“Nice Fresh & New Option in Hershey”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
New Jersey
“Nice Fresh & New Option in Hershey”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Fairfield Inn for one night to visit the Hershey Christmas attractions with family, and overall, I would recommend this hotel. We’ve been to Hershey many times over the years, and we’ve found it difficult to find a reliable place to stay, similar to many other destinations that serve almost solely leisure travelers. There aren’t really higher-end hotels in Hershey (unless you’re willing to pay an arm and a leg to stay at the Hotel Hershey), and the mid-range hotels offered in the area tend to be worn out and beat up from all of the families with kids in and out during the high season to visit Hersheypark. Families with kids simply tend to be hard on a hotel. We’ve often ended up staying in Harrisburg as an alternative in the past, which can be a little bit of a hassle, so when I saw that a new Fairfield Inn had been constructed right in Hershey, I was excited to give it a try. I don’t expect the hotel to be in great shape in ten years unless the staff does a consistent job of keeping things maintained, but I expected that it would still be nice and fresh in December, having just opened in the spring.

It turns out that the hotel is very nice and fresh. I could tell it was a nice property immediately after walking into the lobby. This new Fairfield Inn is like night and day compared to some older Fairfield Inns in other destinations, so definitely give it a try even if you’re not a Fairfield Inn fan. The lobby is nice, open, and large, with a nice big breakfast area and a couple of attractive seating areas. There’s plenty of space (maybe even a little too much) for those who are checking in at the nice front desk area to be out of the way of others. Given the tiny, cramped lobby set-up that a lot of older Fairfield Inns offer, the lobby here impressed me.

We checked in at night, and the front desk staff was very friendly, something that I noticed in all of the staff we encountered here. They weren’t pushy or annoying, yet genuinely seemed nice and helpful. They made a big deal of recognizing our elite Marriott Rewards status, which is always nice. However, one thing I would recommend is that the hotel considers offering more upgrades to elite Marriott Rewards members to go along with that recognition. We were booked in a standard room with two queens, and we were hoping to get an upgrade to one of the suites, knowing that the “suites” here are really just larger rooms with extra space for a pullout couch, and that online, they appeared to have some available the night we were there. Obviously, we had no right to an upgrade without paying extra, and it’s not an actual negative against the hotel not to get one. Maybe they all ended up getting booked or were given to people who arrived before us who were more deserving. However, it would have been a great positive to get an upgraded room, and I read several TripAdvisor reviews in which others mentioned getting offered free upgrades to the suites here for no real reason in particular. We’ve grown accustomed to full-service Marriott properties offering upgrades without asking. It’s just a nice bit of goodwill to offer upgrades to elite Rewards members, especially since we’re the ones who are most likely to be loyal and make an effort to stay at this property each time we visit if we have a good experience. We’re less likely to jump ship for the Hampton Inn down the street if it happens to be a bit cheaper next time.

Regardless, the room we were given (Room 419) was very nice and perfectly clean! The basic room with two queens at this Fairfield Inn was better than many rooms that I’ve encountered at older full-service Marriotts and Courtyards that are supposed to be at a higher level. The age of the hotel makes a huge difference. The hallways outside the rooms were bright and cheerful with fun colors and carpeting, and the room itself was still really fresh and new in shades of orange, yellow, and blue, with dark wood. Everything is still in great condition, and we found the beds to be nice and comfortable (some others might say they weren’t soft enough, but they were great for our taste).

It was interesting because I noticed when I was looking around the room that it wasn’t the largest room. There wasn’t actually enough space to adequately hold a chair, so the chair in the room is a very small one that is kind of crammed between the one bed and the wall. Not that it mattered, but there also isn’t a normal closet, since the room design didn’t include space for a typical closet. Regardless, even if the room was a little bit small, it had high ceilings and mirrors that still made it feel like a nice size.

Even if the room could have used some more space, the bathroom was definitely a nice size, which I appreciate even more than extra space in the room. The bathroom had nice granite counters with a lot of counter space, along with attractive tile and great cleanliness. The only slight issue in the bathroom was that the lock on the bathroom door didn’t work.

I also appreciated that, although this isn’t a high-end hotel, there were several faux high end finishes. Sure, the bedding is a bit thin, but it looks just like the duvets you’ll encounter in high-end hotels. Sure, the bathroom shower doesn’t actually have fancy tile in it, but the cheaper material with textured tiles appears just as nice as what you’d find in a nicer hotel. Sure, the bathroom mirror is just plastic, but it looks just like the leather-trimmed ones that many fancier properties are offering these days. I thought these touches were really clever and ended up looking nice.

There were a couple small things about the room that could use improvement. It was nice that the room had a mini-fridge and microwave, but our refrigerator didn’t work. The free wifi was also nice to have, but a bit difficult to connect to, an issue that we had on all of our Apple devices. Noise from the room above was also a bit bothersome. We didn’t hear from any of the neighboring rooms on our floor, but we could consistently hear the footsteps of those above, which sounded like a loud thud from time to time. At first, I thought it was coming from people jumping off of the beds above us, but after reading other reviews, I think it’s just common noise due to bad sound proofing. It’s a shame that a brand new hotel would have that issue, since I don’t know what (if anything) can be done to fix it, other than requesting a room on the top floor.

