“5 star hotel rating? not even close”

Springhill Suites Hershey Near the Park
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Willow Grove, Pa
“5 star hotel rating? not even close”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I usually don't write reviews but I needed to here. We are members of the Mariott rewards and used our free room to stay here for a trip to Hershey Park and the Light show. We love Mariott but this left a bad taste to a great trip. We booked this figuring that the Suites would be great and enjoyable since it is a 5 star facility just like the Mariott in New York, but 5 star rooms and service were missing. We didn't realize that you could just get that rating because it is the closes mariott to Hershey Park. So why were we surprised?
1. Room ( king ) was small next to the stairs, we had to move the tv so we could walk past it.
2. No amenities in room? Shampoo, extra towels, (just 2). Toilet screached as you flushed it,
3. Pool towels were the size of hand towels, and you hand to figure out that they were at the front counter, no signs.
4. Breakfast was a embarassment. Saturday morning, property sold out and the food was cold, empty, no fruit, yougarts were just 3 total for everyone. Tables dity, employees drinking coffee. We ended up going out as did others because of limited selection. Residence Inn put this to shame.
5. Employees didn't seem to focus on customer service, or awareness of things going around them. No hello, acknowledgement of customers.

Let's just say if it was a lower rated hotel it might have been ok but 5 star? Don't waste your points or pay extra, drive the extra distance to get to a friendlier, bigger and better customer first hotel.

It was clean so there is a compliment.

Hershey park and lights at night were great.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank BobandNancy12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
to far from the mouse
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed here durning Thanksgiving. I love the fact that the hotel is not right next to Hershey Park. It's a clean hotel and the room we stayed in was a decent size for 4 people (2 double beds and a pull out couch). The breakfast area is small. We did request a crib but all they provide is a pack n play. This was our 2nd time staying here and we will stay here again when we return to Hershey.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank lovwdw
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Really a nice place to stay. My daughter was having surgery and being from out of state really wanted to stay at Residence Inn since rooms had kitchens. They were full and directed me here. From the moment I arrived being checked in we were treated wonderfully. They helped accomodate our needs from accessible room, to special housekeeping needs, to asking her everyday how she was doing, to holding doors open, extra ice bags for her machine, to just being plain friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank yeartotravel
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Some of the reviews indicate this is a noisy hotel during Hershey Park season and special events. This is most likely due to the very large gaps under the room doors which allow both light and sound to invade your room. My visit was off-season so there was not a lot of traffic. I would choose this hotel only during the off-season, or when there are no other choices.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevaors! They have a bell that rings when doors open, and again when the close. VERY...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jack B
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here with a friend for one night recently and would recommend this property. The hotel is clean, the rooms are spacious suites with a kitchen with refrigerator, microwave and sink area. There is a separate sitting area with couch and table and the flat screen TV swiveled between the bed area and sitting area. There is an on site pool and hot tub which we used. The hotel is convenient to the entrance to Hershey Park which is at the same light, just down the street from the hotel. My friend and I traveled to Hershey to run in the Hershey Park half marathon and found the location ideal. There are numerous restaurants in the area close to the hotel and amusement park.

Two suggestions for the hotel staff: we did not find any towels in the pool area for guests and it looked like others had brought towels from home to swim. I didn't think we should have to use our bathroom towels also at the pool. In addition, although there is never a guarantee when you request a late room check out, I did specify this request when I made my reservation, and when I asked at check in to accommodate me, the front desk staff member, said she could not as others before me requested it. Interestingly enough, I was on time for check in and I'm also a Platinum Elite member who had specified this request in advance in writing, but this made no difference to the woman at the front desk. In addition, I told them I was running in a marathon and could not physically get back to the hotel by checkout, but would do my best. The woman at the front desk was still not helpful even with my explanation. All in all, the hotel is clean and in a good location, the rooms are spacious, and most of the staff was pleasant. Beware at the front desk if you make any special requests.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank emnhenrysmom
NJ
Reviewed September 7, 2011

Right down the road from Hershey Park, I would recommend for anyone looking to put their head down in a reliable location. The room is bland but offered enough space for my family (2 adults, 2 kids, and one baby in a pack and play). I liked the additional TV in the couch area as well. The convenience area was nice, not having to deal with a vending machine. I would also highly recommend the Chinese restaurant that delivers to this hotel.

I would caution anyone that does not like a hotel with kids running up and down hallways in the late hours. I saw several groups load up in the rooms and kids were everywhere. It's exactly what I expected and completely harmless. There were no disruptions to my sleep.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank loudube
Littleton, North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Staff was wonderful.
Room was clean and nice.
Breakfast room too small to accomodate people. We had to go elsewhere for breakfast.
Beware of staying on the first floor of this hotel. There is an exit door at the end of the hall and people come and go at all hours while the door bangs as they leave. A stairway to the second floor is located right next to room 100 and you could hear people at all hours walking up and down the steps.

Room Tip: Stay on top floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank A E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hershey
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hershey Chocolate Avenue
Super 8 Hershey
#3 of 25 in Hershey
Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey Near The Park
Howard Johnson Inn Hershey

Been to Springhill Suites Hershey Near the Park? Share your experiences!