“Worked out really well”
Review of Days Inn Hershey

Days Inn Hershey
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed August 12 and 13 nights. The road trip took alot longer than expected and we're happy we stayed at this hotel than doing the cub scout overnight camping at the Hershey Park grounds. This was a rainy weekend. The shuttle bus was wonderful, we didn't have to move our car from the hotel parking lot, I was surprised they didn't give us one of those parking passes to put in the dashboard so that only paying customers were using the spots. At Hershey, you take the shuttle back from where it left you off, we were a little confused about where to get it when we wanted to go back to the hotel. Our room was 319, it faced a major road, it faced Rite Aid and Hershey Park. I did hear a lot of door slamming from other rooms. I did hear the traffic go by a lot on Friday night more than Saturday. On Saturday night, I couldn’t hear the traffic because there was a Blink 182/ Chemical Romance concert at Hershey Park, it was LOUD, but I like that kind of music, I think the concert concluded around midnight if not slightly earlier. Knowing that we travelled with our family and knowing a few families that stayed at the same hotel as us, I knew the place would be packed with kids and this is high season for the hotel. The concept of "make your own waffle" was cool but not when you are in a rush and when the breakfast place started to get packed. Families who got there early were able to find a table and eat in a more peaceful setting. The coffee was really good. I had some yogurt which was fair, I was happy it wasn't a brand that had splenda or aspartame. Kids had apple, orange, and hot chocolate. There were bananas, apples, and oranges. Toast and bagels, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs... it was a decent continental breakfast but that's why the hotel cost a bit more than I expected. The lady who had to teach each person how to use the waffle maker was very sweet, great personality, and kept the place really tidy considering the huge crowd. We did not use the pool/hot tub because we spent all our time at Hershey Park. We avoided most of the rain but I guess we'd have to try to use the small indoor pool if we were completely rained out. I read a lot of negative postings for this Days Inn, about BED BUGS. I came prepared with a $20 spray from my local hardware store that is supposed to kill them on contact. We did not encounter them. As soon as I got in the room, I ran over to the beds and lifted the fitted sheets and scanned the folds of the mattresses to see any bugs, I did not see them. My guess is that some rooms have bed bugs and some don’t. Our bathroom had no problems with the shower nor the toilet, the tiled floor didn’t look too clean, maybe they need a major cleaning with a power tool. Our bathroom sink was located outside the bathroom and next to our door, I thought this was really weird and seen these at some other hotels. The sink outside of the bathroom worked for us because one person could brush their teeth while another could use the toilet/shower but it doesn’t work that well for washing your hands right after you used the toilet, I don’t know what to say about a sink outside the bathroom, I guess it works. We did not pack a lot but if we were there for more days, I would have liked more drawers, there should have been 4 but we had 2. We had a flat screen tv. We had a large refrigerator and a small heating device that was either a microwave or a toaster, we didn’t use it but we did store food and drinks in the frig. The room was just enough space for 4 people to have four bags in the room and to get around, we slept 2 people to a bed, so the beds were just big enough. Our first time to Hershey Park and no bad experiences. The park was clean and big with lots of rides for toddlers to thrill seekers. The baddest ride for me was Ghost Hunter, I did not get to go on Farenheit or Wildcat because of the rain. We’d like to come back next year and stay at the same place. I feel really bad for any guests who did encounter the bed bugs, we luckily did not. If people are at the park all day, does that mean their dogs stay cooped up in their rooms by themselves all day? We could have brought our dog, but she would have hated it because she'd be all alone, I'm curious about how dog owners dealt with bringing their dogs. Our friends said they heard a dog barking alot and it was annoying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevator, ice machine, and not facing Rite Aid. I don't think you can a...

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I chose this hotel because of reading the reviews on this site. It's always difficult to book a hotel from out of state and know if it will be to your liking. And I was not disappointed--in fact I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff.

