“Poor management decision”

Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Homestead
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I usually don't write reviews but feel I must on this particular stay. The things I enjoyed was the lady who checked me in was fabulous (heather). The view and location were more than I expected. I also enjoyed the bartender who worked the night of my stay Kimmy I believe was her name. Now to the downfall of the hotel, room could of been cleaner. I was also disappointed to find out that when I wanted to thank heather for a quick and pleasant check in that she had been dismissed by management. It makes me wonder if that's how management treats what I consider a wonderful front desk face how do they feel about their guest. In closing I will find another hotel to stay at my next visit to pittsburgh .

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank unhappy790
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

unhappy790,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Waterfront. I’m happy to hear you felt well taken care of by our stay and enjoyed the beautiful views that our location has to offer. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not met with our excellence in service. I have addressed this issue with our housekeeping staff so we can improve our guest experience. I want to assure you that we sincerely value you as our guest and we hope you’ll visit us the next time you travel to Pittsburgh. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

While this motel has an awesome view of the river and a very nice fire pit and sitting area outside there is no snack bar, restaurant (they do serve a breakfast buffet for 10.95 per person) or bar. It would be perfect to sit outside and have a glass of wine or make s'mores. While there are a variety of restaurants down the road, after traveling all day it just isn't always what you want to do. Also, while they have a nice pool, that the kids were really enjoying, the kids go from the pool to the elevator and the floor was slick, didn't catch that fact when I got off the elevator and almost slipped and fell, the second time they had put a wet floor sign up. Maybe they should consider a no skid carpet or something - this is an accident waiting to happen. We stay in a variety of motels and the trend is to have a couple of bottles of water sitting on the table in the room. This is a nice touch, but only a nice touch if it is complimentary, otherwise skip it. Lastly, I drink tea, please throw in a couple of tea bags in the coffee pot area for us tea drinkers, it would be greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank morgainegeiser
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

morgainegeiser,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard Waterfront. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, especially about areas where we can improve our guest experience. We value your feedback and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My children and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend get-a-away. I have to say we were amazingly shocked and impressed with the overall experience at this hotel. Not only did we have a great view of the river from our window but the room itself was very spacious and welcoming. I can say that I slept like a baby waking up with no aches or pains from their comfy beds. My children enjoyed the pool and got a real kick out of the waterfall feature. The front desk staff (Amy and James) we had contact with were very helpful and hospitable. Even the gentleman who brought extra towels that evening to our room was super friendly and just all around enjoyable. I have to say for a traveling single mother or two young children this hotel was one we will be returning too. The staff, the location, the room, the overall experience was one that we will cherish. We definately would recommend this Courtyard to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view. It was great to wake up to see the water and all the green trees.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MaSnBR1
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

MaSnBR1,
Thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Waterfront. We appreciate you choosing our hotel for a family weekend getaway. I’m pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations with your river view room, comfortable accommodations and hospitable staff. We have a great team here that is dedicated to providing each guest with a memorable experience. I’ll be sure to recognize Amy and James for their excellence in service. We sincerely appreciate your high recommendations of our great hotel and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This Courtyard is part of the Waterfront development, a combination of outdoor shops and restaurants located right on the Monongahela River in West Homestead. The other attractions nearby are Kennywood, an amusement park and a water park. I enjoyed my stay here as it was very close to one of my largest accounts in West Mifflin. I also appreciated the fact that I could walk across the street and go to any number of restaurants in the outdoor mall, including Longhorns, P.F. Chang's, and a number of local bars/bistros. There is also a Barnes & Noble and a Loews Cinema. One of the neatest things about this Waterfront development is that it sits on the site of the former Homestead Steel Works, one of Andrew Carnegie's largest steel mills and the site of the infamous Homestead Strike where a number of striking workers were killed by Pinkerton Guards. If you watched the History Channels "Men Who Built America", you are familiar with this episode in American history. There are still a few vestiges left from the plant such as a large crane and old smokestacks. Very cool.

