“My choice of lodging in the area”

TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Horsham
Reviewed November 19, 2013

My extended family and I have stayed here many times over the years. We grew up in the area, have friends and relatives remaining and try to stay here when we visit. Most recently, 6 if us stayed while attending a friend's 50th birthday. We had a 2 bedroom suite, pull out sofa in the living room. If you are looking for a fancy indoor pool, this is not the place. however, if you are looking for a clean spot and a friendly spot, this IS a good option. The staff has always been smiling and helpful. We do not use the kitchenette when visiting (except for the fridge for our travel beer!) but if you do need one, the kitchenettes at TownePlace are bigger, more modern and have more amenities (ie, dishwasher) than many a NYC kitchen. The breakfast is very bare bones but there IS a breakfast for free, which is nice. We usually stop at a diner for breakfast since it is another Philadelphia-area eating experience that we miss, now that we live 4 hours away. A few miles from the Willow Grove Turnpike exit, but worth the drive for price and value. All in all, a very good place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
horshamgm, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such nice things about our hotel. We are so glad you enjoy staying with us and that we have been able to accommodate all of your needs. We appreciate all of the great things you shared and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Second stay with this brand and my last. They are just not up to Marriott standards. Refrigerator stank upon opening. Bath room could have been cleaned better. Rest of room was OK and spacious. The worst part. The mattress was so old and we sank into it....again. Tte bed squeaked loudly with every move. And I woke in the middle of the night to the sound .of running water. Loud..... running water....with nothing running in the room. Turns out, its running somewhere in the walls I guess. Staff was very nice. Breakfast was lame. I cannot reccomend this hotel or even this brand .

• Stayed: October 2013
horshamgm, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest and it is disappointing when we fall short. I am sorry that breakfast was not what you had hoped. I am also very sorry about the mattress in your room. We are looking to correct all of the items you brought to our attention so they do not happen again. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you how much we value your business. Again, thank you for your time and honesty. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel while on a business trip and was very comfortable. I would highly recommend the Suites for family vacations or longer stays as it has a kitchen and many other necessities. Bonus points for the local gym which is a short 2min drive away and is free for guests of the hotel. Quiet area and many restaurants are within a short drive.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
horshamgm, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review about our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Horsham.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our first time at TownePlace Horsham and not the last.
We were there for our annual terrier show in Montgomery.
We booked a suite with 2 bedrooms at a very decent price.
Wall are sound proof, rooms are clean and beds so comfortable.
Central Air conditioning was efficient and quiet.
With 3 TV, 2 Queen size beds and one sofa beds, this room can handled 6 adults easily.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank S.Boutin
horshamgm, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you so much for the great things you had to say about our hotel. We love hearing when we are able to provide a great experience for our guests and I am so glad we were able to help you enjoy your trip for the dog show. I hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 4 nights. The rooms were clean and well equipped. We were able to make our own meals and the hotel provides a nice continental breakfast. We were able to bring our dogs and there were plenty if places to walk them.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am sorry there was an issue with the coffee maker in your room. I assure you we have addressed your concerns with housekeeping and we are working to ensure this never happens again. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review and allow us an opportunity to improve. I hope you will return again the next time you visit Horsham so we can show you how much we value your business and your comments.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Suggest not to drink any coffee in your room: moulded coffee pad was in the coffee machine. For 2 days it went unperceived. After I complained at the reception, it disappeared. I wonder if it was washed properly (with desinfectant or similar). Poor cleaning.
OK breakfast. Good beds.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
horshamgm, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Philadelphia Horsham, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you so much for writing a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We have addressed your concerns about housekeeping with the staff and the appropriate action has been taken. I hope that you will come back in the future and give us another opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Again, thank you for your time and honesty.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I see that hotel management likes to respond to these reviews, which is good as it shows they care, and I believe they really do. I will say that while I had numerous problems with this hotel, the management folks (particularly the front desk folks) were very nice and helpful. Most of my negativity came from things that are difficult for management to address. Also, this hotel isn't awful. It's not a dump. Overall it's fairly well maintained. It even looks respectable from the outside. But once inside, it was not a pleasant place to stay for an extended period (several weeks in my case--but most of my impressions were formed immediately, not over time, when any hotel can get old).

The good: As mentioned, the folks working there, specifically those manning the front desk, are nice and helpful. Also, the showers in the room, while they don't look like much, are excellent, with a strong flow and plenty of room to move. They provide you with two bar soaps, body wash, shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion, which is nice. The location of the hotel is good if you're taking care of business in the area. An outstanding feature is the access your room key gives you to the local, private athletic club, which is very nice. The hotel is quiet and it's reasonably close to the freeway, but I wouldn't stay here if you're doing business outside of Horsham or the towns immediately adjacent. The 611 road is very congested with lots of lights and there are hotels closer to the freeway, the city, other 'burbs, etc. The beds are reasonably comfortable (more on those below) and the room is a good size. They have kitchens that are tiny but serve their purpose. The TV and clock radio were pretty good, with satellite TV available when it wasn't pouring rain. I was in a regular room, so there may have been larger rooms with larger kitchens and different layouts, but I can't comment on those.