It is an older building, which shows in the bathrooms, but that is the only negative I can say for this hotel. It was very clean, the bedroom area was fairly up-to-date, and our room included a microwave and fridge/freezer that was a nice convenience.

The free breakfast had a great selection, including hard boiled eggs and make-your-own waffles. So convenient for eating early and getting to the park before the gates open.

Best of all was the free (and very friendly) shuttle to the park. Since we went to the preview night and the next day, we saved $60 from this alone! Parking for 5+ hrs is $30. The hotel even let us use the shuttle after we checked out that morning.

The location is great---walk to shopping & dining. Already planning to go back and stay at Days Inn!

Room Tip: I found that the hotel site offered the same prices as discount sites. Go for the room w/microwave...
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights and we enjoyed every minute of it. The shuttle bus to Hershey Park was a bonus. We never had to wait more than 10 minutes for it to come. The rooms were big enough and clean. The pool was nice to have although a bit over chlorinated. The breakfast was the big hit with my family. Everyone loved the make your own waffles. I know one day they ran out of milk and coffee but other than that our stay was terrific.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My family and i stayed at the days inn july 29 to july 30 at 3.30 am we woke up with bites all over us . My six year old were pointing at the bedbugs crawling all over . it was invested. we sat in lobby till 7am and manager on duty never came up to us. the owner bob francz said its not there responsibility to approach us. i called customer service told me i would hear something in seven days its been two weeks. i have called several times nobody calls back. I will never stay at a days inn again

Room Tip: dont stay save yourself aggravation
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank megan7777
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights on a visit to Hershey. The hotel looks very pretty on the outside but is a bit dated inside. The staff is very helpful, friendly and cordial. The continental breakfast is typical fare and is very crowded - hard to find a place to sit - better off going to the Hershey Pantry for breakfast (very good food). Parking is convenient and there are rocking chairs and places to sit in a garden area outside which is nice. The shutle to Chocolate World and Hershey Park is very convenient and comes very often. I am not a picky person when it comes to motels - I will tolerate alot but my only complaint would be bugs in the room. There were several suspicious looking brown bugs (kind of looked like wood roaches but I'm not sure) crawling around on the bed and floor. We spotted at least 8-10 of these bugs during the 2 days we were there. When we got home, we made sure to shake out all our clothes because we didn;t know what kind of bugs they were. I am not the type of person to go crazy about bugs but there were too many of the same type of bug for comfort. That being said when we told the management about it, they said "OK, we will check into it". So, I guess we would not stay there again for that reason - other then that, it was just OK if not very overpriced for what was offered.

2  Thank samborowski
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at the Days Inn to go to Hershey Park and other Hershey- related activities. The clerk who checked us in was pleasant and cordial. She was even pleasant and cordial when she was clearly taking a complaint on the phone and we had a question on check out. The breakfast is one of the better continental breakfasts we've seen, that now has fresh fruit. The shuttle to Hershey Park could not have been more appreciated, and the operator was gracious and polite.
Were there hordes of children at the Days Inn Hershey Park? Yes there were. Is it the fault of the hotel that children are excited? No, it is not. The Days Inn Hershey Park is convenient, comfortable, and well worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My cousins and I got the only available room for the weekend, so we shared a room between us. When we arrived, we discovered that the shower and tub faucet was broken. The maintenance guy took 90 minutes to repair it, after accusing US of breaking it, finishing the work at 1AM. That wasn't the worst part though... when we finally turned down our bed covers, we found at least 30 dead bugs between the fitted sheet & the flat sheet. It was DISGUSTING!! When we complained to the hotel manager Robert Frantz the next morning, he had THE WORST ATTITUDE, talking down to us, telling us that we already had a discount on the room, as if that were any excuse for 30 dead bugs in your bed!!!! There were about 30 more dead bugs on the windowsill, which we didn't even mention. My family and I will never stay at a Days Inn again, and as travel manager for my corporation, I will NEVER put any of my employees there. Buyer beware!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family