“A Staple”

Bears Den
Ranked #18 of 84 Restaurants in Hershey
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Long Island, NY
“A Staple”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Kids and I go here on every visit to Hershey we take. Food is usually very good and the atmosphere we love. Motif is the Old Hersheypark Arena, Floor is like a hockey rink, very cool.
The night we went place was very crowded, waited about 45 mins for a table (not an issue as we sat out in the lobby bar by the fireplace). Food was good. Service was soso. Waiter we had (a regular who we have had before) took order and left, one table over we listened to that waiter rattle off specials, which ours did not. His service was at best passable. Im not one to go to management and complain, but next trip I will ask ot to be served by him as it has happened in the past with him. But we didnt let that ruin what is a good time and a great place!

Visited December 2011

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Adequate food choice for late night at the Lodge.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

The Bears' Den is a fun, casual sports bar to hang out with friends and colleagues and catch a hockey game if you are staying at the Hershey Lodge. As other reviews have pointed out, the prices are a bit high given the quality of the food, but being part of a large full-service hotel, it is the most reasonable choice available.

The biggest credit to The Bears' Den is the draft beer selection. They have something for every taste, including various seasonal, local and craft brews that change from time to time. During my 3-day visit, I was able to sample 5 different beers without having to dip into the standard issue American macro-brews.

Foodwise, the appetizers are large and fairly tasty. My table shared the chili fries, which were adequate in their own right, yet the chili was a bit lacking in flavor for my tastes. It contained very little "classic" chili flavor and almost no red pepper kick. Fortunately, there were fries and cheese on hand, so the chili didn't have to stand alone.

I joined my party late, around 11:00 pm. I had yet to find dinner, so thankfully, the kitchen was still going strong. I ordered the grilled ribeye with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. To their credit, the potatoes were robust and flavorful and the broccoli seemed quite fresh. The steak, though not bad, was not what I would consider to be an attraction. It was "herb rubbed," as the menu claimed, but the seasoning was quite subtle to the point where you got very little flavor enhancement from it. The meat itself was fairly flavorful and of decent quality which helped to make up for the apparent lack of seasoning. However, it was cut rather thin making it difficult to find the mark on "medium rare."

All in all, I can comfortably recommend The Bears' Den to Hershey Lodge visitors looking for a beer and a bite in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. While the food is adequate and has some potential, I don't know that it is enough to be the sole focal point of the experience.

• Visited April 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good choice if staying at the Hershey Lodge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2011

We were staying at the Hershey Lodge over the Thanksgiving weekend so dinner at Bear's Den seemed most convenient. The wait was reasonable for a Friday night (about 40 minutes or so), so we took the pager provided and wandered around the gift shop next door to kill some time. Before we knew it, our pager was lit up and it was our turn to be seated. First let me start by saying this is a sports bar- and if you didn't know it you soon will after you walk in. There is a huge tv behind the bar showing the game (I suppose whatever game is playing at the time- this time it was college football). We were seated at a booth which also had a tv in it showing the football game. The menu is pretty standard bar fare- buffalo wings, burgers, etc. My daughter and I shared the mozzarella sticks appetizer while my hubby and son shared the wings. Both were fine- nothing spectacular but good just the same. For entree, I had the reuben- it had both turkey and corned beef on it. The turkey was a little dry for my liking. My son had the philly cheesesteak sub- it seemed a bit small for the price of $12, but he ate it and said it tasted fine. My daughter had the kid's mac and cheese. Again, it was fine but nothing to write home about. Now here is where the Bear's Den really shined- my hubby had a burger. It was the best burger we have had in a while- juicy, flavorful, huge 1/2 pound yummy burger. We passed it around the table so everyone could try a bite- wow! It was that good! Next I tried the chocolate covered cherry martini (I figured since we were in Hershey, I should have something made with chocolate- LOL!). It was so yummy- and I am not normally a martini drinker! Getting to keep the Hershey Lodge martini glass was an added bonus.

Of course, our meal was expensive, but it seemed everything at the Lodge was a bit inflated as far as price went. We expected as much when we decided to eat at there and not go offsite so we weren't shocked by the total bill, which including tip was about $115.

I would recommend eating here if you are looking for something convenient if staying at the Lodge and would like bar type food. Plus I bet the overall atmosphere would be really fun if there was a big game on (maybe Ravens vs. Steelers). Food was good, service was good, price a bit high but expected. There are better places if you want to venture outside of the lodge; but if you want to stay close, Bear's Den is a great choice.

• Visited November 2011
Athens, PA
“Nice choice for lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

The Bear's Den is located in The Hershey Lodge. It is a sports bar theme, named for the Hershey Bears hockey team. It has a nice lunch menu, reasonably priced, nice variety of items. I had the half-sandwich and soup lunch, it was excellent and under $10.00. Service is pretty quick. Recommend eating here if you are at the Lodge for a conference, but get there early for lunch as it does fill up quickly when a conference event is in progress. I would definitely eat there again.

• Visited October 2011
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sub par food at top dollar prices.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

We went there as part of resturant week. Adult meals were ok and nothing to brag about. The kids meal was way over priced. $7 hotdog. Ripoff. Will not go back.

Been to Bears Den? Share your experiences!