“Disabled guests beware!”

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Pompano Beach, Florida
“Disabled guests beware!”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

After staying at The Suites at Hershey for many years, I am sad to report a very disturbing experience. Many months ago I booked our Thanksgiving trip for my family, which includes a disabled person. I called the toll free #, as I have done in prior years and specifically requested a specific building and floor so my father could easily get to the pool to swim with my young son - he is a disabled war veteran who has significant difficultly walking. Yes, I was told they don't "guarantee" specific rooms- but booking far in advance for a specific reason should have helped in some way. Upon check in we were put in a completely different building - an even harder building to access and were told "sorry" there's nothing we can do. I explained the situation to two women at the Front Desk who basically did nothing except say "sorry" we have no other rooms. I immediately called Rental Customer Service and spoke to Joshua - who told me the same thing over and over "we don't guarantee rooms and I am sure you were told that when you booked" - "we can't help you, talk to the front desk" - clearly customer service training is lacking at Blue Green Corporate. Basically what Joshua told me - and he told me to feel free to post this on Trip Advisor (in fact he said post anything you want) - is that Blue Green can't "guarantee" any accomodations for disabled people - other then the mandatory handicapped parking space. If you and your entire party are able bodied its a great place to stay - but for disabled accomodations forget it - their policy is clear- we don't guarantee any accomodation. I am sure there is an ADA violation somewhere and I intend to formally complain to a higher level. The failure to accomodate a disabled veteran won't sit well with us and I hope it wouldn't with anyone reading this post.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
21 Thank NSF821
General M, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I apologize we could not accomodate your request but as we advised you numerous times "we cannot guarantee specific requests and/or units". You booked for a holiday weekend in Hershey and the resort was completely sold out. We had numerous guests already checked in and were unable to move your room and as you stated: you were advised of this possibility at the time of booking. The room you were given was handicap accessible and on the first floor (3rd room from the elevator). I'm not sure what else we could have done. If a "full" handicap unit was requested and we could not reserve it, we would have advised you against booking with us. We have 72 villas and on your check in day 45 were already occupied. That leaves us 27 rooms as possible to switch. Most of those 27 rooms were owners who had requests before you (since it was a Holiday weekend) and/or had different lengths of stay. We take all our guests requests seriously and do our best to accommodate. As an eight year veteran of the USMC, I can assure you we go above and beyond to support our veterans!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hershey Suites are positioned right in the action of everything Hershey. Walk across the street to do some shopping at the outlets. Next to it the amusement park, the football field and the Giant center. Gettysburg, lancaster are all a short hop away.
The rooms are enormous two bedroom units.....fairly well up to date with all the necessary supplies in the kitchen area........
The staff are anxious to help when a question is asked whether its a place to eat, or directions...
We are sold on the place and look forward to our next visit to the area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Central Jersey
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family stayed at this time share style resort for 3 days last week last week. We lost our power in Nj due to the recent storm. We were happy to find a reasonable priced 2 bedroom unit in Hershey to ride out the storm with power . This is not a high end resort ...its somewhere between a Red roof inn and an Economy Lodge...but it more than meet my families basic needs ....the only complaint about this place is that is a stone’s throw from the train tracks ....and the trains run all night long .... we were woken up several time a night ...one night I jumped out of bed a 4 am ... I thought that my rooms was being hit by the train ....the room was literally shaking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2012

These are great 2 bed 2 bathroom units with full kitchen and living rooms. Very modern and comfortable. There is an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. Unfortunately you have to walk outside to get into the indoor pool but that is just the way the suites are set up. Both pools are nice and clean and have sufficient chairs and amenities.

You can walk across the street to the outlet stores. Fun to get a quick shopping trip in. The location is very close to Hershey park and also there are some other eating options nearby as well. We had a great time at Hershey Park and enjoyed having the room in the suite at the end of the day and beginning of the day, and the pools were great the day we arrived when we didn't go to Hershey Park.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer B
North Ridgeville, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband & I traveled to Hershey PA to celebrate our anniversary.

The negative- The hot tub was closed for the season. We had a room without a whirlpool or fireplace. The indoor pool was small with a lot of kids. Our suite smelled like bacon.

The positive- Our suite was clean and the kitchen was well-equipped. We didn't hear any doors or kids once we were inside our suite. There was a television in the living room and both bedrooms. There was parking in the garage under the building. The suites are within walking distance to Tanger Outlet mall. Dining within walking distance: Red Robin, Wendy's and Dunkin Donuts. Other attractions and dining were a short 5 minute drive.

Tip- we always bring our own pillows and were very glad we did. Pillows are very flat and offer no cervical support.

Room Tip: If it's important to you, follow up with the Suites to ensure you have a fire place and/or whirl...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tammy J
Dingmans Ferry, PA
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We were looking for lodging in Lancaster, but with a timeshare exchange this is the best one can do. The property is small, but the 3 buildings are nicely laid out. Suites were very nice and roomy. Plenty of parking. Everything here is attractively decorated in 'cocoa colors' and i swear there is a hint of cocoa in the air because it was just yummy every time I stepped off the elevator! Location was perfect - convenient to everything Hershey - and beyond! Room was well equipped, though you do not get the housekeeping services one might find elsewhere. Others complained here about the train whistles, but though I rather enjoyed them, I usually just blocked them out. No problem there. I'd gladly return here. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. There was only one frying pan (could have used a 2nd) and no placemats, but that's no big deal really. Being seniors, we had no interest in the amusement park, but there were plenty of other activities in the area. Don't hesitate exchanging here!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bib6
Ripley, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We visited Hershey with friends who had a time share at the Suites at Hershey. It is very clean and nice with a large kitchen with full size appliances. The rooms are large and beds very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this property. It is close to the Hershey museum and directly across from the outlet mall. Enjoyed our stay very much.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends