“Not-Quite-The-Best Western”

Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
West Orange, New Jersey
“Not-Quite-The-Best Western”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on business in June 2013. The room was a little musty, and my colleague staying across the hall had to use my bathroom because his didn't work. My television didn't work, but I was so tired I didn't really care. The parking lot was extremely unsafe - not in terms of dangerous people hanging around, but in terms of being poorly-lit, poorly-marked, and only having one very confusing entrance/exit. The complementary breakfast was pastries, bagels, bread, and muffins. No fruit, eggs, meat... only starches. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bassplayer55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
DC
Reviewed June 1, 2013

My room is dirty. I have never seen so much dust in a hotel room. There are so many different types of bugs in my room which was shocking. I asked for extra pillow and they said they don't have any extra. The room and the hotel is so old and it just did not worth $140, and maybe $70. I think the room in Motel 6 is much better than this Best Western. I have stayed at other Best Western in the area before and this Best Western is totally below the standard.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank DCKing
Alan O, General Manager at The Milton Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback of your recent stay. We are extremely disappointed with your overall perception of our property, and for that, we sincerely apologize. Even though we can not address the age of our property I promise that we will look into the areas that you discussed to improve ourselves for the future.

Travelers are raving about these Hershey hotels

Riverside, California
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Nothing special about the hotel. Location is good if you want to visit Hershey and all of he attractions. This is an older hotel with no much done to modernize the facility.

The staff at the hotel were great. They spent a great deal of time telling us about the local restaurants and describing which one was best for what type of food.

We were there just before Hurricane Sandy hit. We noticed that the majority of the hotel is below ground level. We were concerned that it might floor. Fortunately, we left before the rains hit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your stay with us. I also wanted to thank you for the great comments you made about our staff. Since we are an older property we strive to offer the best customer service possible to our guests. Also you noted that some of our property is below ground. I would like to let you know that we did not suffer from any flooding in the exterior rooms. We hope to see you again soon in Hershey, PA
Northern Cambria, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I will start my review with, I have stayed at this property 6 or 7 times before when I have traveled to Hershey, and for the most part, never an issue. However, this visit was, well, interesting.

I will start with the good points. The staff in this hotel are amazing. Outstanding first rate customer service. The location is wonderful. Close to everything that is needed in Hershey. Lots of hot water and tons of water pressure, also a plus.

My adventure began when I checked in. The young lady at the front desk was outstanding. She allowed me to check in early, needless to say, this became an adventure. Long story short, they were having credit card machine problems and tried to get an authorization on my credit card 7, yes 7, just checked the final tally with my credit card company, and they ultimately denied the purchases. Thank God!! So, the front desk manager was called, his customer service skills were also excellent, and the merry chase proceeded again with Amex. Thru further investigation on my end, the card was run 7 times. Any normal credit agency would do the same as mine did. I asked if they could just take an imprint of the card, and I was told, that he did not know how to do that, and it just was not done anymore. Eventually, an hour later, this mess was straightened up. I was honestly okay with all of this, I was comped a microwave, and I assumed this was just a nightmare that would be an oversight and life would go on.

When I arrived to my hotel that evening, roughly midnight, I was greeted with a group of loud young ladies on my floor, in all honestly they sounded drunk. I let the merry dance continue till about 2 am when they were warhooping down the hall screaming," party in my room." I had to call the front desk. I mean honestly, do these groups not come with chaperones to quiet them down? I travel a great deal, and this was the first time in 15 years I have ever called a front desk on anyone. A few moments later, I did hear someone come up and bang on their door, however, the noise continued till about 4am, when I believe they finally passed out.

Second night of my stay, I arrived back around 11pm and proceeded to my room. As soon as I crested the steps to the second floor, I was waiting for a keg to be rolled down the hall. Kids screaming from room to room and running down the halls. Just unreal. Especially since I had to deal with the loud softball team from the night before. Just unreal. Yet again, I called the front desk. She told me that they could move me to another room if the noise was too much. I waitied for about 20 min. The noise continued, I called back. I was informed there were no other rooms they could switch me to. Not quite sure why they suggested it in the first place if there was no where to put me. Eventually, this group quieted down.

