Message from TripAdvisor:
As seen on NBC's The Office. Have fun reading these reviews - go on, add your own! Just don't try to book a visit here, because this fictional place doesn't really exist.

“Perfect experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Schrute Farms

and 1 more site!
Schrute Farms
Ourense, Spain
“Perfect experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Nice stay in the Schrute Farms, very confortable and rustic atmosphere. Mr. Dwight Schrute is awesome and very kind with my girlfriend and me. The only bad point is the outside toilet, when I went down, the mose guy was in!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

I wanted to do something different this year for my wedding anniversary, a coworker has family in Pa. who have been raving about this "Schrute Farms". According to their description, it was a quiet, quaint, relaxing place. Either my coworker secretly hates me, or her family has never stayed at Schrute Farms. I immediately checked Trip Advisor, as I always do when planning trips. It got pretty good reviews so I called up and booked the "Irrigation" room. My husband and I were really looking forward to a nice weekend away from the kids. After the 12 hour drive, we arrived at the Schrute Farms a little after 7pm. We attempted to check in, and was told no record of our reservation could be found. I was upset, but patient, as I knew this would probably be resolved with a few phone calls. Unfortunately, the farm was already full, including OUR " Irrigation Room". We were offered a stay in the barn for the same price, unless we needed to use their sleeping bags, and that would be an extra $20 per sleeping bag, $10 would be refunded on each one if they were turned in the same condition. The owner spoke to me in a very sharp tone. I did not appreciate this at all. I told my husband "Lets get out of here" and on the way out the door I yelled "I hate beets anyway..you should have a candy farm or something". We left and drove around town and all the hotels were booked. We ended up sleeping in the Chili's parking lot. The only positive thing about our weekend was that we stumbled on a charming little pizzaria called "Alfredo's". Or "Pizza By Alfredos". I don't remember the name exactly, but what are the odds of a town like Scranton having two different pizza places with "Alfredo's" in the name. This ain't like "Rays Pizza" in NYC. Stay away from Schrute Farms if you are ever in the Greater Scranton area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank r3hcook
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Let me start out by saying the grounds were beautiful.... acres and acres of beet. The continental breakfast was something new to me: Beet Muffins, Beet Pancakes and Beet syrup, to our surprise, we liked it!! The beds were single, we would have lived something alittle larger, but it was still nice. I gave only a "3" for value because I would have liked an INDOOR bathroom and not just an out house. Also, a fella named Mose was alittle creepy. Overall it was an enjoyable stay!

NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

The freshest salad in town. Will defintly go again. Also I want to plan my second wedding there, and maybe my third one too.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Buffalo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

At first, Schrute farms appears to be the perfect getaway for an agrotourist fanatic such as myself. The air is crisp with just a hint of manure, the fields and surrounding grounds are exquisite, and the rustic-esque architecture makes this beet B&B picture perfect. However, once you unpack your bags and begin to settle in to the evening's activities, Mr. Schrute's mania makes the trip almost unbearable. Dwight insisted on 'battling' my husband - a tae kwan doe instructor - the entire evening, and refused to take "NO!" for an answer. Finally, my husband gave in and he beat Mr. Schrute in less then a minute. The rest of the evening Dwight and his cousin Moes debated which type of bear was best, which at first I thought was some sort of inside joke. Then I realized they were being serious.... When my husband and I tried to escape the afternoon mulching session by insisting I had food poisoning, Dwight said he could examine my stool for any abnormalities if I wished so. We politely refused, and he then said to lock our doors because sometimes his cousin wanders at night.

These men should not be able to run a Bread and Breakfast. My review here barely covers how frightened my husband and I were for our well-being. There was another couple there at the time who agreed that Mr. Schrute's demeanor hinted at psychotic tendencies.

Also, the beets were terrible.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BellesBells
Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

After months of silence, I've now come to grips with what was one of the worst experiences of my life. Travelling with a client companion through rural Pennsylvania one evening, we noticed a charming rustic sign that read "World Famous Beet Farm 1 Mile" and below it, written in what could only be industrial marker "now taking reservations." Seeking a hotel to retire for the night, we thought this would make the perfect adventure.

Mesmerized and tired from travelling, we checked in.

The host, a middle-aged man named Dwight, was a charming albeit off individual who was very accommodating. His assistant Mose, an enthusiastic but quiet man who resembled a simpler time, and strong as an ox, helped us with our bags. He seemed concerned about leaving the tires on my vehicle for the night for fear of raccoon punctures, but we assured him it would be fine.

We settled in and were quite surprised at what the quaint farm house had to offer. However, just as we began to retire for the evening, a horrible local man pulled up in a mid 2000 model Chrysler convertible (possibly a PT Cruiser). The sound of Britney Spears' Circus blared through his speakers, and were projected by the hollow steel pipes in the otherwise calming irrigation room in which I stayed.

I crept downstairs to see what the commotion was and was greeted rudely by a man in his mid-40s with jet black hair who appeared to be wearing a female tailored suit. To the light but unconvincing protest of the host, the man insisted on hooking up Guitar Hero to the main Television. Promising they'd be quiet, and reassured by the calm demeanor of our host Dwight, I took back upstairs for much-needed slumber.

Not 30 minutes later I was awoken by the sounds of 80s hair metal and a horribly out of tune, yet strangely fitting falsetto by the rude visitor. When I descended downstairs and asked him to stop, I was promptly "mooned" and given a series of "that's what she said" jokes that in no way fit the dialogue of my exhausting pleas. Threatening to leave the farm, the host finally sent the man on his way.

Although flustered, I resumed my sleep. 2 hours later, the horrible man had returned, this time making "donuts" with his car through the parking area, kicking up much dust, and again blaring music from his speakers, this time I believe it to be Cher. My allergies began to kick in and I began to find it difficult to breath. Angered, I woke my guest, packed my things and hollered at the host through his bedroom door that we were leaving and demanded a full refund. Dwight convinced the horrible man to stop and go home, and they proceeded to get into a 45 minute argument. Just as they appeared ready to come to blows, all we could do is stand in disbelief as Mose came from behind the barn and began throwing manure at both of the men who ran for cover.

As we went to leave, we noticed 3 of our tires were flat; actually, the more accurate term would be slashed. These appeared to be man-made punctures, and not from the raccoon that we'd been warned about previously. Horrified that we would be the victims of a thriller-esque murder, we got in the car anyway and sped away on the mere rims of the vehicle. When we got to the nearest highway, we called for a tow truck and our night concluded in the waiting room of an all night mechanical shop.

I would not recommend Schrute Farms to anyone. Although the meat sandwich, beet juice, and side of bacon for dinner was strangely one of the most rewarding meals I've ever experienced.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank killam_all
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2010

Be aware that the NY Times is plotting against Schrute Farms. An article on Page D-4 of its March 29, 2010 edition suggests that Schrute Farms does not exist. Absolutely not true. My wife and I were at the farm last weekend to celebrate her birthday, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Outstanding service and ambiance. Dwight and Mose actually let us help sort beet seedlings for spring planting; what immense fun!! David Kirby, New Canaan, Connecticut

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Honesdale
The Carbondale Grand Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,526 reviews
Lake Wanoka Resort
Lake Wanoka Resort
#1 of 4 in Honesdale

Been to Schrute Farms? Share your experiences!