“Avoid...unless you enjoy mediocre food at gourmet prices”
Review of Cafe Campbelltown - CLOSED

Cafe Campbelltown
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
State of Confusion
“Avoid...unless you enjoy mediocre food at gourmet prices”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My family and I went to eat here using a restaurant.com certificate because we were planning a day in Hershey. The menu looked fine If a bit pricey but I don't mind paying for good food with good service.
I was surprised at how small and dumpy the place looked but we were not deterred. We walk in and were swept into the past. The furnishings are quaint...they are going for the mismatched antique look, I assume. The walls were avocado green straight from 1973. There were quaint little glasses, teapots and "antiques" scattered all over. Since everything is for sale, it's like eating in a flea market. The smell hit me next - either they haven't cleaned their updraft in a while or they just don't like using it because I could smell the deep fryer in the dining room.
Our waitress was a bit ditzy but so was the rest of the staff. She was very nice, though. Most of the servers spent time discussing the resident ghosts of the restaurant.
Since we had the restaurant.com cert, we ordered two appetizers with our entrees. We selected the fried pickles and the crab spinach dip. The dip had a nice gratin on top but it was runny and loose. The flavor was fine and it seemed like it had back fin in it. The fried pickles were tasty and served with a good remoulade.
Our salads were served next with burnt and tasteless biscuits in the shape of muffins. I've had biscuits that tasted bad in the past but flavorless....that was new. We also got corn bread in the bread basket. the corn bread tasted like corn bread and it came with a lovely strawberry puree.
When our entrees arrived, they looked nice. I ordered the CC's crab - crab meat topped with cheese and backed in a casserole dish. My husband ordered the steak with shrimp and gorgonzola topping. My daughters ordered the ham entree and the three center steak. The ham barely fit on one plate - it was huge! Honestly, even though it was a 14 dollar entree, it looked worth it and my daughter enjoyed what she ate. My husband also enjoyed his 24$ entree of steak and three pieces of shrimp. I tasted his steak and it was good. Now the crab...at around $20 for this plate, i expected something delicious. I was disappointed. There were so many pieces of celery or green pepper that I felt like I was eating tuna salad baked with cheese on top. The fries were delicious, though. My other daughter hated her meal. The sauce served on the meat was made with wine and it tasted like they didn't try to cook the wine out. It wasn't good. I gladly shared my crab dish with her so she'd have something to eat. The girls also had the creme brulee and a piece of peanut butter pie. The pie tasted weird and the creme brulee was just okay.
For the price of the meal - even with the restaurant.com certificate, I expected better than what we got.
To sum up, the fries are good, the lemonade is delicious and they have good homemade root beer. Other than that...well, save your money and go somewhere else.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank OwlTrippin

“Nothing good to say”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I went to Cafe Campbelltown on the recommendation of a co-worker. Well I will never go back. We went for a late lunch and we were the only people there. The wait staff was inattentive and they were busy gossiping. I ordered french onion soup and the onions were hardly cooked and the cheese was not melted. The open faced prime rib sandwich was drowning in gravy and the prime rib was overcooked and mostlt fatty. The french fries could have been cooked longer. When we were done it took forever for the waitress to come back so that we could get the check. It was way overpriced for the quality of food that you get.

Shippensburg, PA
“Supper with family”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We ate at Cafe Campbelltown before attending Disney on Ice with family. Wow what an awesome place. Delicious food, gluten free food for our nephew, amazing homemade salad dressings and french fries. Definitely worth a stop!

Fort Lee, NJ
“Delicious and Fresh”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went to the Campbelltown Cafe this weekend on a getaway to Hershey, PA and it was so amazing! Quirky decor which makes it unique. Everything we ordered was extremely fresh. The biscuits and cornbread were served hot and moist. The highlight was the buffalo chicken strips! Huge white meat with crunchy fresh breaded outside. And who can forget their homemade root beer. Affordable and a perfect way to wind down your day. BYOB

Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Not as good as before”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This restaurant is not as good as it was. Veggie sandwich was horrible and the homemade chips were so salty we couldn't eat them. Price is not worth it.

• Visited March 2013