“Fantastic”

Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Brooklyn, NY
“Fantastic”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

We simply loved it. My wife and I and our 2.5 year-old spent 24 hours here last weekend and really wish it could have been longer.

First off: they set us up with a "suite" since we wanted our son to have his own room so everyone could sleep in peace. Now, it was more of two adjoining rooms connected by a door, but it completely worked out. The rooms themselves were big, clean and very nice. Other real strengths:

1) A few days before we checked in, the staff helped me book a spa appointment for my wife at the nearby Hotel Hershey. She loved it.

2) There is available babysitting. This, of course, is great news for parents of young kids. The staff arranged a sitter with 20 years of experience (who had been thoroughly background-checked). She came up to our room after our kid went to bed and stayed there for three hours while my wife and I had dinner and drinks. $15 an hour. She was very sweet.

3) There are scores of activities. We made two trips to the big, heated indoor pool and the arcades (which included not just video games but air hockey and ping pong). In warmer months, there would also be fun to be had at the basketball courts and mini-golf course.

4) The rustic lobby, complete with a huge fireplace, is cozy and beautiful. The whole lodge (which really is gigantic) is really well-maintained.

5) I think we sampled four of the lodge's restaurants. The coffee shop was only ok and somewhat pricey, but we liked the breakfast spot. The other two were great: the Bear's Den is a legit, fun sports bar while The Forebay was perfect for our dinner for two. Delicious with a very attentive staff.

6) You get free tickets to the Hershey museum as part of your stay and it was a fine place to spend an hour. The town itself is nice too and we spent some time at the nearby outlet malls.

The only two negatives:

1) As others have mentioned, their online reservation system is very slow/clunky.

2) I had requested an early check-in, ideally around 1pm, instead of their normal 4pm time. I was told they couldn't guarantee it, of course, but they were hopeful it could happen. Alas, it did not and we couldn't get into our room until 3pm. My toddler son at that point was two hours late for his nap and VERY tired but thankfully the lodge is so big that we were able to kill most of that time just exploring. And while I felt that the front desk staff could have been a little more aggressive early to see if our room had freed up, they eventually did call housekeeping on my behalf and got us in.

But that is a relatively minor thing and otherwise the service throughout our stay was REALLY good (and they allowed us a late check-out of noon, rather than 11:00 am). It's not cheap, but we had a fantastic time and are certain we'll stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Lemiracle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
Maryland and PA
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Luxury lodge with great accommodations. Staff was friendly. A huge building with lots to do. Still very quiet and at times felt like we were the only ones there. Lobby was romantic with large fireplace. Lots of dining choices within lodge itself which was very convenient. Had a very affordable latte at their cafe. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. Overall great experience!

• Stayed February 2014
Palmerton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We loved the friendly service and extremely clean accommodations! Everyone was willing to help and no detail was left unnoticed. The atmosphere is so inviting and comfortable. There are so many options of places to eat inside the hotel that you don't even have to leave during your stay. Well worth it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We ended up staying at the Hershey Lodge on Saturday February 8th, after a horrible experience at a local property left us without a place for the night! We were in town for a wedding being held at the Hershey Lodge, and not only did they welcome us and apologize for our experience at the other surrounding property, but they even honored the wedding block rate.

The room was gorgeous as usual, and the bed was so comfy! I would recommend any of the Hershey Resorts property to anyone looking for a place to stay in Hershey!

Room Tip: Ask for the Tower! They're the most centrally located rooms- since it is a 600 room property!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
North Wales, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went here for a weekend getaway in the winter. Always wanted to stay here and IT WAS WORTH IT! SUPERB service all around and the restaurants offer delectable dishes! Lunch in the Bears Den which was a dream for an avid hockey player and coach. Then chocolate martinis at night with a glass you get to keep. You know you are in a good place when they give you a Hershey bar when you check in!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt K
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed at the Hershey Lodge while attending a convention being held there in February 2014. As a Floridian, I was delighted to arrive when it was snowing. Hershey looked like a winter wonderland! Guests receive a Hershey bar at check-in along with a pass to the Hershey museum (which I didn't have enough time to visit). The front desk staff and concierge were friendly and extremely helpful.

My room was in the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup wing on the second floor. The room was clean and beautifully decorated. Amenities included a refrigerator, a coffee pot, complimentary internet access and plenty of outlets to plug in electronic devices. The shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were all "cocoa infused" and smelled like chocolate.

The bed was very comfortable, but I was surprised to discover that there was no blanket on the bed - just a double sheet and duvet cover (or light bedspread). I normally do not sleep with the heat turned up, but with the light bedding, I didn't have much choice. The walls were very thin as well, so I could hear everything that went on around me. If you are a light sleeper, I'd recommend bringing earplugs.

It was wonderful to stay in the same place where the convention was being held. Although the layout of the resort is somewhat of a maze, being able to stay indoors and walk from my room to the convention center was very convenient. The convention center itself was bright and beautifully decorated as well.

There are several dining options on the property as well. We had dinner at the Bears' Den, which is a sports bar, and breakfast both mornings at the Cocoa Beanery, which offers pastries, coffee and hot chocolate. If you would like to go off-site for dinner, I highly recommend Piazza Sorrento,which is less than a half-mile away.

Overall, I was very pleased with my stay at the Hershey Lodge. I wish I could have spent more time there and would love to go back with my family someday.

Room Tip: If possible, request a room in a relatively empty area of the hotel. If you are attending a conventi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
northern illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I am going to say that I did NOT ever actually get to stay at the Lodge but if the customer service, web site, and phone reservation system is a reflection of this place I will NEVER go.

The web reservation kept saying that it could not complete my reservation even though I deleted and re-entered the information 5 times (I'm not an amateur at this as I stay in hotels around 75 nights a year). So then I call the reservation line and twice wait for over 20 minutes on hold.

Finally, I call the hotel direct and tell them about my problems. The staff member says "there's nothing I can do for you, you need to call the reservation desk". REALLY?! This is where we are at with customer service in this country. The sad part is that she didn't realize that I'm making a reservation for 3 rooms for a trial run for a Fortune 50 company that was considering utilizing this property for our corporate team. Too bad

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business