“pretty cool”

Indian Echo Caverns
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Hummelstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Natural Splendor along the Swatara.Like many caverns in the Mid-Atlantic states, Indian Echo Caverns is a limestone cave. Cut through Beekmantown limestone, which is over 440 million years old, they were formed through the erosive properties of water. As time progressed, geological forces led to an "uplift" of the surrounding limestone, eventually allowing more and more water to flow through the formation. As the water flowed over the limestone, it began to create small crevices, these small crevices led to larger ones, and eventually, over a series of millions of years, it created the caverns as they are today.The temperature inside the caverns is 52 degrees year around.
baltimore, md
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“pretty cool”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

A great diversion if you are in the Hershey area. The caverns are beautiful and our tour guide was witty and knowledgeable. He still seemed to enjoy his job even though I am sure he had gone into the caverns thousands of times. The caverns are fascinating and give you a great appreciation for how the earth's geologic forces work. Also try the Gem Mill Junction right outside of the gift shop. You buy a bag of sand and sift through it in a water filled trough. Your kids will think they are truly prospectors looking for diamonds and rare gems. It is good fun.

1 Thank fawn3620

Atlantic County, NJ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable.”
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We took my 3 and 6 year old children to see the Indian Echo Caverns. This was there first time in a cave and I was curious what their reaction would be.

You may have read about the 72 steps it takes to get down to and up from the cavern. I didn't find the walk too tiring and a small bench along the way provides a place to rest.

The cave is darker than some places I've been to, but that adds to the natural beauty. All the lighting is white, no decorative yellows or oranges. All the beauty comes from the natural rock formations.

The tour guide was very informative and made sure to let everyone know where to step, duck from low rocks and how some of the rock formations were made and their history.

The kids loved the tour, as did myself and my wife. Stop by their web site first and download a coupon for $1.00 off each ticket before you go.

3 Thank Jersian
Grahamsville, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“tagalong”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Very accomodating for my 2 disabled sons. Wonderful cave. Alot of stairs. Great gift shop.

1 Thank abvsunbird
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“A Must-See if you're in the area!”
Reviewed September 22, 2007

My sister and I took our niece (age 9) and my sister's goddaughter (age 8) to Indian Echo Caverns on August 16, 2007. We planned to go to Hersheypark on the same day but Indian Echo Caverns made a nice first stop since it was raining that morning. The Caverns also open an hour earlier than Hersheypark.

Yes, there are 71 grueling steps down to the entrance of the cave. They have handrails and a midway point where you can stop and catch your breath before climbing the rest of the way.

The tour was about 45 minutes and we just loved our tour guide. She told us some neat stories that seemed to be a hit for both young and old. I thought the prices were reasonable - $13 for adults and $7 for kids 3-11.

I would definitely recommend protective shoe-wear. There are some wet and muddy spots throughout the cave. Be sure to take a camera. You'll be surprised at how well some of the pictures turn out.

4 Thank luv2travel75
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
Reviewed June 17, 2005

I will admit I was skeptical about going to this cavern. We had not planned on going here. I knew nothing about this place other than what the brochure told me. So with a few hours to kill and a really cool brochure we decided why not and drove over to the Indian Echo Caverns. I was not disappointed.

After I paid $40 for myself, husband and 3 small children I was cursing to myself that this had better be good for that price. It was awesome!

We had a 10 minute wait from the time we paid until our tour departed. They have a playground for the kids to play on and a few benches for the adults to sit on. Then you get to drag yourself down 71 steps, which I thought was rough until we had to walk back UP them.

The caverns were very neat and the tour guide did a great job giving us a history lesson. Since our trip to the caverns was last minute I did not have anything warm for myself or the kids. It was a chilly 52*F in the caverns but it did not seem cold. The kids never once complained that they were cold on our 45 minute tour.

Definately a must see attraction if you are in the area!

21 Thank mindybmomto3