“Tough to give a star rating”

Hidden Valley Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Hidden Valley Resort, located in Hidden Valley, Pa., Provides a beautiful getaway any time of year! The Hidden Valley Golf Club presents a spectacular 18-hole championship course with tree-lined fairways nestled among native Mountain Laurel. Built along the natural fall lines of its mountaintop home, 30 miles of vistas capture the dramatic landscape of the surrounding countryside. The Trillium Spa at Hidden Valley offers an escape from the stress of everyday life with a relaxing spa menu featuring manicures, pedicures, massages and more. As a winter destination, Hidden Valley is the ideal winter destination for families. With 31 slopes and trails and two terrain parks on 110 skiable acres and a first-class snowsports school, Hidden Valley offers a comfortable environment to learn to ski or snowboard. Hidden Valley is conveniently located just off the Pennsylvania Turnpike, located within 200 miles of Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Cleveland and Columbus.
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Yes, the rooms almost doubled in price, but where can you go for a patio king suite at a ski resort for $185 (plus tax) a night? We had a wonderful fireplace, decent sized living room, dining table for 2, small kitchen (small refrigerator, microwave, kuerig coffee maker, sink). You can park right at your door--no going through lobbies, take elevators and walk down long hallways to lug your stuff.

Were there some problems? Sure. The tub didn't really drain, the bathroom overall was tired, but the water was hot. The unit was warm and toasty. The king bed was very comfortable! The sofa and love seat were very comfortable to sit on as well. I think they are new this year. We didn't use the pool or the continental breakfast. The breakfast was easier to do in the suite.

Now to the skiing...we ski there because we are seniors who don't want the crowds of SS. We used to ski exclusively at SS when we were younger, but now ski exclusively at Hidden Valley. Try getting a room at SS for the price of a suite at HIdden Valley and they are only about 15 minutes away.

The slopes were well groomed and there are no lift lines (we go during the week). Could the lifts go faster? Yes, but isn't that the case for all ski resorts? We're going back next week. Can't beat the value of this resort.

3  Thank CPAreviewlady

Reviewed February 14, 2014

There has been no money spent in maintenance and upgrades at this resort in many years and it shows. The rooms are awful. The indoor swimming pool is not good. As someone else wrote, you would be better off to rent a privately owned condo.

Something I noticed about the privately owned condos is that many, many of them are for sale. In all the years I have been coming here I have never seen this many units for sale! I can only guess that owners want to avoid the coming increased prices in Homeowners fees?

Yes, it is going to take a ton of money to fix this resort. And years of time.

I've been visiting Hidden Valley Resort for over 45 years. It has been sad to watch it go downhill. Will be nice to see it brought back from the almost dead.

5  Thank BellaPittsburgh94
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I'm tired of listening to the whiners about price increases and then turning around and saying that their room was disgusting. Family-friendly does not = cheap. cheap = run down, and that has what happened to this resort. I for one am happy to see a rise in prices. The amount of money that it is going to take to fix all of the issues with this resort, including the water supply, isn't going to be cheap. Everyone wants something for nothing. I have seen with the price increases, many changes happening. The purchase was finalized in October and mother nature started ski season one month later this year. That's not a lot of time to get much accomplished. And so far, I see the resort slowly making progress. Is it five star? Um no, but it's getting cleaner by the hours. Just take a walk over to the trillium spa. I'm told the improvements there are temporary, (for a few years), that being said, it was a great improvement being a "for now" change. And to be honest, it's actually spa like now vs. dingy rooms with bacteria laden oversized Jacuzzis. Is it the luxury of a resort like Nemacolin? Um no again. But I would actually be able to relax in that newly gutted and remodeled spa area. The new layout is more private and the rooms are clean and aesthetically pleasing. I plan on making an appointment for my next sojourn. The clock tower restaurant has gotten a facelift, new carpeting, and a new menu. They just announced that all new bedding in the hotel have been installed, and the carpets are slated for next. And this next one is ski patrol rumor, but worth mentioning... They are taking out/relocating the snow tubing park,cutting in more slopes on the north face and building a nicer slopeside lodge over where the tubing park is. That's going to take a lot of $5 slices of pizza. And with another lodge to service you, will be a lot more family friendly. Patience people, this lump of coal is about to sparkle.

5  Thank artistinsuburbia
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Well first of all, the price more than doubled from last year so my expectations were up that this resort would have some improvements since Seven Springs purchased it. Unfortunately, these were not found on our trip. The lodge rooms were dirty, my tub was clogged, the toilet wobbled, the customer service was nonexistent, and the continental breakfast was donuts and bagels. My friends were staying at the Holiday Inn Express 10 minutes away. I met them in the morning for winery touring and their place was UNBELIEVEABLE. Cleeaannn! Gorgeous atmosphere. Great amenities. Excellent customer service. Needless to say, we checked out at hidden valley a day early and moved to Holiday Inn (who would have known that would happen!)

6  Thank dixie f
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hidden Valley has always been the "family friendly" alternative to its neighbor, Seven Springs. While the mountain isn't as big as SS, the experience has always been pretty good, due to good snowmaking, attentive staff and significantly lower costs. For a family with several kids, HV had always been the place to go - as prices were very reasonable.

But I stress the word "had" in my first paragraph. HV is now owned by the owners of Seven Springs (the Nuttings - who also own the Pittsburgh Pirates), and prices have immediately increased significantly. The biggest non-family-friendly change came in the way that juniors are defined and priced... At HV, juniors were always defined as those ages 17 and below. This year, juniors are only those ages 12 and below. For families with kids in their teens, this is a huge blow. I expect prices to increase slightly from year to year, but my total bill for a day of skiing for my family of 5 has increased roughly 30% over last year. Suddenly, two of my kids are now "adults", although they're only 13 and 15. Meals in the lodge (the Filling Station) now border on ridiculous - a cup of macaroni and cheese is $8.95 and a slice of pizza is $5.95. I'm not wealthy, but HV had always been reasonably enough priced that I could get my family out a few times a year. Looks like we'll either need to do less trips here, or try to find an alternative.

I just don't see the value in coming here anymore.

8  Thank GetsAround10