There were also a couple of small things unrelated to the rooms that the hotel should work on. We noticed that one of the elevators had a ‘Caution: Wet Floor’ cone in it that stayed there for the entire time we were at the hotel. The floor was not wet at any point when we used it. Just doing simple things like making sure that is removed in a timely manner can go a long way. In addition, we thought it was sloppy that the staff break room on the first floor, which has a window looking out at the parking lot, was so open to those walking by outside. When first walking into the hotel, it made a bad impression that this room was so visible. The lights were on and we could see into the slightly messy break room, so I would recommend simply making sure the lights aren’t always on so guests outside can see in, or investing in better blinds to make this room more hidden from the outside.

We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel. I thought the continental breakfast here was a step above what I’ve had at Fairfield Inns in the past. The breakfast area was spacious, both in terms of seating and the area where the food was served. The staff working the breakfast area was very efficient and did a great job of keeping things clean and restocked at all times. In addition to standard cold options, there were two hot items offered (scrambled eggs and sausage), and I appreciated that there were several waffle irons for the make-your-own waffles, since they were popular and each waffle takes a few minutes to make. Even the selection of cut fruit was a bit better than what the average free breakfast offers, so I definitely give the breakfast a thumbs up. Is it gourmet? No. But it is one of the better free continental breakfasts I’ve encountered lately. Note that even though there is a good amount of seating, the breakfast area gets very crowded. The hotel was pretty full with families when we were there, so it got a bit chaotic at breakfast after 8:00. I’m sure it’s similar, if not worse, in the summer high season.

Although we didn’t use it, I saw the hotel’s indoor pool, which looked a bit small. There were about four kids in it one time when I walked by, and it looked like it couldn’t comfortably hold many more. Just be aware that the pool is on the small side and may not be able to accommodate all of the families who would like to use it.

In terms of location, the Fairfield Inn is convenient to everything in Hershey. Hersheypark, Chocolate World, and the outlet stores are all about a five-minute drive away. Although this hotel advertises that it’s on Chocolate Avenue, it’s actually a block off, in a sort of unusual residential location for a hotel. However, other than for the fun name, I’m not sure why being on Chocolate Avenue is really much of a benefit anyway. There’s really not much on that street, other than old houses and a few small businesses, none of which seemed particularly interesting. Further down, there is a section of Chocolate Avenue that is a bit more touristy, featuring the Hershey Story attraction and a few other restaurants, such as Chocolate Avenue Grill, Houlihan’s, and Devon Seafood Grill. None of these things are really within easy walking distance of the hotel, though they’re only a couple minutes away by car. The only things within walking distance of the hotel are a CVS a block away, along with a Staples store. All of the rooms on the backside of the hotel look out to the back of the Staples shopping center, which isn’t the nicest view.

All in all, I would recommend the Fairfield Inn. If you’re looking for a convenient option in Hershey that is within easy driving distance of all the main attractions, this hotel fits the bill, with the bonus of being really fresh and new. The rooms were nice and the breakfast was good. I would recommend that the hotel focus on making sure they’re keeping up with maintenance around the rooms and throughout the property to make sure that it doesn’t get the old, tired feeling of similar properties in Hershey. For now, I’d definitely make a point of choosing this property when in Hershey.

Room Tip: There aren't any great views, but rooms on the front side probably have a better view. Rooms on...
2 Thank mrg0137
molly_troutman, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for you great review. You touched on a lot of great points that I will review with my team. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that when you are in the Hershey area again you would be staying with us. We look forward to hosting you and your family again real soon!

Molly Troutman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Hebrew first
Chester Springs, PA
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were in town for an athletic competition and hadn't planned to spend the night. However, the forecast was for snow and icy roads, and as we had to be there bright and early we decided to book a hotel nearby. We chose the Fairfield Inn, which was an excellent choice. It is very new and scrupulously clean. My in-laws were upgraded to a king suite which had a huge separate living area. We had a spacious room with 2 queens. The bathroom was surprisingly well designed. The staff at the front desk were very helpful as we tried to find a restaurant that was close by since we didn't want to drive too far in the snow. There are many options within a mile or two of the hotel. If you are planning to visit Hershey Park, I think this would be a great choice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
molly_troutman, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for such a great response. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We just opened in April of 2013 and we do try to keep our property clean for every guest to enjoy. We are glad that we were able to accommodate your last minute overnight trip. If you are ever in the area again we would love to have you stay with us.

