“Room mostly OK but desk clerk unprofessional”
Review of Days Inn Hershey

Days Inn Hershey
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed October 1, 2008

Stayed overnight September 18th through 19th for a business meeting. Room was clean and comfortable. However, the morning of my meeting, I woke to find that there no hot water. After waiting and trying the water in the shower on and off for 20 minutes, I was forced to forego the shower, wipe myself with cold water covered washcloths and just dress due to my time constraints and desire not to be late for my business meeting. I understand that there are sometimes unforeseeable plumbing circumstances but when I arrived at the front desk to check out and notified the clerk of the lack of hot water, she stated that it had been out for 40 to 50 minutes this morning but was working now. I said it would have been nice to be able to take a shower and she said, "Well you can take one now." This was after I told her I was checking out and that I was possibly going to be late for my meeting. I thought this was very unprofessional and she should have at least apologized or offered a discount off my $122.00 bill as I assumed that for $122.00, I should at least be able to take a shower before my business meeting! This hotel needs better customer service training of employees.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed September 26, 2008

My family stayed at this hotel for just one night. We stayed here 3 years ago and chose to go back again because of its great location (minutes from Hershey Park) and because they provide a free shuttle to the park, which saves on parking fees. The hotel itself is just OK. The rooms are a bit small for a family of 5. But I like the complimentary refrigerator in the room. The complimentary breakfast is a great money saver with a large family. The food is fine (cereal, yogart, bagels, toast, waffles, muffins and pastries along with juice, milk, tea and coffee). It can get a bit crowded at breakfast time, but there was an attendant who kept everything stocked well. I would definetely suggest getting to the breakfast as early as possible so you can get a table. The hallways were a bit smelly like someone had been smoking combined with an animal smell (this is a pet-friendly hotel). The sheets in the room also had a strange scent, similar to the smoke/animal smell. Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a one night stay over.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Let's start with the pros
Very friendly staff
convenient shuttle to the park
ample parking
decent complimentary breakfast
fairly clean rooms

Cons
OVERPRICED-I had a $100 Expedia coupon so I only paid $96 for the room, but it is no where near worth the average $200 a night rate. It is at best a 2 star hotel. VERY BASIC!!

Room was okay, not as clean as it could be, sheets were stained

breakfast room does not accommodate the morning crowd.

This hotel is very convenient to the park, the shuttle is great and the staff friendly, but it is WAY, WAY overpriced, not sure where the Days Inn gets off charging this much for a 2 star hotel. Didn't use the pool, it looked clean and was never very crowded.

I would not recommend staying here more than a night or two, don't make it a vacation, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2008

The rooms were clean and the staff/front desk was very friendly and helpful.

Great location to the park and stadium.

Reviewed August 2, 2008

My granddaugter has bites on her face and necks. We found bugs in the bed. I understand that there can be problems but I got no response from the hotel on this problem. I contacted Days Inn and they told me that it is not their problem but the independant owners problem. I will never again stay in a Days Inn. Be careful and watch for bed bugs. And be aware that the Hershey Hotel did not respond to my concern and that the corporate just passed the problem on to the local hotel. In the mean time I had a kid with a serious rash and bite marks on her face.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank mariemousse
Reviewed July 24, 2008

We stayed for one night in a 2 queen room. The hallway had a weird smell but the room itself did not smell. There was a soda can in the microwave. The coffee pot was clean but needed to be scrubbed better. The bath was clean and had a curved curtain rod to give more shower room. The beds were comfortable. The pool was a little cloudy but the kids loved it. The sign said you had to be 12 to use the hottub but there were kids in it. The free breakfast was great. They had waffles, cereal, bagels, muffins, pastries, fruit, toast, juice and coffee. We had to wait for 2 shuttles before going to Hershey because of all the guests going and arrived at 11am. We called to go back and it took 30 minutes and we just fit on it at 8:30pm. It would have been easier to pay $10 parking and drive the 3 miles.

Reviewed July 22, 2008

Aftern searching the website http://www.officialpethotels.com/?source=google for a pet friendly hotel, I found the Days Inn of Hershey, PA was “pet friendly.” I only needed one night there, and booked using my AAA discount. The cost was $206, + $15.00 for the dog.

The surrounding area of the hotel was nice, the grass was green, the landscaping attractive, and the check in area was very nice. The woman who checked me in was absolutely the sweetest woman and was very very helpful! Unfortunately, I did not get her name – but you’ll know her when you talk to her! She provided us to cards for Room 396 right next to the stairs and elevators, which was OK with me, since I needed easy access in and out of the 3rd floor with the dogs. I used the stairs right next to my room, to minimize the risk of running into people and annoying them with my dogs.

When I walked into the room, I did NOT smell any animal smell, as I have read in another post (however, I am an animal owner, so maybe I am not as sensitive to animal smell as someone who does not own an animal – kind of like non-smokers and smokers.) The room was roomy and looked inviting. Your average Days Inn, nothing fancy, nothing total horrible! There was a microwave, a refrigerator, and a coffee maker. The only thing that was a little cramped was the door into the room was right next to the sink and it was hard getting in and out of if your arms were full. The bathroom was clean and roomy, and the shower was nice!

My room was in the back of the hotel, so I did not hear any road noise whatsoever. The only noise I heard were people coming and going from the other 3 rooms at the end of our hall.

The elevator was a little scary – painted a deep red – so, like I said, I just used the steps.

HOTEL THUMBS UP:
1) Nice big room, comfortable beds;
2) Game room on the 1st floor for the kids, as well as laundry room;
3) Computer in the lobby for guests;
4) Continental breakfast (with 4 toasters – not 2 as mentioned in another post), the food is covered, so no one is coughing on anything (as I read in another post) – all your basics – fruits, yogurt, bagels, muffins, French toast, syrup, milk, coffee, butter, etc.! Nice set up, I thought, and the hotel employee strived to keep items stocked;
5) An indoor pool – but I did not use the pool;
6) Ample parking, under the shade of the garage and outside;
7) Rite-Aide DIRECTLY and Conveniently right across the street;
8) Shuttle Bus ride to and from the park (I love this, you do not have to use your vehicle)!!!;
9) Fireworks Hershey Park had were visible and we watched them from the front of the hotel

HOTEL THUMBS DOWN:
1) Elevators were a little dingy and scary red – and the “Do Not Use in Case of Fire” sign had fallen off the wall on the 3rd floor elevators;
2) More toiletries in the bathroom (they just left 1 soap, 1 small bottle each of shampoo and conditioner;
3) In the “pet” friendly rooms – pay more attention to the dust ruffle (I noticed ours had what looked like a little marking from a previous pet (but since I’m a pet owner, I did not run screaming from the room – but left a note to pay attention and wash the dust ruffle;
4) Pillows were very small and too soft! I would recommend brining your favorite pillow;
5) The door opens right into the sink area (but it worked to us);
6) In the lobby, in front of the fireplace, the rug looked like it could surely be replaced – but that little blip will not cause me to not return, and
7) The garage area parking spaces were a little too small for my comfort level, so I opted for a space next to a curb outside.

So, basically, for a one or two night stay, the convenience of being close to the park, in the town of Hershey, and a drug store right across the street, it’s a nice stay. The beds were clean and comfortable, and we felt secure. If you like extravagance and elegance, and let little things bother you, I would not recommend this place – maybe the Hershey Lodge is more your taste. However, if you don’t mind little things, I would recommend you park your vehicle and enjoy Hershey Park with the free shuttle bus ride.

4  Thank klocco1