer you back to the hotel that you have a problem with. Per John, the at home supervisor - they can't call a hotel on your behalf - they can only refer you back to the hotel manager. What a job!!!!!!

We have been staying at this hotel since it opened in August 2009. It was always clean and the staff very friendly.

HOWEVER - our last two stays have been VERY DISAPPOINTING and this past weekend I reserved two rooms for guest speakers to our foundations fundraising event and we paid for the hotel room and taxes. Our guests gave a credit card for incidentals. Now mind you - there is only a small convenience store behind the front desk - no room service - no stocked mini bar.

Our guest speaker called to let me know that he had a $84.75 charge from the hotel on his debit card.

I called the hotel and I was told by Nathan - the FRONT DESK clerk - that it is the hotels policy to activate a credit card by posting a pending charge to credit cards and then reverse them upon check-out.

As a guest YOU ARE NOT TOLD ABOUT THIS PENDING CHARGE and it can be held against your credit/debit card for days.

To me this is FRAUDULENT posting to a persons credit card.
And if they post this "Inquiry" to your debit card - it is held against your balance.

I understand that hotels need to be sure they are given valid credit cards - but to charge almost $85 is ridiculous.

I feel that the hotel owes me and my guests an apology and that "Nathan" needs a customer service refresher class to say the least.

So needless to say I was very embarrassed when

Room Tip: As this hotel is often filled with travel groups of teenagers - High School Band groups, cheerleader...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BRIDGEWATER_11
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Good Morning BRIDGEWATER_11!

I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey was not as pleasant as you expected and would like to hopefully address some of your issues you had with both the hotel and Choice Hotels International.

Customer Services Agents are based at home - Each Choice Hotel International property is individually owned and operated. The customer services agents being based at home is a decision that Choice Hotels made and not the individual properties. They are instructed to refer back to hotel’s general manager (that being me) in effort to give me a chance to resolve the issue directly with the guest. My direct phone number is 717.566.3000, extension 501 or you can email me at avenuto@padutchhotels.com.

Credit cards given at check in – Credit cards are requested at check in for several reasons. One reason is if the guest purchases anything from our gift shop, as you noted, or should make phone calls or order movies. The other reason we request a credit card at check in is in case of damages to the room or if a guest should extend their stay without your permission so you will only be liable for what you authorized us to charge to your credit card since you were taking care of your guest’s stay. It is clearly stated on the guest registration card that we do put a “hold” on a guests credit card and depending on the bank it may take 7 to 10 days for the bank to reverse the charge.

I am happy however you find our facility clean and are staff friendly. The staff takes great pride and in this and I’m glad it shows.

Once again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and on behalf of the hotel, please accept my deepest apologies.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

This hotel is close to the Hershey attractions, (approximately 10 miles ) It is a new hotel with a swimming pool and large, well appointed rooms.. The staff on the front desk are eager to provide assistance. There are several fast food establishments located together on your way to the Hershey parks. Have stayed at different hotels in this area but this has proven to be the best so far.

Room Tip: Has a corner room with king bed that was quite spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Greetings jbm1981!

On behalf of the entire staff here at the Comfort Suites Hershey/Harrisburg thank you for your kind words about our hotel and front desk associates. It means a lot to hear that you have chosen our hotel to be one of the best in the area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Your Friend,

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Clean, modern furnitures reminded me of other three-star hotels that I normally stay at. Comfort Suites actually had extra space in the living area that is divided by a mini wall. Conveniently located 15 minutes to either Hershypark or Harrisburg center. My family had a good, quiet night of sleep on comfortable beds. All would've been perfect if not for annoying bathtub drainage problems. A bit hard to find on first night since the hotel is located in an awkward, diagonal hill off Route 322; I guess you can say it's a "hidden gem".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Good Morning TravelinWitKids!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review about the Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey. Myself and the staff is excited to hear that you found our hotel suitable for your needs and that you think we are a hidden gem.

The staff and management takes great pride in our property and i'm glad it shows.

We look forward to welcoming you back often and wish you safe travels in the future.

Your friend,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for a trip to Hersheypark and the Lancaster area. The room was very clean and spacious, and the king size bed was comfortable. I would have given this place 4 stars but there were a couple issues I couldn't overlook.

First, we were on the second floor, room 211, which faces the front of the hotel where all the commotion from outside prevented us from getting to sleep before 11pm or so. I always get top floor on a hotel for this reason, and to not have anyone making excessive noise above, but they only had the second floor, so I didn't have a choice. But nonetheless, every room in a hotel should be accommodating, otherwise why even have the room in a situation that is uncomfortable for the guest. Besides the room facing the noisy front of the hotel, it was right outside the elevator and ice machine. So every few minutes we had to hear an annoying ding-dong from the elevator, and many times an hour, including in the middle of the night, the ice machine would make a horrible racket.

Secondly, the mattress of the sleeper sofa was absolutely unacceptable. It was maybe 4 inches thick and actually had the springs inside the mattress. After trying this complete failure for a mattress for only a few minutes, my back was already killing me. My daughter couldn't lay on it either, so she had to squeeze between me and my wife, which was ok for only a two night stay, but it would have become a real problem if our visit was any longer.

Besides these negatives, I can say the free breakfast was just ok -- the coffee really sucked -- and the WiFi access was good and the workout room seemed nice, although I didn't use it.

So 2 stars it is. 3 stars is supposed to be for average, but I didn't find this stay average. I'd give it 2.5 stars if you could give half stars, so 2 it is.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
CSHersheyGM, Owner at Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Good Afternoon dspenard!

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to write a review about our hotel. The staff aIong with the management take great pride in our property and I am glad you found your room spacious and very clean during your stay.

Unfortunately you did not find our sofa bed comfortable and I do apologize for that. The mattress on a commerical sofa bed can only be so thick do to space concerns when it is folded up and in storage. May I suggest for your next stay to request a room with either 2 queen beds or a rollaway bed which you might find more suitable to your needs.

As for the location of your room, we did do some research and found you either made your reservation through Expedia or Hotels.com which is owned by the same company. Unfortunately, when you book through a 3rd party site (such as Expedia or Hotels.com) they do not always book the room you want, rather a room that is avaialble. May I suggest the next time you make a reservation to call the hotel directlty in advance to make sure all of your needs are met.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the Comfort Suites and wish you safe travels in the future.

Anthony

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hummelstown
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey Near The Park
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Econo Lodge Hershey
Econo Lodge Hershey
#14 of 25 in Hershey

Been to Comfort Suites Hummelstown-Hershey? Share your experiences!