“Disappointed”

Hidden Valley Resort
More attraction details
Owner description: Hidden Valley Resort, located in Hidden Valley, Pa., Provides a beautiful getaway any time of year! The Hidden Valley Golf Club presents a spectacular 18-hole championship course with tree-lined fairways nestled among native Mountain Laurel. Built along the natural fall lines of its mountaintop home, 30 miles of vistas capture the dramatic landscape of the surrounding countryside. The Trillium Spa at Hidden Valley offers an escape from the stress of everyday life with a relaxing spa menu featuring manicures, pedicures, massages and more. As a winter destination, Hidden Valley is the ideal winter destination for families. With 31 slopes and trails and two terrain parks on 110 skiable acres and a first-class snowsports school, Hidden Valley offers a comfortable environment to learn to ski or snowboard. Hidden Valley is conveniently located just off the Pennsylvania Turnpike, located within 200 miles of Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Cleveland and Columbus.
Toronto, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Well first of all, the price more than doubled from last year so my expectations were up that this resort would have some improvements since Seven Springs purchased it. Unfortunately, these were not found on our trip. The lodge rooms were dirty, my tub was clogged, the toilet wobbled, the customer service was nonexistent, and the continental breakfast was donuts and bagels. My friends were staying at the Holiday Inn Express 10 minutes away. I met them in the morning for winery touring and their place was UNBELIEVEABLE. Cleeaannn! Gorgeous atmosphere. Great amenities. Excellent customer service. Needless to say, we checked out at hidden valley a day early and moved to Holiday Inn (who would have known that would happen!)

Visited January 2014
6 Thank dixie f

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Family friendly ?”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hidden Valley has always been the "family friendly" alternative to its neighbor, Seven Springs. While the mountain isn't as big as SS, the experience has always been pretty good, due to good snowmaking, attentive staff and significantly lower costs. For a family with several kids, HV had always been the place to go - as prices were very reasonable.

But I stress the word "had" in my first paragraph. HV is now owned by the owners of Seven Springs (the Nuttings - who also own the Pittsburgh Pirates), and prices have immediately increased significantly. The biggest non-family-friendly change came in the way that juniors are defined and priced... At HV, juniors were always defined as those ages 17 and below. This year, juniors are only those ages 12 and below. For families with kids in their teens, this is a huge blow. I expect prices to increase slightly from year to year, but my total bill for a day of skiing for my family of 5 has increased roughly 30% over last year. Suddenly, two of my kids are now "adults", although they're only 13 and 15. Meals in the lodge (the Filling Station) now border on ridiculous - a cup of macaroni and cheese is $8.95 and a slice of pizza is $5.95. I'm not wealthy, but HV had always been reasonably enough priced that I could get my family out a few times a year. Looks like we'll either need to do less trips here, or try to find an alternative.

I just don't see the value in coming here anymore.

Visited December 2013
8 Thank GetsAround10
Stafford, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Good value for money”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Very welcoming staff and friendly location. Rooms could do with a bit of updating, but this is reflected in the price which is great value. The indoor swimming pool area is the most in need of tlc. If you eat at the bar at the bottom of the road, share ... The portions are huge and tasty.

Visited September 2013
Williamsburg, VA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Could Be Very Nice, Needs Work”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Hidden Valley has lots going for it. Twenty five years ago, it was a spectacular family-friendly place to ski, golf, and enjoy the mountains and lakes. But the years have not been kind to Hidden Valley. The physical setting is still lovely, and the architecture is still quite attractive, but as a resort, it has declined. We stayed there in Summer, and we know that Summer is not the main season, ski season is. Also, the days we were there fairly rainy. But even counting those factors, it is easy to see that Hidden Valley has serious issues. First, there were very few people staying in the rooms. Since reservations are made in advance, that is not just because of the weather. More telling, the restaurant has closed, and while a modest continental breakfast was provided, for all other meals you need to leave the resort. There are not a lot of choices, much less good ones. I don't know what a family would do if they were there and a fairly big storm hit. Driving for several miles on winding mountain roads would not be comfortable, and there is no place in the resort to eat in the evenings if you have a regular room. There are rental condos and town houses available, but when we called,we were not given those as options, and you would have to have stocked the kitchen to eat in on a given night.

While the facilities are still attractive, they are aging. The room we had was a fairly large suite, but it was tired. The bathroom needed grout, and the fixtures were not pretty. The sink was cracked. The shower was quite good, despite the discoloration of the metal. The unit was also very damp from all the rain, and there were water stains on the wood covering the wall near the fireplace. The rug felt damp on our feet.

We played golf, and the course is still a very fine mountain course. The day we played it, it was very wet and soggy, but that is not their fault. The golf cart, however,was the worst one we have had. It was a gas cart, which is generally OK, but this one would start up so unpredictably and so abruptly, that both of us had sore backs and necks from being thrown about. It also backfired very loudly and violently three times over our round. That was startling, to say the least. My wife thought it was gunfire the first time it happened.

This is such a shame. We always liked this resort, and even had a condo here for many years up to the mid 90's. While they seem to be working on it, there is a long way to go to get it back to the shape it had been in. We were told they are working to make improvements, and we certainly hope they succeed.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank EdinVA09
Chicago, Illinois
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Outdated rooms but friendly/helpful staff.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding, which the grounds were beautiful for an outdoor wedding. The rooms were clean but oudated. The staff was helpful in suggesting things to do around the area and breakfast was sufficient to get the day started. If I was back in this area again I might look into renting one of the condo's that are on the grounds instead of staying at the hotel. I had the opportunity to see one of them during my stay and it was quite nice, not sure how they are priced though.

Visited July 2013