Waterloo
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The Fairfield in Hershey is located just off the main road so it was very quiet. The hotel is clean with a nice, large lobby. We were able to walk to the CVS drugstore down the street and it is a short drive to the Outlet Mall as well as to Hershey Chocolate World. We had a spacious suite, with 2 TVs. There was lots of room to move around. Breakfast was good - lots of variety, and lots of seating. I also enjoyed reading the newspaper while having my breakfast. The hotel seems relatively new so everything was in great condition. I would definitely stay here again if I am back in Hershey.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for such a great response. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your suite and you stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast as this is a new feature to Fairfield Inn's this year. You are correct that we are brand new, we just opened April 2013, and our Chief Engineer Ray does a great job at keeping everything maintained for all our guests to enjoy. We do hope if you are ever back in the area that we are your hotel of choice and we hope to see you again soon!

Oradell, New Jersey
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Pros:
1) Very well maintained.
2) Professional and courteous staff.
3) Rooms were a good size and tastefully furnished.
4) Close to Hershey Park

Cons:

1) Higher on the price range. I paid almost 3 times the nightly rate than I pay on average for my other Marriott stays.
2) Breakfast time is crazy. Very crowded and gets very messy by the end of breakfast time. I understand it is a tourist destination, but I'm sure they could plan better knowing this happens every morning. I was not happy at the end of breakfast and the reason I give it 4 instead of 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your response. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our proximity to the park, our room size, the fact that our hotel is well maintained, and our great staff. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy breakfast. I do understand that it does get busy as well as messy in the mornings. We try to make sure every guest has a seat when they come down to enjoy their breakfast. We do hope that when you are in the Hershey area again you do give us another chance. We hope to see you soon!

Maryland
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

We checked on Friday after Thanksgiving. From check-in to check-out it was a very pleasant visit. The desk person gave us really great recommendations for places to eat. We even had lunch at The Chocolate Avenue Grill 2 days in a row since my daughter made a request for a second day.

The room was very nice and very clean. When I booked I didn't realize this is a newer hotel. Just opened in the spring of 2013. So, of course everything is updated and love the newness!

The breakfast was pretty good, but there was only one person working it and it seemed that she could've used some assistance when it was super busy.

Overall, a great experience! The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I've told friends this is the place to go when visiting Hershey.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for a great response. Chocolate Avenue Grille is my absolute favorite, I am glad you enjoyed it. We recommend it quite a bit as I am pretty sure it is a favorite amongst many. We typically do not have 1 person for breakfast on the weekends, this was a rare occasion that this happened, I do apologize for any inconvenience that this caused. Thank you for recommendation to your friends we love to hear it. If you are ever back in Hershey, please stop in and stay with us again. We would love to see you again soon!

south jersey
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed for 1 night in a suite. It had 2 beds plus a semi-separate living room with pull-out sofa. Plenty of room for a family of 4. Every employee we meet was professional and nice. Breakfast was ok but it is free not wasn't looking for great. Close to the attractions. Pool is kinda small . There were 5 kids in there when my daughter went and I can't imagine too many more in there but she enjoyed it. We would stay here again in the future. Only negative thing was when we opened the sofa bed, there was an old sheet still on there. Glad I opened it and caught it instead of my teenager who would have just got in.,Called the front desk and they sent up new bedding for it.

Room Tip: I don't think any of the rooms have a great view so it doesn't matter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great response. I am so sorry to hear about the sofa bed sheets, I do apologize for that inconvenience. I am happy to hear that our staff took care of it right away for you. I sure hope that if you are ever in the Hershey area again, that you choose to come back and stay with us again.

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were greeted upon arrival by a very warm and professional woman at the front desk. We learned that this was the standard for everyone on the staff we saw during our six day visit from Dec. 11-16. The hotel is new and one of only two Fairfield properties in the USA with this design. Our room had a king bed with a separate sitting and/or working area. The ONLY drawback was a very small closet, but overall the room was perfect for us. Breakfast featured both hot and cold items as can be found in other establishments, but the sitting area was immaculate and included a large central table used by groups as well as booths and tables. The room was used by guests bringing their own take-in food on a number of occasions, but we never saw any sign of trash or spills. Our room was very quiet, with no noise from rooms above or beside ours. Location is adjacent to a resident area in the city, making it free of traffic noise as well. Yet the major street is just two blocks away, making this a very convenient location.There were two television sets in our room, although most who visit Hershey will find other ways to remain occupied. At the time of our stay, the price was very reasonable, being only a small premium over several other acceptable but less outstanding properties where we have stayed previously. The difference is worth every penny. Even as the property slowly ages, the quality of the staff will make it a special place if the current standard is maintained. We were warmly greeted every time we passed the front desk and made to feel very welcome. Following an overnight ice storm, the front desk people even provided use of a better ice scraper to clear help clear my windshield.

Room Tip: Given the location there is no need to worry about street noise or special views. There are several...
1 Thank TomHustad
Thank you so much for such great feedback! Our staff is what sets us apart from other hotels. We try to make sure we provide service that will make you want to return! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. If there is anything else we can do for you please let me know, and we sure hope that if you come back to visit the "Sweetest Place on Earth" that you will stay with us again.