“Last-Minute Stay in Campground”

Raccoon Creek State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Hookstown
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We made a last-minute decision on a Saturday morning to camp here on Saturday night. We arrived without a reservation but our preferred site was available when we arrived. The park staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Our site was wooded, and had a fair amount of isolation from neighboring sites. We did not have occasion to utilize the bathrooms or showers as we stayed in a trailer.

The beach was busy with temps in the upper eighties and high humidity, but we didn't have any problem finding space. The water temp refreshing, but not cold. The further out towards the far buoy line we swam, it was less crowded, but the bottom was mostly mud as opposed to sand.

This was our third time in as many summers staying here. We had previously noticed frequent air traffic but didn't view it as overly disruptive, and didn't prevent us from coming back. This time the traffic was very light.

We will go back here.

2  Thank DA_and_CA
There are newer reviews for Raccoon Creek State Park

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Called in advance to find out more about campsites - rustic and campground . Woman at park not so helpful. I had to pull info out of her. Looking for quiet site. She suggested C3 bc one side surrounded by woods. Nice site but adjacent to c2, lucky no one camped there bc so close. But could work for 2 families. C3 at bend, since camp busy - we had constant traffic by our site. At night, lots of headlights. Quiet time was supposed to be from 10 am to morning . Many loud radios and dogs barking. Pittsburgh international must have might flight pattern over park. Around 2 am i thought 747 was landing on out tent! Not so peaceful. Beach was extremely crowded. Positives: hike the short mineral springs loop. You will be rewarded w a lush grotto at the cool springs. Check out Larry's boat rentals. Kayaks. Hydrobikes. Electric motorboats. Prices reasonable. Larry is a character. He gave us some good warnings about keeping all food in car - windows up. Otherwise we would have woke up to raccoon bandits in car . Bought some firewood at Larry's . Would only go back to do backpack -in camping.

11  Thank islandjule
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I attempted to make a reservation last evening for a pet friendly site. Since we'll be camping with my 8 year old son, I figured that a site near a playground would be good, so that he can play, while mom and I relaxed at camp, keeping him in our sight. When I made the reservations, there were in excess of 40 sites available for the weekend and ammenities I chose. No electric/water, tent site, pets allowed. Today, however, I received a call from Raccoon stating that the site I chose was unavailable that weekend, and that I only have 2 options, one that is pretty far away from just about everything, and one that includes electric/water. I asked her if I could get the electric/water site for the same price as a site that doesn't include these perks. She said that she would let the owners know and have them call me tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, I pretended to make a reservation again, only to find that there are still 36 sites available for reservation that weekend with my choices. We'll see what they can do, but so far, I'm nothing but dissapointed in the reservation process. My confirmation DOES state that they have the right to change my reservation, but why does the website still have over 30 sites still available, when the lady told me that they only have 2...

9  Thank Todd E
Reviewed May 23, 2012

We camped here years ago and had a good time, but we enjoy just driving through from time to time.

1  Thank whisperingnook
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My hubby and I along with family members through out the weekend--Th-Sun--stayed in one of the cabins that are available for a fee. The grandchildren had such a good time. The flowers were out at the Wild Flower Reserve. They spoke with a park ranger about the bees that can be viewed there, also. Cooking hotdogs outside; making s'mores; staying up really late; playing board games and cards when it rained. It was wonderful.

3  Thank Sue N