All reviewsauto museumaaca museumpull out couchwafflesindoor poolcomplimentary breakfastliving areathe breakfast areastayed here for two nightsthe ac unitfront desk staffchocolate worldclean hotelwould stay here againdecent sizerefrigerator and microwaveshort drive
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I was surprised to see so many positive reviews of this hotel. There were definite pros but the cons vastly outweigh the pros unfortunately. I just hope it's an isolated thing and not indicative of a quality problem with Marriott's lower end hotels.

PROS: The staff really care about their guests, their jobs and were very accomodating and the general manager was really very nice - the only exception was Pat the breakfast lady who was downright rude. Even the maids smiled and said hello! This hotel is within spitting distance of Hershey Park - so if you want to be close you cannot get any closer unless you were in the park itself. Ample parking and there is a fantastic family-owned ice cream shop right across the street with a swingset - yummy and great for the entire family. Even the room was average - the bathroom being less than average - the bed was surprisingly comfortable! I slept very well in it. The air conditioning worked really well even the unit was at least 10 years old. There is an empty mini fridge and microwave which is useful but every "suite" hotel has it, so it's not unusual. They just put into place a craft night, movie night and a board game night. We did the craft night and my 5 year old loved it! The craft was great and it was a lot of fun for her - and a great way to decompress before dinner after a full day at Hershey. I definitely recommend the kids nights - it's a great idea. They do have free Internet and a printer in the lobby for all guests, this came in very handy when I had to print something out that was important!

CONS: As I said before, the cons outweigh the pros unfortunately. The biggest con is the free breakfast. Such a big rip off in fact that I have dedicated a separate section if you want details - I recommend you read it (see below). The room looked like it had been partially renovated 1-2 years ago and was OK, but the bathroom was still the original and it looked and felt like something out of an institution - the porcelain in the tub was slightly cracking, the shower head was at least 5 years old and rusty, and the walls were that horrible plastic wallpaper they used to use in low-end hotels- and for a slight germaphobe like me - it was just gross. I didn't want to touch anything. The air conditioning units even they work have to be replaced, they are loud and cause the room to get very damp so bring along flip flops to wear in the room because although the carpet was renovated it was damp in the morning due to the air - yuk. The mini fridge was hardly working so don't keep perishables around for too long they won't stay that cold. Free internet in the rooms and coffee at all times - which is not unusual either for hotels these days but still it's free.

Let's talk about the pool and workout room. The workout room is so small the equipment is practically on top of one another and therefore I didn't see anyone in it. The pool is just gross. It is too small for the hotel and because of the kids jumping into it all the time the floor around the pool and the windows were soaked in water. It was really dangerous for my daughter's grandma to walk in there! The pool's interior must be the original because it's dark so the water looks murky and dingy and dirty due to what I think is the paint. Then there is a hot tub that was not working, just had hot water in it, no bubbles or movement, so I saw 4 adults packed like sardines in it once - ick. I cannot even imagine the amount of germs in that hot tub and lurking on the floor due to all that moisture all the time in that tiny pool hall.

Breakfast: All I can say is what a rip off. Before I get into that, let me just say the floor around the buffet was always sticky - so gross - and the tables never got cleaned on time and there were 2 open giant garbage cans so there were 3 flies that joined us for breakfast every morning - just icky. The free "hot" breakfast consisted of egg patties, like the ones you get on an Egg McMuffin except flat and tastless and usually lukewarm at best, sausage patties like the ones you get on an Egg McMuffin but tastless and cold, off-brand English muffins which didn't have any taste - and if you wanted them toasted - good luck, the 2 toasters available were not commercial toasters and therefore didn't work, I had to toast my english muffin 3 times to get it a nice caramel brown. Also if they wanted to have everyone make an Egg McMuffin thing then where is the cheese? They only had tastless shredded cheese on offer. They had frozen bagels which were stale, and mini pasty with no taste as well. Surprisingly, however the mini cinnamon and blueberry muffins were superb - so I do recommend those! The plates and bowls were cheap styrofoam so don't cut too deep, the silverware and cups were the cheapest plastic so they were flimsy and hard to use. The 3 juices on tap were probably mostly sugar, they tasted and looked that way - they were not the quality stuff. The oatmeal could have been a nice touch but it looked like lumpy oats in water and tasted just like it. The cinnamon was never refilled and the raisins were stale. If you wanted yogurt or milk - the only thing available was high fructose Trix yogurt and 2% milk out of a jug. They did have fat free mini milk containers like the ones you get in schools, but you had to constantly ask for them they never refilled them - it was as if they didn't want us to use them! They had a large tabletop refrigerator barely filled with anything of value - mostly it took up space. They had mini Belgium waffles which if you caught them right when they came out of the kitchen were very yummy but if not - they got cold within minutes inside the silver holding tray and were hard to swallow. And everytime someone lifted the silver tray to get an egg patty it squeaked so badly it was like fingernails on a chalkboard. If you are a cereal eater you are in luck! They have 4 cereals - Honey Nut and regular Cheerios, a granola, Golden Grahams and Kix. Just be carefuly, the Kix was definitely in the self serve container too long - it looked and tasted stale. Don't look for fresh fruit - just apples and one day they had spotted bananas. I liked the individual packs of peanut butter and jelly, butter and cream cheese, which came in handy on the english muffins since I was so grossed out it was all I could get down without a gag reflex. And of course the woman who ran it - Pat - was just not a nice person and definitely hates her job. Not what I want to see or hear or run into it first thing in the morning. So, I was left for 4 days daydreaming about the Comfort Inn and Suites that offers real scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage and biscuits and gravy, fresh fruits and more. The one in Hershey will be done in the Fall. Let's put it this way, if you really like and depend on your breakfast to start your day off right, definitely do not stay here or stay here and expect to go to the local Perkins or Hershey Pantry for a cheap and delicious breakfast (if I wasn't with my parents who refused to go, believe me I would have) if you don't care either way then you'll be fine with it. The coffee was decent and they did offer green tea and Splenda.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank nygal5
Reviewed March 4, 2010

+ solid price
+ just outside the main Hershey roads (that's fine, Hershey is tiny)
+ romantic 2 person whirlpool
+ huge suite with decent pod coffee maker
+ above average breakfast buffet
+ long pool hours (though we never used it)

- poor shower water pressure (water-saver to the extreme)
- couldn't check in before 3pm
- wasn't covered in chocolate!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I have been to Hershey many times and stayed in many places. My second stay at this hotel recently was even better than my first. The staff are so nice, the rooms are clean & roomy, it is very conveninet to the attractions and yet it's nice and quiet.

Room prices for this property vary considerably depending on the season, but it is a fine chioice for either buisness or family vacation.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 31, 2010

My best friend and I stayed here before our weekend Spa package at the Chocolate Spa. The room was very nice and clean. Breakfast (included in the room rate) was pretty good with a good mix of hot food options in addition to cereal, muffins, and fruit. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2009

Nice hotel, it is a Spring Hill suits so it will not be up to Par with the mariott Properties or JW but it is clean and fiendly. I have stayed there 7 times in the past year and was surprised at the review prior to this one about the staff. I am also a platinum member and being such know that there is no reason to speak with the front desk in the morning as the Bill is always put under the door. Anyway, there is a spectacular Gem next door to the museum; the Antique Car museum. They had many million $ cars on disply, one of which won the Prestigious Pebble Beach Auto show a few years ago, definly check it out. Nice hotel and friendly staff has always been my impression.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business