“Our Sweet Escape”
Review of Hershey Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hershey
Hershey Lodge
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Washington Township, New Jersey
“Our Sweet Escape”
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Just returned home from "The Sweetest Place on Earth", we stayed at the Hershey Lodge & Convention Center. My boyfriend & I checked in late Friday night, check in went very smoothly. The Lodge reminded me more of a resort than a hotel. Our room number was 2251, which we drove around to and parked in front of our room we had no trouble finding a parking spot. We had two doors, one from the outside & one from the inside (pretty convenient). I loved the Hershey Kiss wall-paper and the Hershey Kiss comforter. Our room was a king bed, very clean, bathroom was also very clean (see video & pics). Once there we went down to THE BEARS' DEN and grabbed a late dinner, service & food were great, a great sports bar atmosphere. My boyfriend definitely loved the flat screen at the table. No Complaints! Saturday we woke up had breakfast at LEBBIE LEBKICHER'S service was great also food was also very good. Then we went to the Hershey Outlets not much to say about that they are all pretty much the same.. LOL! Coach was having a pretty sweet sale! Then we stopped at the Hershey Gardens, its not really garden season yet, but I’m sure when it is, it must be beautiful. At check in we were given comped passes to there and the museum. We went to Chocolate World, for any Chocoholic it’s a MUST! We never made it to the Museum but heard it was a great thing to do.. Both are great for families of any age! Later that night we went down to The Lobby Lounge for a drink before dinner, which was very nice and romantic. This Hotel is grand and welcoming from the tall ceilings to the fireplace, just beautiful. I was surprised! We had dinner at Forebay, which was pretty good, I have dinned at some of the finest places and it was ok. The Lamb Lolli-pops were excellent, and I really don’t like lamb, the crab meat cocktail was ok, filets were average, for me. We shared the Molten Lava Cake for dessert it really couldn’t compare to Morton’s Steakhouse.. I was a little disappointed about that. But that’s just me & my opinion. Overall, the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center was beautiful and I was very happy about our “Sweet Escape”. Any questions please feel free to message me… -LocoLocal101

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing, everything was great!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank locolocal101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (693)
Denver
Reviewed March 11, 2008

This hotel bills itself as a conference/convention hotel and that is why I stayed here. But as a business man's hotel, it's terrible. The Internet is very slow and continues to go on and off. The concierge's staff sent me to the front desk to get a package and they sent me to the business office. I mentioned that the concierge's staff, which is 20 feet from the hotel front desk, sent me to the front desk and I was told that they don't know anything about the hotel. I went to the business office and it was closed (during the day on a weekday). The food in the restaurant is sub par but edible. The furnishings are nice in the lobby and in the rooms, but the hallways are 1950s dirt and grunge. I won't stay here again, even if a conference is located here.

• Liked — Close to the Hershey amusement park
  • Disliked — lousy hotel for business functions
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Brunswick
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I stayed at the Hershey Lodge with some colleagues at a convention and glad we did. Not only was most of the convention nightlife centered at the Lodge but it was super convenient to catch shuttle buses and what not to the area attractions.

The hotel and building are fabulous, the staff very helpful and the grounds beautiful. Of course it is themed to all things chocolate, but who doesn't like chocolate right? Especially in Hershey. I don't know if it was because of the convention or not but every night our room was loaded with sweets and treats and its true that even the air smells like chocolate.

My only criticism would be that the location is not really great for walking around town. The one day I ventured out on foot I walked for about a mile and the sidewalk came to a dead end at a highway. Luckily I caught a shuttle back at the lodge.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JennyMacNB
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 3, 2008

My husband and I chose to stay at the Hershey Lodge on a Saturday night during the 1st weekend of the Uncork York Tour de Tanks event and were not disappointed. The bellman was very nice, the front desk staff was very helpful. Unfortunately when we checked in the concierge was on her lunch, after she came back we were unable to speak with her since she was so busy with others. We did end up talking with her in the morning about breakfast places outside the resort, so we had very limited experiences with her, she was neither unfriendly or friendly.

We ended up with a room in the Hershey wing (I think it's called the Hershey chocolate bar or something) that adjoins the main lobby. We had both an interior hallway door and a door to the parking area, we found that extremely convenient for both bringing bags into the room and then back out. The room was a decent size for 2 people and limited luggage; it was clean and stocked with cocoa packs and coffee. The bed is on the soft side and the pillows were average. If you use a foam pillow you'd better bring it along.

A Kiwanis convention was booked the same weekend as our stay and there were approximately 1000 teenagers at the hotel for the event, according to the bellman. It was a little roudy at times, we did hear people in the corridor while we were awake but were not woken up by anyone. I'd guess that the corridor wall isn't well insulated but the position of our bathroom ended up working as a sound buffer to hallway noise. Surprisingly, no complaints, even with all that activity. Even check-out was a breeze.

