“Not the Best”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Homestead
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia, United States
“Not the Best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We checked in around 5pm on 7/13/13. The lobby was great and the guy at the front desk was very well mannered and professional. We went to our room and were very pleased witht he size and space. We did not like the fact that there was blood on the bed and it seemed as though someone tried to scrub it out with water. Didn't work. Called front desk and ask for another comforter. That was around 5:15pm. We never got it. No biggy we just trough it on the floor. Why? Because we couldn't get the room below 78 degrees all night. Kids were sleeping so we didn't bother calling. Now lets keep in mind that we paid $200.00 for this one night stay. Then its breakfast time. We sat down and the waitress came over and took our drink orders. Half way through our meal she came over and ask us if our meal was "Comped". We said we didn't know. She came back over and made a huge scene about how our meals were not comped and we would have to pay for them. So this breakfast that isn't even "free breakfast quality" was being charged to us for $50.00. I cant believe you can charge people $250.00 for nothing. I warn everyone DONT STAY HERE, THERE ARE BETTER HOTELS OUT THERE THAT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND YOUR NEEDS. I feel like a fool for staying here. Waste of time and money

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Craig F
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Craig F,
Thank you for your review. We are very sorry for the experience you had while staying with us and your unhappiness with the way it was handled. I can assure you that these items are being addressed. Your feedback is so important to us and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We hope you will consider staying with us again to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Beth Neuschwander, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We chose to stay at this hotel as we drove through Pittsburgh. Not being familiar with the city this seemed to be a safe area and it was. While there, we did not have any trouble. My trouble began when I realized I had forgotten my blazer in the room. I called the hotel and a woman by the name of Ally said that they had found my blazer, I told her I would be picking it up the following Saturday when I return to the area. Fast forward to the following Saturday, I called the hotel to let them know that I was stopping by to pick up my black blazer. The woman at the hotel; not the original Ally but Amy now, said she could not find it, but that she would look for it and call me back. She did not call me back! Imagine that! I decided to stop by the hotel anyway, even though it was one hour out of my way from my original route. Once at the hotel the woman there said, "oh, let me look in the back" really? I called you one hour ago and you did not call me back and you have not even looked for the blazer? bad service! To clarify, I fully realize it was my fault for having left my blazer there. The problem I have with this hotel is that whatever system/protocol they have with lost and found was not followed by anyone there! This woman (Amy) even said she saw my blazer at the front desk with a note that said I would be picking it up on Saturday! Wow! and no one thought of taking it to lost and found???? She also said that managers lock up things and that since it was the weekend there were no managers to unlock whatever the heck she was referring to. I was confused about that, more like thinking this was a [--] story she was giving me. The following Tuesday I called and was referred to the Housekeeping Manager who said she was in charge of lost and found. She looked into the matter, she could not find the blazer and said that no one turned in the blazer to her. Although disappointed that she could not help me, I can say that this employee was very professional. Bottom line I expected better from Marriott, at least that they follow a lost and found protocol. It was obvious to me that some employees at this Marriott need training on what to do with Lost & Found articles. The price point of this room did not match the service in this instance!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ViajeraAz
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
ArizonaViajera,
Thank you for writing. I sincerely apologize for the frustrations and inconveniences you experienced with retrieving your blazer. Please know that I have contacted the dry cleaning company that we utilize to see if the blazer may have possibly been mistakenly picked up by them. I am awaiting a response and hope to hear from them soon. In the meantime, I am also addressing this and all questions with any associates involved in the situation. I am again very sorry for the difficulties you’ve encountered with retrieving your blazer. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Beth Neuschwander
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stopped off in Pittsburgh on the way to Niagara Falls and chose the Waterfront area to stay the first night. Rooms here were nice and clean with a great view of the river from the window. Got to show the kids a barge moving coal. We went to the nearby Dave and Busters for my son's birthday and had planned to take in a movie too, both locations within walking distance. The only negative I had was breakfast, which looked to be fairly standard aside from an actual server and an egg/waffle chef, ran $10.99 a head which seemed a bit steep.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike L
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Mike L,
Thank you for your review and kind comments about our clean accommodations and great location. We hope your son had a very happy birthday, and we’re glad our location offered many dining and entertainment options for celebrating. We appreciate your feedback and we hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Toledo, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Nice size room. The bed was firm as in most hotels. Most importantly it was clean. The pool was on the cool side but not horribly so. The spa on the other hand was very warm. 103-104 would be my guess. The staff was friendly for our stay.
The only negative I saw was the breakfast buffet was a bit pricey. ($10.95 per person)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank John H
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
John H,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Waterfront. I’m glad you enjoyed our spacious rooms, friendly staff and clean hotel during your visit. We always appreciate hearing from our guests with both positive feedback and opportunities for improving our guest experience. We hope you’ll visit us again the next time you travel to West Homestead. Thank you again for writing.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I usually don't write reviews but feel I must on this particular stay. The things I enjoyed was the lady who checked me in was fabulous (heather). The view and location were more than I expected. I also enjoyed the bartender who worked the night of my stay Kimmy I believe was her name. Now to the downfall of the hotel, room could of been cleaner. I was also disappointed to find out that when I wanted to thank heather for a quick and pleasant check in that she had been dismissed by management. It makes me wonder if that's how management treats what I consider a wonderful front desk face how do they feel about their guest. In closing I will find another hotel to stay at my next visit to pittsburgh .

