“Expensive, but wouldn't stay anywhere else with kids.”
Review of Hershey Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hershey
Hershey Lodge
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed August 26, 2005

Yes, I agree with other reviewers that this is an expensive hotel (I stayed for three nights at 265.00 per night for a queen double in the Tower), and it doesn't have some of the things that travellers have come to expect (like complementary coffee) but it has many benefits for those travelling with children.

Things that I really appreciated: spacious, modern room with a mini-fridge, frequent shuttle to the park, three pools, a daily activities newsletter under my door in the morning, reasonably priced in-room movies, 5 restaurants on premises. Most memorable activities would be the pool-side movie and the family s'mores night.

If you are travelling with children you MUST book early and request a room in the Tower. This resort is absolutely huge and very spread out. The main part of the hotel is known as the Tower and it is convenient to all of the restaurants, pools, rec center, shuttle, lobby, everything!

We tried all 5 restaurants during our stay and I wasn't really impressed with any of them. I wouldn't call the food bad, just typical. Stay away from Lebbie's, it was very dirty. So was the Bear's Den. Stick with the Hershey Grill and the Forebay. They have a much more calm, clean atmosphere. The food and prices seemed to be exactly the same at all three restaurants. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't one central kitchen. Besides, for my daughter a chicken tender by any other name... There are very many chain restaurants close by but I prefer not to have to drive anywhere once I arrive at my destination. It breaks the vacation spell!

Things that I could have done without: Front desk staff, concierge, and waitresses were all rude. I asked the concierge if I could buy a stamp and she literally sneered at me, saying that she could sell me a stamp but she couldn't make change. Huh?

One waitress strode by our table with our plates and deposited them in front of us without stopping. Another did not speak to us at all. She managed to take our order, serve our food, and deposit our check on the table without uttering a single word. I saved a lot of money on tips this week! I should say, though, that the bellmen are very polite, eager, and helpful.

If you can ignore the staff, this is really a wonderful place to spend 2-3 days with your kids. I was traveling with just myself and one child and all told, we spent 4 full days/3 nights at the Hershey Lodge, bought the two-day discount park passes, ate at the hotel or the park for every meal, watched first-run movies in the room every night, and it ended up costing somehere around $1400.00. That includes money spent on chocolate and souveniers.

5  Thank busymom48713
Write a ReviewReviews (2,889)

Reviewed August 23, 2005

We just returned from our yearly vacation at The Lodge ( 7th year ). In the 7 years the place has been remodeled. It has always been clean and well kept. The water in all the pools are checked every few hours. It is expensive but you do get what you pay for they have more activities for children then they can fit in. We almost did not go this year because my husband could not go on the rides. We are very happy we went anyway. We had a wonderful relaxing 5 nights. There was the trip to Lancaster for the day ( 30 min. drive ) those motels look like dumps. Other things to do are the caves, shopping, Gardens, and Zoo. As for the restaurants I will say the food is not very good and not worth the money except the pool snack bar, however at the front desk we asked about places to eat outside the hotel and were given a 4 page list some very good not just fast food. As anyone should know from traveling with children be prepared bring snacks and drinks, we even bring food to stock the fridge for sandwiches. Lastly we are from New York City with our world famous Bronx Zoo, Bronx Botanical Gardens many very fine restaurants. I do wish the rooms at The Lodge cost less but you do get everything you pay for and then some.

5  Thank Susan H
Reviewed August 20, 2005

Our family stayed at the Hershey Lodge expecting a Disney experience for the price we paid. Wrong. Our room was located what seemed to be miles from the lobby. We walked up the drive way to the building because there were no sidewalks available. If you have kids in strollers ask for a room close to the lobby. There was no high speed internet in our room. The room was fine but so were many others on our trip at half the price. The air-conditioner was old and noisy. I like to get up early and go to the lobby and enjoy a cup of coffee and read the newspaper, both of which are complimentary at most hotels in this price range. Wrong again. Coffee was two bucks and wasn't even good. How about a free refill? Nope, that costs another buck. The buffet breakfast was awful for 12 bucks. O.J. was minute maid, most items were cold. Fruit tasted like it was canned not fresh. Bananas were spoiled. All this while trying to swat the flies. Egg station was not ventilated and made the room smell like the cafeteria at summer camp. If you want a Disney experience go to Florida. Otherwise, find another place and save $150

3  Thank Tarneeltraveler
Reviewed August 20, 2005

Rooms are nice, but not luxurious. Free high speed internet, and queen sized beds are great. Surprisingly, Hershey obviously has not gotten any cell carriers to put in a cell site nearby. Reception is atrocious at the lodge. Two sinks in bathroom two are an extra. This is a 4-star hotel, with a 5-star price, yielding a 3-star review. The help is excellent, but the hotel is full in the summer and the lobby feels like Grand Central Station.

