“4 Generation Family Vacation”

The Suites at Hershey
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Cairo, New York
“4 Generation Family Vacation”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We just spent a week vacationing in Hershey, PA and stayed with the Suites at Hershey. There were plenty of activities for our multi-age level group. My 71 year old grandmother and I participated in the water areobics classes. My husband, father and sister LOVED the brewery. We spent a day in Lancaster, Ghettysburg and of course a trip to Cabela's hunting store. My mother and I shopped for clothes at Tangor Outlets several times. We also spent 1 full day at Hershey Park! Overall the hotel has an excellent location!

Hints: Bring laundry soap and wash your own towels to avoid fees.
Dukes Restaurant is fabulous! So glad we listened to reviews and ate there.
We grilled dinner one night and ate in the gazebo over looking the railroad tracks. The kids played on the playground within a safe distance.
The outdoor fireplace was also a nice place to sit and relax at night.
Clean, spacious and friendly. What more could you ask for from a family resort?

1 Thank veddal49
General M, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thanks for the review. Yes, Troeg's Brewery opened right next door... you can even walk over! Great appetizers and great local brewery!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We recently returned from a 4 night stay in Hershey and stayed in Building One at this resort. I must say that I was quite nervous prior to checking in after reading all the reviews about the noisy trains and the most recent negative review about mold, uncomfortable beds, etc. I must say that our family (there were 4 adults and 3 kids) enjoyed our time at the resort. The train which was a big concern did not bother us at all. We heard it a few times during the day (the kids were excited when they saw it) and maybe once or twice at night but it didn't disturb us at all. The unit was clean, spacious, and well equipped with everything one would need. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. The location as many noted is fantastic as it's close to the shopping outlets and the amusement park.

The reason I took off a star is due to the pool/hot tub closing at 10pm. We went to Hershey Park twice and on both days the park closed at 10pm so we weren't able to come back to the unit and take advantage of the hot tub. Our kids did go in the pool during the day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, I do agree with another reviewer that paying $10 for "extra" towels during one's stay doesn't seem right.

1 Thank Shauna C
General M, Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for the great review... appreciate your feedback.
Yes, it was disheartening to the staff that a guest would have an "accident" in the room and put the blame on those that do their best to provide a wonderful vacation experience. I could not answer all the negativity due to limited space. The guest in question did have some legitimate concerns which contrary to their comments were addressed however, we found no "mold" in the room and did note some of the pictures provided were the result of their actions in the room.

Additionally, the building you stayed in is scheduled for $500,000 in renovations in early 2013!! We hope to see you again in the future.
Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed there from 8/21-24/12. On one side you have The Tanger Outlets and the other you have Troegs Brewery. Spent 2 days at HersheyPark. You can see the park from the hotel. When you leave the hotel to goto the park, if you get backed up at the light before 10:15 - Don't wait. The green arrow only lasts long enough for 3 - 5 cars to make it thru. Make a right and pull a U-turn or go thru the light and make a left hand turn and come up the other way. When we left the park it took about 3-4 minutes to get back to the hotel from our parking spot. Even if you plan on leaving the park several times thru the day, don't pay for VIP parking, the tram is quicker and will get you closer to the entrance. The American was staff was very friendly. Only complaint - that damn train!!!! When ever it goes by it blows its whistle doesn't matter what time - morning, noon or night. It woke me up twice. Once at 4:15 AM and at 6:45AM. I also heard it go off at 3:30Am and 2:15AM but I was already awake. It woke my Mom up also a few times. The kids slept right thru it. We were in the Chocolate building in the middle on the 5th floor. Loved it, except that train!!!

2 Thank shawnamc
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks for the feedback and "helpful hints"!
baltimore, MD
Reviewed August 23, 2012

It has a lot of positives: Accross the street from a major outlet mall, near Hershey Park, nice facilities etc. There are also some negative aspects like a charge of $10.00 for a towel exchange. It's near railroad tracks, but none of the 6 people in my party were disturbed by them.
Front desk staff were very friendly.

Room Tip: further away from train tracks
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay. As a timeshare resort, we do not provide daily maid services without a fee. However, your suite does include a washer/dryer with free laundry detergent. We realize not all our guests wish to do laundry while on vacation and do appreciate your feedback.
Look forward to seeing you again!
Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I stayed here in Sept 2011 and my mother stayed in June 2012. Out of the timeshares I have stayed at this was one of the nicest. Very clean!! The jacuzzi tub and gas fireplace were a nice way to end the day. The kids loved the cookies in the lobby and my wife and mother liked how they could walk to the outlets. The indoor kids pool is connected to the adult pool. This made it easier to watch my daughter in the kids pool while spending time with my son in the big pool. The location is great for visting all the local attractions, shopping, dining, etc. Hope to stay here again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. We appreciate your honest review!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 27, 2012

It's a decent enough place as far as accomodations and the help but OH MY GOD THE SPIDERS! No joke, in the 4 days I've been here, I've seen at least 1,000 spiders. It's disturbing.

To be fair, I'm a smoker so I'm outside more than most. I also detest spiders. That said, there are literally hundreds of spiders right outside every doorway going outside. On the hanging light fixtures in the garage, there are so many spiders that it's significantly dimmer than it should be.

