“Excellent Food”
Review of US Hotel Tavern

US Hotel Tavern
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Conveniently located in historical Hollidaysburg, the US Hotel Tavern provides an experience like no other. Come on in and experience the 19th century charm of this landmark while enjoying our updated dinner and tavern menu. We offer a rotating selection of local craft brews and an extensive wine list to accompany the differing menu options. We also offer a unique banquet facility like nothing else in the area. With options for weddings, showers, banquets, and events from 20 to over 200 people, Liberty Hall at the US Hotel Tavern provides the same historic charm of the original building with all the amenities of a modern facility.
Theodore, Alabama
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Attended a banquet here, and was impressed with the food, as well as the service. Would definitely recommend for the ambiance and decor, as well!!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dustye A

Parts Unknown
“Good food.”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The U.S. Hotel Restaurant & Tavern is a bit pricey but we have always gotten a good meal there and the historic atmosphere is very appealing. Definately worth a visit.

• Visited August 2012
Indiana, Pennsylvania
“A class place with history”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

History with great food. The prime rib I had ranked up there with the best I have had. Crab corn chowder was first rate. Great place to eat!

Visited November 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
“Things have gone downhill since last year”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Not so good as last time. I wrote a supportive review of this location in May 2011, and being in Hollisdaysburg overnight again, we decided to return to affirm our good earlier experience, As another reviewer noted of this eatery recently, it’s a combination of good and bad. We three arrived at 6:20 for a 6:30 seating on a weed day night. After standing at the dining room entrance for a couple minutes and trying to make a enough noise to be noticed, the waitress came and with some fluster, seated us. The place was deathly quiet with no-one present! Ahh, I say no-one I mean no other person present. Moments after we sat down a large blue tail fly appeared at the table and buzzed us again throughout the meal. I note that this fly or his/her distant ancestor had like visited us throughout our meal a year ago. We ordered drinks (2 chardonnays and a gin on the rocks) with two starters (the drunken mushrooms and a bowl of mussels). The drinks were good (although my wife, who knows her chardonnays, was unimpressed with her glass). My wife ordered another bowl of mussels for her main course with an accompanying beet salad. Our companion had grilled monkfish special with rice and I asked for the flat iron steak also with rice versus the scheduled steak fries. Here’s where the good and bad appeared. First, my steak was a fine adequate (not generous) slice of beef and was cooked to perfection (I’m picky having ordered it very rare). Our companion’s monkfish was eye-appealing and quite tasty too. My wife’s beet salad was good with the beets cut and cooked on site vice the canned variety so often used elsewhere, but the walnuts in the greens mix came almost hidden in a glop of goo in some misguided attempt to create candied walnuts. She simply picked these sugar gloped nuts out and sent them aside which, at the end, resorted in quite a pile. Further our companion’s and my rice were largely inedible being grossly over salted. And the second bowl of mussel (my wife’s meal vice the starter), although the same in appearance and having come out to us thru the same door leading into the kitchen were remarkably different than the first bowl. This later offering were insanely over-salted. These issues were offered to the attentive waitress in one of her many stop bys to see how we were doing. All she could do is apologize (she didn’t cook these offenders) and report that there had been other complaints yesterday. So were these bad dishes from yesterday? Finally we ordered a crème brulee. To cut this review short, let’s just say it was different and hardly memorable. UGH! I do note that the young lady waiting us was attentive, very helpful and did a fine job. We tipped her well but all agreed this was a last trip to this landmark. Sad, because the setting lends itself to a successful venture but the mecurial nature of the cusinine was oft-putting.

• Visited May 2012
Philadelphia, PA
“Combination of good and not so good!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our thoughts on Easter brunch:

Good:
- Very charming atmosphere.
- Hostess and servers were very, very nice and super efficient serving drinks and clearing plates.
- Fresh salad and fruit trays.
- Good peanut butter bars (one of just 3 desserts).
- Sushi for Easter brunch. Never saw that before--live and learn!
- A shrimp/succotash dish that my husband said was very good.
- Good bruschetta.

Not so good:
- Cold ham. Thought it was just to make sandwiches. I would have preferred hot ham.
- Fatty beef.
- Way, WAY overdone vegetables.
- Other than peanut butter bars, peach puff pastry (one bit of peach in each), and pound cakes that looked like cupcakes (which is fine) but they were HARD.
- Soups. Not horrible, not fantastic.
- Ravioli stuffed with what I believe was eggplant? Stuffing was good, ravioli was pretty chewy.

Neither here nor there: Happy to see pesto on the buffet. It had a mint taste to it. Is that the pesto trend these days? I'm not worldly so I have no idea.

Total for 6 adults: $171.00. We all thought it was overpriced for the quality. Think we'll try another place next time.

• Visited April 2012