“Great value ~clean and comfortable”
Review of White Rose Motel

White Rose Motel
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Benton, Pennsylvania
“Great value ~clean and comfortable”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We stayed overnight. It was the first time we stayed at this hotel. The staff was friendly, room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The pool area was great. Only problem we had was the air conditioner didn't make the room as cool as we would have liked for sleeping but it wasn't that bad and in all fairness we like it cold to sleep. We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank GinnyW818

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Hartford, Kentucky
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed 4 nights at this property, the staff was polite, the rooms clean and were very fairly priced for the area. Front desk staff were happy to give directions to area attractions and recommendations for great places to eat. We will stay again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Prissy0ne
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Not sure how I feel about this one. The way they handle business is quite odd. To be frank, I do not know if I want to even contribute to this one with a review, after looking through other negative reviews, and seeing the kind of responses the owner has given people. (Take a look-- you will see). First off, when you see those negative reviews, you will notice the owners responses are usually pointing all the blame at the guests, and saying things like "we are happier not to have you here"-- after our trip, I'm pretty sure they would say the same.

Although I understand this is a family-oriented, locally owned motel, and I have an understanding of things the owners would want and not want at their motel, I was pretty offended at how our group was treated as a whole (when it may have been just a few of the crowd that caused any problems for the owners).

there are about 25 rooms at this motel. Our group probably took up about 20 of them. This was my first time at the motel, though many of the group have stayed here each year. We had people ranging from ages 21-70 or so. When we arrived, much of our group was already there, enjoying the pool. Yes, some of the group were acting up. But let me remind you, we had just arrived. Most of the group was very careful to take care of trash, clean up, etc. When someone had taken a glass bottle near the pool, and was screamed at (although I understand their policy), the group politely cleaned up and headed to their rooms.

Shortly after, many of the group had gone to bed, headed out, not to be seen. Some stayed up outside of a room with a few drinks, chatting etc. Some of us headed to bed. Now, I understand at a hotel, you do not want to be too loud or offensive. I get that. If someone thinks a group is being too loud, however, all they would have to do is politely ask the group to take it indoors or to quiet down. As adults, as everyone in this group (who took up most of the motel was), they/we would have respectively done so. I was even one who reminded people to keep the noise down so that there would be no problems. Everyone headed to bed.. (most of which already were).. so when we awoke in the morning to knocks on the doors, phone calls, and a screaming woman, most were confused.

My fiance (who was in bed that night anyway, sleeping) seemed to get the worst of it. He was yelled at in front of everyone.. but politely said yes ma'am, yes ma'am over and over again. Because someone else had been kicked out for having too many people, she asked him how many he had in his room. He said, "just my fiance and I"-- the owners response was "If she was smart she would leave you". Funny how he was in bed the night before. After the tirade was over, people were gathered around the coffee downstairs. Oddly enough, the same woman came over asked how the coffee was and if it needed refilling. Needless to say many of us were confused.

As i said before. I understand that noise is a problem, and if people are being too noisy, it needs to be handled. I just don't think that gathering 20-30 people and yelling at them when a few in the group may have been loud is quite fair, or , as I said before, the way to handle the situation. However, the following night we all agreed to be much much quieter.

A few of us sat on our balcony after having showered, getting ready to go out to dinners/ outings/ etc the next night. It was daylight an there were about four of us having a quiet conversation. The daughter waved up at us. "Just so you know there is a family with a baby next door". ok? It's daylight.. we are not being loud. The man next door was sitting outside drinking beer. He said, uh, you guys are fine, when he stepped out of his room and we said sorry (thinking maybe there had been a complaint but not sure why?). Nothing was said the rest of the night. In the morning, a few of our large group had comments like "you were good boys last night".. hm?

I would say as a family place, this would work. Large groups- not so much. Young people, either.. I would apologize if our group was too loud.. if we hadn't been treated so poorly instead of having a conversation about it. But then again, I can't be , and no one could be, responsible for every person in that group-- so I don't feel everyone needed to be degraded and screamed at, woken up in the morning .. even some were told " I don't care if you are in the nude come outside".

All that aside- this is a typical motel. I don't get the price other than it's in downtown hershey. There was a bug in the bathroom-- a dead one.. that didn't get cleaned up the second day by staff. One bug won't kill anyone, though. Its outdated.. the beds were not that comfortable, but they did the job. The pillows were soft, the blankets and towels scratchy. The water lines were crossed, so if you want hot water, put it on cold, vice versa. They are stingy on the shampoo and soap provided- so if you come here, you will want to bring a little extra. I saw others complain about the taste of the coffee-- but , to me, coffee is coffee, and I didn't mind. The AC is very loud when running, and you are very close to traffic, which can keep you up in the evening and early in the morning.

The pool was well taken care of, though it was very close to the road where everyone driving by can gawk at you. They keep the motel fairly clean, though I think a little more attention to detail could be used.

Like I stated before.. i understand not liking the noise, i just don't understand how the handled parts of the situation. I've never been woken up at a hotel or motel before to be yelled at. After that we knew we were unwelcome and they made it aware the next day, watching, snooping, gawking. Demeaning comments upon check out (even though there were no problems the second night) just doesn't seem like they care about our buisness-- guess they do well enough without it. As I've seen negative reviews and snarky comments written back by the owner-- I guess that is to be expected with this one too... but hopefully they learn better business sense in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
10 Thank stormeo
MotelOwnerHershey_PA, Owner at White Rose Motel, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
The group rented 10 out of 23 rooms. Of the 10 rooms, 6 were returning guests and 4 were new guests. We have never had a problem with the 6 returning guests as they have been staying with us for years and we look forward to seeing them every spring.

We have owned the motel for almost thirty years. We have built a business reputation of maintaining a well kept property, having clean rooms, ensuring guests have an enjoyable and restful stay, and helping guests who need help. We will go the extra mile when needed. We will not tolerate anything that remotely tries to destroy our hard earned reputation. Usually our bad reviews are created by guests that disagree with the way we run our business.

The following is our take; you the reader decide for yourself.

My mother (who just wanted to enjoy her morning cup of coffee) started off her Saturday morning with complaints from all the "non-group guests." This is what she was told:

Some of the group had partied till 2:30 AM in the morning. One guy was so drunk he fell and was sprawled in the parking lot. Another guy pulled down his pants in front of the girl scouts (12-13 years old) when they returned that night (a very nice returning group whose business we value). Some other problem guests were making suggestive cat calls to the girl scouts. There were empty beer bottles, pieces of pizza, and chairs sprawled all over the porch; no one bothered to clean up after themselves.

To say my mother was furious was an understatement.

The partying guests were all sleeping so she decided to wake them up, let them know about the complaints she received, and make them clean up their mess left on the porch (about 11 people). She kicked out four extra people (non-registered guests) that crashed in one room. She told the group that they were very lucky because if she would have been called at 2:30 in the morning, they would have been escorted off the property at 2:30 AM by the Derry Twp. Police.

One guy kept taking glass beer bottles out to the pool during the afternoon. I went out and told them if it happens again, the whole group is out of the pool (this was after being told the first time). The guy was drunk in the middle of the afternoon before the night partying kicked in.

The one older gentleman in the returning group, who has been with us for years, got the whole group out of the pool (new group and returning group). The only ones that kept apologizing for the young people's behaviour were the older persons who have been with us for years. We never had one problem with this group until all the new, younger persons arrived this year.

I am the daughter who told the group the second night to keep it down, before I left. If guests act like children, they will be treated as such. Ironically enough, the group was semi-loud again the second night until about midnight. Another non-group guest told them to quiet down and I guess they complied because we didn't get a call. We gave our cell phone numbers to some guests and told them to call us if they had to.

By Sunday morning, we were mentally exhausted.

We have been doing this for close to thirty years and we appreciate our returning guests. The thing that has changed over the years is that some people are not considerate or respectful of other people and other people's property. .
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I found the White Rose Hotel to be a clean, comfortable, fairly priced place to stay. It is not the cookie cutter chain rooms, but one with some heart! Family owned and operated and people were very helpful and personable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Debranni
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We stayed here for one night two rooms the other weekend. While the rooms were not top of the line, they were CLEAN and comfortable. Our room had a small refrigerator, microwave, flat screen TV, hairdryer and coffee maker. There was a carafe of morning coffee for guests. Owners and housekeepers were personable and considerate. We would stay here again! Can't beat the rates. What we paid for two rooms was equivalent to one room many other places in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I will agree with the owners being great, the person that checked us in was so helpful too.
We got into town after 10 and was all set to put our keys in the safe box for late arrivals, but was there and offered ideas for dinner as well as where fireworks would be.
The room was tiny and the bathroom smaller, might want to consider bringing your own soap and shampoo too. The ones offered were as tiny as the bathroom which is probably ok for two but not ok for 4 people I'm sure they would get you more if you asked. If you want a "motel" experience, this is it, decor was dated, but in good repair and adds to the experience.

Room Tip: Typical motel so if you don't like stairs might have to take a lower level room.