“Nice, clean hotel, eat breakfast elsewhere”

Residence Inn Philadelphia Willow Grove
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Horsham
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Nice, clean hotel, eat breakfast elsewhere”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

My wife and I got a bargain-basement rate on this Residence Inn for two nights while we attended a wedding and other festivities nearby. For the money we paid, it was a fantastic deal - but don't be fooled: other than the extra amenities that all the rooms provide, the decor and furnishings for this hotel are on par with your Comfort and Sleep Inns. This Residence Inn should not be confused with a luxury hotel.

That said, we weren't expecting a luxury hotel, and the extra room was great for us to have to spread out and hang out all weekend. Our room, the lobby, and the grounds for the most part, were exceptionally clean and pleasant. We only needed to talk to a couple hotel employees during our stay and both were very nice.

The bed was the softest bed I have ever slept in. To all of you with a bad back, heed this as a warning, because you might be accustomed to sleeping on a firmer mattress. It was probably one of those "Hey, we're a Marriott, and this is the best bed you'll ever sleep in" mattresses. All I know is that I woke up hurtin'!

Breakfast was not great. We did expect a better breakfast, because they advertise their hot breakfast all over the place. Even when we ate there at 7:30am (breakfast from 7-10am), the food was starting to get cold because the attendant didn't have the burners on under any of the food, and especially the eggs, which were undercooked. My wife had the french toast and said it was tasty. We skipped breakfast the second morning we were there. Also, the attendant, who was a nice lady, was very talkative and insisted in initiating conversation with the few of us who were eating breakfast there. For us, this was a nuisance, as we would have rather been left alone before having caffeine!

Those two complaints are minor, though - we did enjoy our stay in this hotel and will return if we're able to negotiate a similar rate in the future. (Hint: the hotel is fairly deserted on the weekend since it's geared towards business travelers, who might stay during the week.) This hotel is close to many major roads in the area, such as the PA Turnpike.

• Liked — Extra space in the rooms, clean property
  • Disliked — Terrible breakfast, soft beds
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pacmantech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I stayed here on a business trip. Hotel is arranged as a little village of housing units with parking around the perimeter. This means that the rooms are quite spacious, but you might need to walk 50-100 yds to your room, depending on where they put you and how full the parking lot is. Also, there are stairs to the 1st floor rooms, not elevators.

I would have given 4/5 had it not been for the following niggles that combined to make my stay less-than-perfect:

I was put in a ground floor room with a cluster of 4 AC compressors outside the window. All was well until the last night of my stay, when someone in one of the other rooms in my cluster left their AC set to the lowest temperature for the entire night, which resulted in the compressor that was about 3' from my bed running continuously. The vibration could be felt through my pillow. I got to sleep by moving to the couch on the opposite corner of the room and listening to music though noise-isolation headphones until I finally passed out.

The pool and Jacuzzi were closed and still full of leaves from the winter. It was the end of May, and about 90° outside. The fact that there was a pool was one of the main reasons I booked this hotel over others in the area.

The included breakfast was OK (cooked buffet in warming trays, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc.) but every day there was a huge bag of festering rubbish left outside the dining room door, which is the last thing you need after stuffing yourself with bacon and eggs.

Just bad luck I guess.

• Liked — Large room
  • Disliked — Several, minor things
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed May 14, 2007

The Marriott Residence Inn Willow Grove is typical of hotels under this brand, with a series of buildings clustered together. Rooms are average in size, with some having fireplaces. Many have handicapped bathrooms. There is an average amount of outdoor parking. We stayed in a room on the back side of the hotel opposite the lobby.

Our room was in average condition, with a usual kitchenette, couch/desk and bedroom in a studio arrangement. Our room did not have a divider/partition (parents of young children beware) separating these spaces. The hotel-provided crib was a clean pack-and-play type setup, rather than a conventional crib. There was, as promised, complimentary wired (ethernet) internet access which was slighly pokey but serviceable. The complimentary continental breakfast in the main building was acceptable. There is no hotel restaurant or room service. There is an outdoor pool (closed in mid may) and basketball/tennis court.

In terms of the mix of customers, there appear to be a large number of long-term residents in this property.

There were two main problems with this hotel. The first was that while the hotel room was clean, it smelled strongly of Indian food. Both my wife and I enjoy this cuisine, so I think it says something that we both found the scent to be unpleasantly strong and that it lingered over the three days we were there.

The second problem was that many of the other long-term customers who apparently weren't working on the weekend tended to just "hang around" in a manner that made us uncomfortable, particularly when some of them were calling our room and knocking on the door to ask our nanny if she "wanted to party". For this reason. I would not recommend this hotel for single travellers, particularly women, as this is obviously not a very comfortable environment.

• Stayed May 2007
1 Thank bartleby000
Pa.
Reviewed February 16, 2007

After a hard afternoon/evening drive during the recent snow/ice storm, a plesant surprise was waiting after checking in at the Residence Inn. It's actually a small apartment with a kitchen with rerig/ microwave, dishwasher, and some pots, pans, glassware. A small living room with a fireplace( be sure to purchase logs at gatehouse at checkin). The shower massage was welcome after that horrendus drive. Nice hot breakfast in the AM.

• Liked — Very good value and amenities.
  • Disliked — Distance to city of Philadelphia
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsham
Fairfield Inn & Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove
Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove
Days Inn Horsham Philadelphia
Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove

Been to Residence Inn Philadelphia Willow Grove? Share your experiences!