“Full Hershey "experience," but in need of some changes to rooms”
Review of Hershey Lodge

Hershey Lodge
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
New York
“Full Hershey "experience," but in need of some changes to rooms”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I stayed at the Hershey Lodge with my husband and 5 year-old son. My sister, brother-in-law, and 4 year-old niece stayed in another room on the same floor. The Hershey Lodge is a nice place to stay if you want the total Hershey "experience." For example, the candy characters visit in the main lobby every morning for photos. When you check in, you are given a chocolate bar for each person in your room. The lobby is very pretty and cozy. The gift shop is decent with a variety of Hershey items. However, the hotel is quite large. A few times, we almost got lost going from our room at the back of the hotel to the main lobby. Also, the pillows in the rooms NEED to be changed. They are way too puffy. My 5 year-old couldn't use it. The beds are not the most comfortable, either.
My son did enjoy the "kisses" wallpaper in the bathroom and design on the sheets. Also, the breakfast sandwiches in the Cocoa Beanery were delicious. The price is a little high. We considered staying a third night, but at $300.00 and change, we could not justify another night. All in all, it is a nice hotel. I would stay here again, but I'd remember to bring my own pillows! One last thing, I would like to commend the security dept. My husband left several valuable items in our safe, and we were notified within a half-hour of checking out that the hotel had them for us to pick up. Luckily for us, we were still in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
Westfield
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We have been going to Hershey Park for 8 years but never stayed at the lodge. The check in was pure chaos and I waited in a check in line 30minutes, then received a call my room was ready, waited in a key pick up line for 35minutes to find out the room was not ready. The one attendant at the key pick up line actually just walked away and left the line for 10 minutes. The room was clean and very nice. We were in the main tower. The shuttle lines were long and we stayed in the park until park closing the first night and waited 35 minutes to get a shuttle home. All of the parking lots for the park were completely empty and we were still waiting for a shuttle. The next day we drove to the park. It was conveinent having restaurants in the hotel. Due to all the confusion at check in, my credit card was billed, credited and rebilled...I called to speak to someone to explain the charges and honestly I was not angry, just looking for clarification. She clarified and before I could get the words Thank you out of my mouth, she hung up on me with no goodbye. Honestly, we have stayed at the Days Inn off property and The Suites at Hershey and will definitely go there instead.

Melville, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Lodge was clean and comfortable although stay away from "fifth avenue" building as it has a horrible musty odor smell being that it's one of the original bldgs. Had to ask to move to another bldg which we were accommodated without problems and was fine. Personally I think for $300 it's really just a nice motel and would rather spend the extra to stay at the hershey hotel which is more deserving of the high price. For this amount, next time I can't get a room at the hotel, i will stay at Hampton Inn. Also, place is more of a compound that by time you walk to catch the shuttle, you may as well take your car and drive straight to the park (and you will save yourself the time of waiting in the long line to get on the shuttle!)

Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This was our second time at the lodge. Would have considered the hotel first, but was booked. However, it has a relaxing family vibe - non-formal. Kids like the breakfast buffet in Lebby's. Unfortunately, they have done away with the omelet station - kids loved that in the past.
Overall, good for your money especially with kids. The housekeeping was okay. Rooms are nice. Didn't like finding an unused diaper beneath one of the beds. Even though it was unused, still bothered us.The bathroom outlet didn't work when we plugged in the dryer. Only got one nights turn down service - we were there for three nights

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Clean rooms, excellent beds and very good service. Parked my car on arrival and didn't need it again until we left. Shuttle buses run from hotel to Hershey park every 20 minutes (actually seemed more like every 10 minutes) and let you off at the front entrance of the park. 5 restraunts on premise, with above average quality. Pricey at some of the places, but well worth it not to have to find a place to eat. Staff extremely friendly and helpful. Concierge service did a great job. Plenty of parking. Very clean, and pretty. My only bad experience was poor internet reception on wireless using the free service. A upgraded connection is available for $10/day. We stayed on the 5th floor close to the end of the hall, don't know if that contributed to degraded signal. Hooked the laptop up to wired and it worked fine. Overall experience was excellent and worth every penny.

Williamstown, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I attended a work conference held at the Lodge. I booked a regular room , but upon approval asked if I could have a king in theTower building. They upgraded me with no additional costs and were very accomodating. So the long line to check in was worth it since I was able to be in a better area of the hotel. After seeing my coworkers rooms I was glad I asked. The hotel is clean with many eating facilities to chose from however I thought the food was a bit overpriced based on the quality. My coworkers and I were shocked that a martini was $13. We never asked or provided with the drink menu so we did not know that we were allowed to keep the glass until we went to the Bear's Den bar and the F&B manager told us we should have kept it. The bartender there gave us glasses although from there on in we drank wine since it was much more reasonable. Which leads me to not understanding why the better quality wine could be purchased at the Forebay for the same price as the Jacob's Creek everywhere else in the hotel.

The convention rooms were like an icebox - several woman who lived locally and attended the conference came back the second day with blankets. Both men and woman were wearing coats, sweaters and whatever double layer clothing they could get on since for whatever reason after complaining still could not bring the temp to a reasonable degree. Our breaks were left short of coffee, hot water and utensils - but I guess that was more of a problem with the conference presentors to handle then a guest of the hotel attending a conference.

The food at the Grill was good - we liked it so much that we ate there everyday for Lunch. Our lunchtime was limited and the service was quick and very good. Dinner was tougher to find a good meal everynight, however the meal at The Forebay was good and reasonably priced. Forget room service, it was shocking that a spinach omlete and coffee for one (no toast, home fries or meat) was $24 before tip. The room surcharge fee and delivery charge was outrageous - my fault for not really looking up the cost before ordering.

My coworker said Disney was actually cheaper - being there I would have to agree. However, overall everything was good, the food alittle overpriced and definately a resort catered to families. I would stay there again but most likely eat my main meals outside of the resort.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Lodge, though old in years was very new in decor. The staff was excellent. The list of activities was long. The kids loved having so many pools to choose from and miniture golf as early as 8:30AM. We did not plan enough time to spend just enjoying some of what was going on inside the hotel. The Hershey Gardens have a butterfly house. Nothing else at the Gardens will be found interesting for children. The museum allows kids to explore the area with an interactive map that is worth 30 minutes of fun and another 15 minutes to create and email to yourself a chocolate bar wrapper of your own design. There are a couple of short movie presentations, an inspiring story of Milton Hershey and a movie kids will like about chocolate making and how Hershey chocolate came to be. Chocolate World is very new and updated. Make your own chocolate bar is worth all of the $15 to see the inner workings of an assemply line and to see your name laser printed onto the box. Here, you actually design the box the chocolate bar with ingredients of your choice actually goes into. There is also a 3-D movie at Chocolate World for about $5.00 per person, a little less for kids. The ride is updated and on par with many we experienced in Disney World. Not the old animatronics I recall from long ago. We stayed one night at the lodge at a Hershey Park package price. Well worth the value if you have not tried any of the attractions mentioned yet. The shuttle to the park was convenient and easy to find and use.