“ONLY good thing is location...everything else was awful.”

Quality Inn & Suites Hershey
Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“ONLY good thing is location...everything else was awful.”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I'm writing about my family's recent stay at the Quality Inn in Hershey, Pa. We arrived at the hotel after a long day at Hershey Park. When we parked and walked up to the entrance we noticed black boxes in the gravel lining the front of the building. My mother in law commented that she thought the boxes were mouse/rat traps. That should've been our first warning sign. We waited to check in a few minutes while the guy at the front desk tried to locate a new box of tissues for a guest. When the hotel worker couldn't find a new, unopened, box, he gave a used one from behind the front desk and told the guest to come back in 15 minutes. While we waited to check in i looked around the lobby and noticed the carpets were stained, the chairs in the lobby looked old and dingy. We got our room keys and went up. There were workmen in the hallway installing flat screen tv's in the rooms and there was a bit of a mess of boxes and things in the hall. We walked into our room, #215, and the first thing I noticed was a dirty washcloth on the floor by the front door. I looked in the bathroom and it looked clean. I looked over the beds and noticed the decorative cover on the end of our bed had stains on it, the desk chair was dingy and had a stain right in the middle of it. Not the end of the world because i wasn't going to sleep on it. I checked the pillows/sheets and everything looked fine except that the pillows were super lumpy. We paid $219 a night for a room with a sofabed so that our daughters could sleep comfortably in their own beds. We pulled the sofabed out and there was just a top sheet and a scratchy blanket that was dingy, stained and had holes in it. The mattress was paper thin, completely uncomfortable and dingy. We had our daughter's share a bed that night and decided we would address our concerns in the morning. When I took a shower that night I noticed the shower curtain had mildew stains all along the bottom of it. The bathroom door was FILTHY on the inside and the walls had stains all over. The walls were paper thin and it all night we heard people stomping upstairs. Even with a soundmachine app on my phone it was hard to drown out the constant clomp, clomp clomp of whoever was walking.

We went downstairs for breakfast and were greeted with a toaster that only toasted one side of the bread, "egg" patties that looked questionable, "sausage" links that were greyish looking and fruit that looked like it had been sitting in the fridge(which it was) for weeks. I grabbed a cup of coffee(which was not good) and a mini powdered donut, which was stale. My husband and I were just VERY unhappy with our stay. We approached the desk and voiced our concerns with who I thought was the manager, an Indian man whose name I didn't get. I told him about the stains on everything, how the sofabed was not fit for sleeping and how we weren't expecting to stay at the Ritz but were expecting a clean, comfortable room. He tried to assure me that the sofabed was new and that they were "commercial grade and standard in hotels." I told him we had just come from staying at a hotel in Lancaster that had a sofabed in our room and it was so comfortable I could sleep in it. We just wanted a clean, comfortable room. He said he would address my concerns and put a cot in the room. We went about our day and came back to a cot in the room, the covers/sheets hadn't been changed on the bed, the shower curtain was the same and they didn't even bother cleaning our bathroom!! The cot was, as expected, dingy and uncomfortable and only came with a top sheet and another stained blanket! My daughter ended up sleeping in the spare bed in my in laws room.

When we got ready to leave on Friday morning my mother in law asked me to come look at something in their room. There was a blood stain on their sheet. Neither her nor my father in law had cuts/scrapes and the blood wasn't crusted or fresh. The sheets had clearly been laundered and the stain was old. I was absolutely repulsed.

I was beyond happy to check out and get out of there. We went to the front desk and the young lady there asked us how our stay was. I told her how our concerns were not addressed and my mother in law told her about the blood stain and she was shocked and her response was that they "are short staffed in house keeping." I don't care how many people you have cleaning rooms...if you see a sheet with a BLOOD STAIN on it, throw it away and DO NOT use it on a guest bed.

I am not someone to ruffle feathers and complain about small things but we paid less to stay in a Doubletree in Lancaster from 6/24-6/26 and had zero complaints. I will never again stay at a Quality Inn and I am writing a review about this hotel to warn others! Management should be embarrassed and ashamed that they are giving a decent hotel chain such a bad wrap!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Cari B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reisterstown, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I took a short trip to Hershey, PA with my family and we stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites. The room was nice and clean. We went to the pool and it was a nice size and the water was at a comfortable temperature. The breakfast in the morning was okay but the lemonade was awesome. The hotel was literally minutes down the street from Hersheypark. I'm planning another trip back to Hershey next month and I will be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
University Park, PA
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I wrote a review in Sept, 2012 regarding the terrible, rude management in this poorly kept hotel that ruined my travel experience. During that time, I called the central office for Choice Hotels, who told me that they sympathized but had no authority to intervene. Since that time, I have received absolutely no feedback from the hotel or the company apologizing for the terrible situation and treatment. I am shocked that a company could be so poorly run and yet stay in business. After reading the other "Terrible" reviews on Tripadvisor, both prior to and following my review, I assume that little has changed. I also assume that most of the "excellent" reviews are faked by the current management.

Room Tip: Use another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Robert S

Travelers are raving about these Hershey hotels

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We called to add an extra night prior to arriving and they quoted us $99 and they charged us $129.00 come on this is a quality inn (no quality my 9 year old calls it) would not change the price still waiting on the manager to call us back 3 weeks later!!!! Also the pool is salt water most of the kids there could not swim in the pool without breaking out!!!! I would never stay there again we check out early went to the hotel next to it for the same rate!!!! Don't stay there!!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank SW19345
ushmacpatel, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Hershey, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
We wish to offer our sincere apology and thank you for sharing your concerns with the hotel. Your comments help us to know what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong and how to improve. The pool complies with The Pennsylvania Department of Health. It undergoes weekly testing by a third party as required by our Public Bathing Place Permit. We also have our own equipment and do our own testing.
Sanborn, New York
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked this hotel through Expedia.com. Never book through Expedia! Was on the line for an hour and half with them! They messed up our reservations terribly and blamed the hotel for their mistake. We had 10 people and only one room was showing being booked! We ended up cancelling our reservations with Expedia and booked right through the hotel itself. Luis was absolutely awesome!!!! He went above and beyond to make sure we got a great rate on our rooms and was very patient with Expedia and us! 10 people waiting in your lobby for rooms can be a little crazy. Our entire three night stay was above and beyond. Exceptional customer service! Rooms were very clean. TV a little outdated but it worked. Can not say enough about how pleasant our stay was. Will definately be booking our business trip here again next year. Thank you Luis for your exceptional patience and outstanding customer service!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments with the hotel. They help us to know what we are doing right and what we are doing wrong and how to improve. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to serving your future lodging needs.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I booked this hotel through choice hotels for three nights, but I only stood for two nights. This hotel put several holds on my card doubling the entire stay. When I addressed the situation they made me call choice hotels which is their corporate, they couldn't do anything they told me to speak to manager. I spoke to a arrogant manger named Mr. Patel and he also couldn't do anything! The hotel room is very old, they need to upgrade especially with their TV lmao it was a box tv! Breakfast was ok, but I agree with other reviews pay the extra money to stay somewhere else. There was a concierge named Luis who did made our stay pleasant! The next time I come back I will go to another hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Sandy12287
Brockway, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Nice clean hotel. Nice friendly staff. Breakfast could have been better, but not bad for the price. Close to the theme park and chocolate world. Restaurants not far away but great ice cream place right across the street.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple