“Overpriced”

Add it.
Union Canal House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hershey B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2013

While we enjoyed our entrees, the selections were overpriced. Portions were skimpy as well. Also not much privacy for diners as the tables are close together. Would not recommend to couples looking for a romantic meal.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank John E

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The food is so good...we ate there two nights in a row, during our stay in Hershey. Steak perfect...we had the filet mignon and the delmonico.
Service was very good. The whole feel of the place is just great. The owner took us of a full tour of the historic areas of the canal house and got to see the tunnel that went between the old fort across the street. Don't miss this on your next visit.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ashyn F
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We dined here after a long day at Gettysburg. The menu was ambitious with great variety. Service was efficient, pleasant and timely. I had a Chicken Gorgonzola dish with a wonderful sauce, my husband had two huge and mostly all meat crab cakes that he loved. The serving sizes were a bit much for us but provided us with leftovers for lunch the following day. We thought the prices were aggressive for the atmosphere as it looks like a road side bar from the outside and is very plain inside. I was not aware this was a bed & breakfast as we only dined there so I can only comment on the restaurant. From the exterior, however, I don't believe I would be interested in staying there. I would recommend you try the restaurant if you are not concerned about the prices.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn O
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Small but intimate. Not fancy but comfortable. Crab cake appetizer with champagne/chive sauce was delicious. Fantastic Delmonico. Cooked perfectly. Fantastic scallops. Cooked perfectly. Wow, never paid $30.00 for a steak. If you eat there, make sure you go on a gift certificate. Service was very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MountainGhost
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant which has been closed 18 months for renovation after a flood that rose into the 2nd story was a delight.

We arrived at 4:30 pm for drinks and an early supper. They didn't open until 5 but their staff was outside and saw us sitting in the scorching sun and immediately Dan brought us cocktails at the bistro tables on the patio. Then he invited us inside to stay cool.

Our server Anzhelika (Pronounced Angelica) was so attentive. We ordered the Clams Casino appetizer. Perfect amuse bouche to start things off.

There were 3 of us and we tried the Filet mignonette with roasted red new potatoes and seasonable veggies; the bouillabaisse and the Shrimp and Scallops "Nola."

Perfection! Everything was delicious, moist and tender. And the bread with garlic butter...heavenly.

Thanks to Kelli, Comfort Inn at the Park staffer who made this recommendation to us.

There aren't any room at this site anymore.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Contraire
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've seen a lot of negative write-ups about the lodging at this place. I've never stayed there so I cannot comment on that. However, the restaurant is wonderful. Decor has been improved. It's brighter and a room has been added. We had dinner there recently and everything was superb. For appetizers, my husband had oysters Rockefeller served without the shells in a lovely sauce. I had the calamari in a light champagne sauce that was unusual and delightful. It was a meal in itself. Our entrees were both excellent; trout and the seafood with andouille sausage. We were so filled we had no room for dessert. They have been offering 10% off coupons in the Patriot-News and one coupon for up to $18 off a second entree good until May 31. We need to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LoveFL365
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I meant to do this a long time ago.

I am writing to corroborate the other stories of the rooms.

I had hoped that they would have remodeled. But this place should not be listed as best place to stay on any list.

When I was there the room was filled with mold and had been sprayed with bleach. So much so that we became sick trying to unpack before dinner. After dinner, still nauseous and trying to breathe out the window they offered us a different, much smaller room, that was much less nice like the extra room in grandmas basement but at least was not poisoned. They were very cordial and very professional about not charging us as we left five minutes later. But the rooms were as bad as the hotels people avoid because of "crime". It was 2010 that we were there. I would not believe they updated unless I saw photo proof.

Also, the fancy and very expensive restaurant downstairs has pretty good food, maybe not for the price, but good. It is also a neighborhood drunk type place. So, expect a very mixed atmosphere. I liked the restaurant/bar. My wife did not. If you aren't planning to spend the night it's a great place for burgers and beer.

But for overnights you will be better served to sleep in your car for the price unless they have lowered room rates to 30 bucks. It is a good place to stay if you drink too much and a cab ride is more than the room rates.

• Stayed: June 2012