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank unhappy790
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
unhappy790,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Waterfront. I’m happy to hear you felt well taken care of by our stay and enjoyed the beautiful views that our location has to offer. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service. I have addressed this issue with our housekeeping staff so we can improve our guest experience. I want to assure you that we sincerely value you as our guest and we hope you’ll visit us the next time you travel to Pittsburgh. Thank you again for writing.

South Lyon, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

While this motel has an awesome view of the river and a very nice fire pit and sitting area outside there is no snack bar, restaurant (they do serve a breakfast buffet for 10.95 per person) or bar. It would be perfect to sit outside and have a glass of wine or make s'mores. While there are a variety of restaurants down the road, after traveling all day it just isn't always what you want to do. Also, while they have a nice pool, that the kids were really enjoying, the kids go from the pool to the elevator and the floor was slick, didn't catch that fact when I got off the elevator and almost slipped and fell, the second time they had put a wet floor sign up. Maybe they should consider a no skid carpet or something - this is an accident waiting to happen. We stay in a variety of motels and the trend is to have a couple of bottles of water sitting on the table in the room. This is a nice touch, but only a nice touch if it is complimentary, otherwise skip it. Lastly, I drink tea, please throw in a couple of tea bags in the coffee pot area for us tea drinkers, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank morgainegeiser
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
morgainegeiser,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Waterfront. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can improve our guest experience. We value your feedback and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Brockway, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My children and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend get-a-away. I have to say we were amazingly shocked and impressed with the overall experience at this hotel. Not only did we have a great view of the river from our window but the room itself was very spacious and welcoming. I can say that I slept like a baby waking up with no aches or pains from their comfy beds. My children enjoyed the pool and got a real kick out of the waterfall feature. The front desk staff (Amy and James) we had contact with were very helpful and hospitable. Even the gentleman who brought extra towels that evening to our room was super friendly and just all around enjoyable. I have to say for a traveling single mother or two young children this hotel was one we will be returning too. The staff, the location, the room, the overall experience was one that we will cherish. We definately would recommend this Courtyard to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view. It was great to wake up to see the water and all the green trees.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MaSnBR1
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
MaSnBR1,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Waterfront. We appreciate you choosing our hotel for a family weekend getaway. I’m pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations with your river view room, comfortable accommodations and hospitable staff. We have a great team here that is dedicated to providing each guest with a memorable experience. I’ll be sure to recognize Amy and James for their excellence in service. We sincerely appreciate your high recommendations of our great hotel and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Beth Neuschwander, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homestead
Omni William Penn Hotel
#5 of 68 in Pittsburgh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,777 reviews
Southside Flats
HYATT house Pittsburgh-South Side

Been to Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront? Share your experiences!