The bad: The very worst part of this hotel is the quality of construction. Yes, I know, many (most?) hotels have paper thin walls, floors, and ceilings (I once stayed in a New Orleans hotel where I could hear a couple having relations on another floor!), but this one was one of the worst I've ever experienced. It didn't help that I had bad neighbors (I made the proper complaints, to no avail), but c'mon. Next door I could hear everything, particularly the TV, which is always cranked up because the A/C units are so loud. Even worse was the floor above. I had a kid above (a little kid who didn't weigh much, as I later saw) who loved to run laps around the room for hours. It sounded like a herd of wildebeest had been let loose in a room filled with hungry lions. After that kid left, another person came in who I knew weighed 300+ pounds based on the crashing footfalls. Every time he walked around the room the light fixture above my desk would sway and the room would vibrate. No exaggeration. I later saw the person (keeping with the theme, I could hear the person exit their room, so I looked out the window as they exited the hotel to assess the enemy) and it was a smallish gentleman, 160 pounds max.

What else? Room service was poor. Not horrible as they made the bed every day, but the sheets became dusty (they were supposed to change them every six days, I believe, by policy, but I saw no evidence of that) and on several occasions later on I found a very tiny bug in the bed (bedbugs I presume). Very gross. This would've caused me to leave the hotel, but I was with a group and could not. I also found a couple other bugs in the room, but I was on the ground floor, so those things happen and I don't hold it against them. Management took care of the sheets issue later on, to their credit. Anyway, room service enjoyed providing me conditioner. I ended my stay with four bottles, none of them opened. Meanwhile I ran out of body wash after one bottle and it was never replaced (I of course could've again spoken to mgmt, but I made this into a little experiment since I didn't really need it--and it was never replaced). I'm not sure what the policy was on this, but my toilet was only cleaned periodically. Fortunately I'm a neat person, but still... And best of all, on my next to last day, I came back to my room to see that whoever was cleaning it must've left early and never returned. My towels weren't replaced, the sink had dried cleanser in it, and, most tellingly, some of the contents of my shopping bag--filled with chips, dried fruit, and gum--were removed and set on the counter. There could be several explanations for this, but the contents of my bag should have been left alone. Since they clearly left mid-cleaning and didn't return, I wondered if any of my other bags had been examined in the past before being replaced. I have no evidence they were, and I'm making no direct accusations, but that whole scene left a bad taste in my mouth.

More? My toilet seat was round. ROUND! Small and round. I'm an average sized guy and I had problems with posterior alignment, so I can only imagine what a larger person would be dealing with on that thing. And overall the room, while not bad by any means, just had a shabby appearance to it. The kitchen reflected this as well, as did the bathroom. Nothing bad, just shabby. The small, four-burner stove/oven was a convenient feature, but I didn't feel comfortable using it. The fridge was fine and they did give you all the kitchen necessities.

This is the part where, in other reviews I'll read on here, I'll see similar comments and think they're a little privileged, whiny even. If that what this sounds like, my apologies as it's unintended. While mgmt was responsive, upon check-in I was given a first floor room despite a request to be on an upper floor. As a short-time Marriott Gold member these requests are usually accommodated, but it's just a request and no big deal if they can't do it. Yes, in this case I should've later requested to change rooms due to the noise issue from above, but that's a major hassle to change rooms during a long stay with tons of luggage. Again, normally it's no big deal and I would never go around waving the gold card saying, "Do you know who I am?" But in this case several colleagues arrived after me and were given 3rd floor rooms. That makes no sense. That was a disappointment, but I'm not normally a "gold member" in any context so I'm used to it.

The breakfast is continental and fairly disappointing, at least if you're there for more than a few days. They continually ran out of 2% milk (if you're a big skim milk user, have I got a hotel for you!), then one day a couple weeks into my stay I tried it and it came out in clumps. No more milk for me. Bananas were a twice a week treat because they were that rare to see. For a short stay it really wasn't that bad, I guess, except for the spoiled milk, but if you get sick of bagels and cereal, there is a Wawa just down the street, which I hit pretty hard in the mornings.

There were other minor annoyances as well, but I've written far too much. In sum, I would only stay at this hotel if I got a HUGE bargain compared to the other nearby properties and I was only staying for two nights, max! And if so, definitely ask for an upper floor, end room that faces the outside of either building. Outside of that, I would stay elsewhere. Just my opinion.

Room Tip: Stay on an upper floor, end room, away from the parking lot!