Like I said, it's a nice place, but if you're squeemish about spiders, I would recommend something else.

Room Tip: Building 1 is louder than the other buildings.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Mark S
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
We apologize for spiders on our garage lights. The garage level parking (which is our ground floor level) has a very high ceiling and yes it does attract spiders during the summer months. Our staff cleans them periodically and our pest control company does its' best to spray for these "fellows". Glad you did enjoy the unit and surrounding area. Thank you for your feedback!!
Pasadena, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Trains are very loud even with headphones and an air purifier running. There is also a constant alarm (maybe from a fire station?) that goes off constantly day and night. The living area is minimal with not enough seating for a family of 7 (3 small children, 2 teens and 2 adults) and no room to move as they must line up 2 chairs and a sofa wall to wall to fit. DIRTY! The mismatched dishes were greasy and covered with old food and lipstick, the cupboards were lined with rodent feces, the oven smelled and smoked, bathrooms, washer, refrigerator, and carpets moldy, and the floors stained my white socks black within one trip around the rooms. The dishwasher and washing machine are so loud that even with the TV at its highest volume we were unable to hear the movie with either the washing machine or dish washer running. The pools are not in the best shape and are much too small for the guests that stay, let alone the Bluegreen owners that are permitted to use the facilities! But don’t worry you will never be allowed access because if there are any thunderstorms “in the area” they shut both the indoor and outdoor pool down. The indoor pool felt too cold, (much colder than the outdoor pool, and the outdoor pool has sun to warm you unlike the indoor dungeon ...err pool.)If you like firm to extra firm mattresses and pillows then you might not mind the beds, but for me I would have rather slept on the floor if it wasn't so filthy. The linens are cheap, thin, and stained. We were given 8 towels, 4 washcloths, and 4 hand towels and our requests for additional were refused. DVD player did not work nor were there remotes for the TV or DVD player, cable box only. Aside from the subpar accommodations was the far worse costumer service. On our first night, after cleaning the entire suite and making a Wal-Mart run to buy an air purifier (to counteract the mold and mildew) we were exhausted and headed to bed. After an already restless night aggravated by the noise from the trains and alarms and seriously uncomfortable beds we were awakened very early by two children who reeked of stale urine! Upon investigation we discovered that the bed they had slept in was saturated in SOMEONE ELSE’S URINE! They did not even attempt to clean the mattress, but instead covered it up with sheets and linens that had BROWNED from the urine! It took them over 5 hours to remove the pee filled mattress and another hour to return with a replacement mattress that was too small for the box spring and actually resembled a box spring as opposed to a mattress! We complained and were told that there was no other mattress available but would return the old mattress once it was cleaned and dried. The mattress was so uncomfortable and unsafe that we were forced to make beds out of the couch and chair cushions! 4 days later they returned the mattress UNCLEANED and refused to remove it from the room. We wasted another entire day arguing with the general manager, Jay Lloyd (who is not available at 9am nor anytime at night, and leaves at 2pm EVERDAY!) to get a CLEAN MATTRESS for my children to sleep on. Eventually, no thanks to Mr. Lloyd, an empathetic cleaning personal located a clean mattress for us. As I was not an actual owner with Bluegreen I had no recourse. To add insult to injury, my son got to spend his 18th birthday in the Emergency Department as my youngest son became ill due to the exposure to the molds, and rodent feces. Management was unsympathetic to the extra work we were forced to do, the time lost at Hershey Park and money lost (unused tickets, ER bill, cost of cleaning products and air purifier), and the pain and suffering my son and family were forced to endure. Never again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
17 Thank Sgeangel
Let me address in order if I may:
Trains as you can see on tripadvisor do bother some guests. We try to notify everyone of our location in case this is an issue... and the timeshare owner you rented from should have notified you of our location. The alarm you mention does not go off "day and night" .. it is actually our volunteer fire department (very popular in the Northeast). It only sounds when there is a fire or emergency.
Your other complaints are too numerous and unrealistic to mention: I was personally contacted by my staff and called my maintenance dept to arrange a third mattress to be brought to you. The second mattress we brought was not a pillow top but was new.. out of the bag. However, you found it uncomfortable so we replaced again.
My evening maintenance associate who responded to your mattress issue notes he "saw a rubber sheeting" item that is used to "keep sheets dry" in your room. I personally spoke to my Ex.
Housekeeper, the room inspector and cleaning crew who did your room and at no time did they remove dirty linen from the previous guest, ignore a pee stained bed and then remake it.
Both pools are heated, the indoor pool around 83 degrees. Water samples are taken weekly by an outside agency and tested (daily samples are taken by my staff). Swimming in a pool (outdoor or indoor) during a thunderstorm is a life threatening risk. We take security and safety as a top priority and will close both pools during thunderstorms. Any resort not doing so is putting you at risk.
Sorry we did not meet your expectations, to include my entire staff and our schedules. Sorry you also felt the need call me a derogatory name to my maintenance staff. We are an award winning resort w/tripadvisor, a top Bluegreen Vacation Club resort, the #1 ranked timeshare resort in the State of PA and our staff prides itself in delivering a one of a kind vacation experience!