It was a little on the pricey side ($160/night), but it was a good experience. I'm not sure I would have booked this place if we stayed longer than one night, might have gone with a more budget friendly alternative. If you decide to stay here, take advantage of the Lodge perks - they provide free tickets to Hershey Gardens. Since it's mostly an outdoor activity don't expect a lot of plants growing this time of the year, but come spring, summer and fall, I'm sure the gardens are wonderful.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sensitiveartist
DC
Reviewed February 25, 2008

The concierge was helpful but not very cheerful or friendly. However, all the other hotel workers were extremely friendly, saying "hello" as you passed them in the hallway. The lobby area is very nice with a relaxing lodge feel. The wrap around fireplace is great and the gift shop is cute. The lobby smells like chocolate which we loved! They also give you chocolate bars at check-in!
We ate at the Forebay for dinner. Food, drinks and service were excellent. We ate breakfast at Lebbie Lebkichers. Once again the food was great.
The king bed room was a little small and a little outdated. The TV is old but the Hershey Kiss wallpaper and comforters were a fun touch. The bathroom is decent. I liked how the vanity area was separate from the toilet and shower. The 2 opposite vanity counters is convenient too. The chocolate soap was delightful! However, the walls are very thin. You could hear every door in the hallway close loudly. People talking outside our room were so noisy they seemed to be in our room!
The website makes you think that Hotel Hershey is walking distance from the Lodge. I was a little disappointed to learn it was a 5 minute drive. All the attractions are close driving distance as well.
Overall, I was satisfied with my short stay. I would not pay more than $159 for the room though. It was just the right value for my money.

• Liked — chocolate themes
  • Disliked — noisy hallways
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HKbuggy
Baltimore,MD
Reviewed February 18, 2008

very nice communication in advance - however, website leads you to believe the lodge is very near the hotel hershey which was booked. It is NOT - at least 10 minute drive - rooms are fine, a bit dated - concierge was extremely rude. Room service delivery was very pleasant - no robes, small tv, shuttle service we had arranged to take us to event at the Giant Center never arrived and we ended up driving ourselves w/no apologizes from the hotel. Probably should have tried the comfort inn or something else - the hershey hotel was $350 - this was $159.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank CjgMeK
Philadelphia
Reviewed December 17, 2007

We've been wanting to experience "Christmas at Hershey" for several years now, and finally, along with another family, made reservations at Hershey Lodge for a December weekend. We had heard from friends that it is a great experience, and we were not disappointed.

We arrived at the lodge (which is really a giant convention hotel) on Friday afternoon for check-in. The place was really busy, as we had expected it to be, but the incredibly friendly valet helped us unload both of our cars and we got checked-in very quickly (and were given our check-in Hershey Bars). I had been told, when I made my reservations in October, to call a few days prior to our stay and arrange for adjacent rooms in the tower area of the hotel. As I mentioned before, this is a huge hotel, and it helps to be in the tower where the action is. If not, you'll end up walking pretty far to get to the lobby and restaurants. Our families were given adjoining rooms on the 4th floor of the tower. Our kids (ages 5, 4 and 2) loved the "Kids Check In" where they were given crayons, coloring books and chocolate treats and had the opportunity to guess the number of Hershey Kisses in the fishbowl (by the way, a 1/2 full fishbowl holds about 500 Kisses).

The lobby of this building is really perfect at Christmastime. It is very lodge-like and has a great big fireplace, lots of seating, beautiful Christmas decorations and some other really cool things, like a gingerbread ski lodge, complete with little gingerbread men skiers. There were also roaming Christmas carolers and giant Hershey Characters. Also, much of the lobby smells like cookies and hot chocolate. Yum. I could have just hung out there and been happy.

Our rooms were fine. As others have mentioned, they have Hershey Kiss wallpaper in the bathroom and Hershey Kiss bedding. The rooms were very clean, and for the most part, quiet. This is a big-time family friendly hotel, so expect to hear kids coming and going in the halls. The bathrooms seemed pretty new. It was what I expected for the rate we paid, and more than satisfactory.

We only ate one meal at the hotel. We had dinner at the Bears Den. We got there early and had a short, ten minute wait, but that was no problem, as the gift shop is right outside the restaurant. There was plenty to look at. Dinner was really good for basic, bar-type food. From previous reviews, I had expected just average, but we had great burgers and wings, and the kids had mac and cheese. The service was AMAZING. Very, very attentive, which was impressive considering how busy they were.

Later on, we used the indoor pool. It was nice. A little cold, but the kids loved it. There's just something about indoor hotel pools that kids can't get enough of. It is kind of far away from the lobby. Be prepared to walk. We all slept well in the very comfortable beds.

I think the thing that I loved most about our time at Hershey was just how friendly everyone was, from the valet, to check-in, to the concierge service to housekeeping, including the woman who was sweeping out the ladies room, everyone was just so friendly. It carried over to all the attractions too. We commented on it often, which is sad, because I guess we've become used to surly service in our everyday lives. Hershey was a real oasis.

We took the kids to Sweet Lights and also to Breakfast with Santa at the Tudor Grill and on to Chocolate World and Christmas Candy Lane at Hershey Park. All I can say is, this is a trip worth taking at Christmas. Hershey just gets it right. I plan on going back next year, bringing more friends and making it a tradition for our families. Hershey put me in the Christmas Spirit!

• Liked — The great service and friendly staff
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family