The main attraction to the hotel is you get free tickets to the Hershey Museum and the Gardens and you get to go into the park an hour early. Also, the shuttle bus runs often, so the walk to get out of the park is a whole lot shorter than driving (and no real traffic either).

That said, it is a huge premium to other hotels. The first time you go here, it might be worth it since you can do lots of rides in that first hour in the 1/4 or so of the park that is open, but if you come again, there are other less expensive alternatives!

3  Thank swpswp
A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, NY
Reviewed August 8, 2005

The hotel is really nice, but the major drawback is the price. Despite what other reviewers have stated, the hotels in this area are all not this expensive. For about half the price you could find something really nice in the area. Having 3 different pools to choose from was a nice feature, especially with the hot weather the week we were there. Also, free mini golf for guests is a nice touch, but this still doesn't justify the price. Another benefit offered to guests is being able to enter Hershey Park an hour earlier (tickets are not included, but discounted tickets available through the lodge). The only problem I had with this is that only about 25% of the park is operating that first hour, so we weren't able to get a few runs in on the rides we wanted to go on the most. We ate at the Bear's Den inside the hotel which offered a great setting to bring the kids with good food at a decent price. Also, the front desk is in need of some more staffing. We arrived just before the stated 4 PM check in time and had to wait 10 minutes in line only to find out they didn't have a room available. It wasn't until about 4:15 until a room was available. With a 11 AM check out time, it seems the cleaning crew is understaffed as well in not being able to get all the rooms ready in 5 hours.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 31, 2005

I agree with the recent poster that the Hershey Lodge does not deserve some of the bad reviews of late. My family of 4 found it to be wonderful. The kids didn't want to leave. I agree it is expensive, but so was every other hotel in Hershey. I priced all the area hotels on the usual internet suspects, and all were within a few dollars of each other, and all were close to $279 per night. I do not regret my decision to spend two nights at the Hershey Lodge. The kids loved the miniature golf, there were three pools to choose from, and one even had an 8ft deep section. Food was abundant, the self serve Cocoa Beanery a bit crowded for my taste though. The breakfast buffet and made to order omelettes were very good. We passed on the dinner buffet and ate at the Sports Bar, and enjoyed delicious bugers, salads, and deserts.

We really liked the Sweet Start program where Hershey Lodge guests are allowed into the park an hour before opening. That gave us a good two hours before the crowds caught up to us. We walked right on to the most popular rides, and rode them over and over for two hours! See if the Comfort Inn lets you do that.

We also got free tickets to the Hershey Gardens, which were beautiful, especially the Butterfly House and Childrens Garden.

Housekeeping was great, and responded to our request for additional pillows within 2 minutes. Housekeeping even playfully displayed my daughters teddy bear on the bed, reading a book and eating chocolates!

And as for the beds, they are truly the most comfortable beds I have ever slept on. Combined with real down pillows, we slept soundly. We were in the tower, and experienced NO problem with noise. With the AC on, you really don't hear much of anything from folks walking down the hallway. Remember, it is a hotel, and there are other people staying there too. The hotel was at capacity during our stay, but the pools and restaurants easily handled the capacity. The staff was EXCEEDINGLY FRIENDLY and ACCOMODATING! Every last one of them. They definitely put the H in Hospitality.

I especially liked the Aveeda products in the bathroom. Different indeed, in a good way.

We received a chocolate bar upon check-in, and mini's with our check at the restaurant, and mini's on our beds from housekeeping each day. If you wanted more, all you had to do was ask.

And the dorm refrigerator is perfect for keeping a cold drink or two, and any medications you might have that need to be refrigerated.

The shuttle runs every few minutes, so you don't need your car once you arrive, and you save on parking fares. When you check-in, they tell you the shuttle runs every 40 minutes, but in reallity, there are 3 buses running constantly, so you never wait more than 5 minutes or so for a nice airconditioned shuttle to take you right to the front gate.

I would definitely stay there again, and I will be calling to see what mattresses they have and getting one for home!

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank sringer
Reviewed July 28, 2005

Other reviews did not give the hotel a fair review. Yes it was expensive but all hotels in Hershey are expensive this time of year. People were nice, the place was clean and beautiful. They give a AAA discount. We stayed our first night at another area hotel that got a great rating, because the lodge was not available. The difference in the rate was $60 . We were very unhappy until we got to the hershey lodge. The Hotel is beautiful. Kids played minature golf and we took a shuttle to the park. The rooms were beautiful and the beds were extremely comfortable. It felt more like a vacation. Extremely happy and would go back in the future.

Stayed: July 2005