The hotel itself is very nice, as most Courtyards are. The only minor drawback is that it does not yet have the Bistro concept installed in the lobby, although the manager told me that it is scheduled to happen later this year. The fact that there are plenty of places to eat and drink within a couple minutes walk however really negates the need for any kind of dinner daypart at the hotel. However it will be a nice convenience for late arrivals who just want a drink and a snack before heading to bed. Rooms are very nice and clean.

One word of advice--their rates go way up after Memorial Day as lots of their business depends on Kennywood which is open during the summer. Off season is reasonable, I was able to get a GREAT deal on one of the internet hotel sites--about $100 off the in season rate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rick W
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Rick W,
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience with us at Courtyard Waterfront. It’s wonderful to receive your kind comments about our clean hotel and comfortable accommodations, as well as our convenient location to many restaurants and area attractions. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again soon and try the new Bistro once it’s complete. Thank you again for writing.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

This was the 2nd time my wife and I stayed here and were here for 2 nights in early May to ride a few legs of the GAP Trail. Everything was perfect. Check-In was quick and pleasant and the room was clean, quiet and nicely furnished. The person at Check-In said they had several options for storing our bikes over night but we chose to keep them in our room. The area is next to the Water Front with several restaurants and is convenient to the South side Flats

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank justme1980
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

justme1980,
Thank you for your review and return visit to Courtyard Waterfront. I’m pleased to hear you found our waterfront location, clean accommodations and pleasant staff perfectly suited for your travels. We enjoyed having you and your wife as our guests, and we hope you’ll return for another visit again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have stayed here at least 4 times since they opened, and we just had a weekend stay here when we had to return on short notice for the weekend due to a family emergency. They are always nice, and this hotel is usually full. Breakfast is good but watch for grumpy older ladies who don't like it when big crowds throw off their day. Most of the staff is fantastic, but we ran into one person who was terribly unhappy and it was miserable dealing with her at breakfast. We had unfortunately arrived for breakfast after a busload of tour people, so I think she was just done. Understandable, but we had nothing to do with it, so as a family dealing with an emergency, it kinda didn't seem fair to have to put up with her issues. Just a suggestion, perhaps you can put large tour groups elsewhere and serve them? Many of us were left with little food and a really grumpy lady. Overall, the pool was nice, my son enjoys swimming and relaxing there. The fire pit in the back outside is lovely at night when the weather is good, we loved that. You will no doubt meet friendly travelers who are fun to spend time with. Overall, a good stay, we had a nice room with a king bed and sofa sleeper for our son. Ask for a high floor, it can get noisy at night. Lots to do in the area, very convenient to many things in Pittsburgh.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor. If you can get a room facing the river on the back side with a balcony, that i...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

M3Mechanicsburg,
We appreciate you taking a moment to share your experience. I’m happy to hear your family relaxed by the fire pit, and your son enjoyed swimming in the pool. I sincerely apologize that your service at breakfast was not met with our standards of excellence. . We appreciate our guests taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback both positive and opportunities for improvement. We hope you will return to see our improvements. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location for walking along the river area. On a nice day it is a beautiful place to just relax. Many good to excellent restaurants, very good shopping area, major chain stores, drug store chains, plus there is a Costco that is not overly crowded. The hotel staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bille3
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Bille3,
It’s great to hear from you! We’re glad you enjoyed your stay, our helpful stay and the hotel’s beautiful location. We enjoyed having you as our guest and hope you’ll be back soon for another visit. Thank you for writing.

Beth Neuschwander, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Homestead
Hampton Inn & Suites Pittsburgh/Waterfront-West Homestead
#60 of 74 in Pittsburgh
SpringHill Suites West Mifflin
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh/West Mifflin
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites West Mifflin

Been to Courtyard Pittsburgh West Homestead/Waterfront? Share your experiences!