When I left, the gentleman at the front desk asked how my stay was, I told him the truth. It was, well, interesting. He comped me rewards points, which I am eternally greatful for; however, this whole experience has really opened my eyes to the fact that if your computer systems are not working properly, they really can mess up your credit card.

Will I return. I'm pretty sure I won't. I can not express again how wonderful the customer service is in this building; however, the loud groups and the lack of supervision with theses groups is not exactly an ideal situation for a business traveler.

Room Tip: Avoid traveling and staying in this building when school groups are raiding it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us feedback of your most recent stay with us. I wanted again apologize for the credit card system issue. Since then our systems have worked out all the issues and everything is working smoothly again. I also wanted to deeply apologize for the noise of the kids group that was here during your stay. I can honestly say that not all groups like that have those issues. I was happy to hear your great comments about our staff though. We try daily to go above and beyond for our guests. I do hope that if you would return to Hershey that you would consider staying with us again.
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2013

There were a few major issues during my hotel stay. I rated the value of the room for the price higher because I did receive a Travel Agent discount as well as a $50 decrease overall due to my issues so I did not pay much. However, upon arrival I sat my 4 year old niece in a chair that was at a breakfast bar in our Hoover suite. The chair was completely broken and she almost cracked her head open leaving Best Western wide open for a law suit. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Also, I was sleeping on the pull-out sofa. The room had no extra sheets, blankets OR pillows to accommodate. I asked for blankets and was given sheets. Called again for a blanket and was brought a DISGUSTING ripped, stained, burn holes filthy blanket. It was passed mid-night as we checked in late and I had to sleep with it at that point. These two situations did start my vacation off very badly. I will say, the manager who I believe was ONeil was an extreme help in rectifying the blanket, but the damage was done as I was forced to sleep with it the first night. Upon check out, the manager did take $50 off the price. I would not stay here again even though I love and try to trust the Best Western name. I am a AAA Travel Agent so to have such a bad experience really puts a damper on my recommending Best Western to clients.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cochranville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed for one night along with my mom & sisters for mothers day. A little trouble checking in as they didn't have my reservation in the system (made through bestwestern.com) but thankfully there was a room available and the staff was friendly. The rooms are average but for the price it was just fine for the night. We had two double beds, my bed was uncomfortable and I would not have wanted to stayed a much longer stay but my mom said her bed was just fine. Breakfast was included which was average. The hotel even had an outdoor pool, which was closed, but looked very nice. Location was great, very close to Hershey Park!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for providing your feedback of your most recent stay with us. Since then we have looked into the occurrence of missing reservations and have been able to double check daily to make sure that does not happen again. I also wanted to thank you for the nice comments about our stay. We are always trying to exceed our guests expectations when it comes to customer service. As you stated we are not a newer property but our customer service in extremely important to us. I hope that the next time you are in Hershey, PA that you would consider staying with us again.
Centerport, NY
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed at the Best Western hotel in Hershey, PA in order to go to a dog agility trial at nearby indoor sports complex called "In The Net" in Palmyra, PA. When I read some of the reviews, I was a little concerned, but no need to be. I found the place reasonably clean, as clean as any hotel at this level that I've stayed at. I came with my Wheaten terrier, and they automatically gave me a room on the first floor with immediate outdoor access, which is always good. Front desk was friendly and helpful. There were restaurants, etc. within easy access by car. I will stay there again when I'm up there for agility trials. My only complaint was that the road nearby got very noisy late at night with big truck travel. I myself use a white noise machine, so I didn't initially hear it. When my sweet but sound sensitive dog woke me up, I took her out to hear the intense noise (this was on a Thursday night, didn't hear that noise again over the weekend). Put my dog's "thundercoat" on, which calms her down and she settled down for the night. Room comes with a refrigerator and was able to get a microwave. Internet could be a little faster, but not any worse than other places I normally stay. I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo