“Anniversary Trip”
Review of The Hotel Hershey

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hershey
The Hotel Hershey
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Hershey
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

A wonderful hotel. This takes you back to when service was a mainstay. Everythig here is first class and expensive. Our room was very small for the amount of money it was priced. The food in the Harvest Restaurant was very good, but I felt it was overpriced. To me this is a facility for business meetings were the individual is not paying the bill.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Hotel has a very nice staff. Rooms small and old.
Spa overpriced. I had hot stone massage and chocolate facial.
Massage great. Facial awful! Started with foot wash with used WET towel. Towel used from another customer and ended with having to wash excess chocolate off of my face in my room. Lazy girl did my facial and the facial was awful. The quiet room was coed and loud. The car show was in town and they never asked the loud people to be quiet I. The quiet room. Would not pay another $470.00 tip included again. Money collected before you get service and NO ONE asks how your service went. Not worth the money. Do not waste the money or time.

Room Tip: Rooms are old and need to be brighter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HersheyResorts, Manager at The Hotel Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Mary F.,

Thank you for your comments about The Spa at The Hotel Hershey. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointments you experienced during your visit. We would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns further.

We take all comments and input very seriously and we value every interaction we have with our guests. We pride ourselves on creating exceptional guest experiences, and it is disappointing to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to follow up and to learn more about your experiences, both positive and constructive, at The Spa at The Hotel Hershey. Please feel free to contact me at: 717-520-5815

I look forward to hearing from you and having a dialogue.

The Spa Operations Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2012

went for a 3 night visit with friends, 2 boy-girl couples. The staff were very friendly but the place is in need of a reno - we paid almost $500 a night for a premium king room - the best they have. The room was just not in good shape - old dated bathroom (cracks in tile, no walk in shower, ancient heater from the 60s etc. . .) in fact the room was in the 60s building and still had the old 6os window unit heating and AC - no thermostat. And the view was of a dumpster. Bed was nice -linens were ok, but it was just no great shakes all in all. if you're used to top of the line - it's not. The food at all the venues was decent to atrocious. decent at the Circular Dining Room, Decent at the Trevi 5 and atrocious at Harvest. The experience at Harvest was so bad that i had to complain to the manager -- dry crusty meat loaf, steaks kept under hot plates, freezing cold side dishes, you get the picture. The manager was about 23 and clueless about what to do and i said "comp our desserts or something" and he said "oh ok" - we split desserts anyway, which were actually quite good. the Spa had some great things about it, but the tours were so bad we didn't know about them! All 4 of us got treatments and not one of us - 2 men or 2 women - got a tour that showed us the sauna, the steamrooms, the spa dining room or, in my husband's case, even the "aromatherapy inhalation room." Lazy sloppy staff at the spa. Treatments were fine - but when i had time in between i went to the Oasis lounge (that i found by accident because no one told me about it). they have a great spa cocktail menu - but NO ONE to get you a drink! I asked TWICE and was ignored TWICE. On my way out i saw a manager who asked how my lunch was. I said "i was never served" and he said, come back for lunch on us after your next treatment - but that was 3:00 and i didn't want lunch so I declined. Instead I said - just add more staff, please. The resort shops are nice, the spa products are nice and the treatments were nice. It's not a bad place - it's just not up to what it could be if renovated and re-tooled. If you want a really good resort experience - go to the Greenbrier instead.

Room Tip: don't bother to pay for the premium rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HersheyResorts, General Manager at The Hotel Hershey, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear IvyMarie,

Thank you for your comments and concern for The Hotel Hershey. Please accept my personal apologies for the disappointments you experienced during your visit and especially the lack of follow up and follow through by our Staff when you made them aware of your concerns.
We take all comments and input very seriously and value every interaction we have with our guests. It is disappointing to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to follow up and learn more about your experiences, both positive & constructive, at The Hotel Hershey. Please feel free to contact me at: 717-533-2171. I look forward to hearing from you & having a dialog.

Cordially,
The General Manager

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We just spent a night at the Hershey Hotel as a last-minute gateway from DC. The resort is really top notch, giving the same type of feel you would get at other resorts of this caliber (like the Homestead or even high-end Disney resorts). Staff is extremely friendly and service-oriented. Facilities are very nice as well. At that time of year the outdoor pool is not open, but the indoor pool was a nice distraction. I played a round of golf at the Spring Creek 9-hole with my 12-yr old son and we had a a great time. It's just challenging enough to try out different clubs without being frustrating. The food is a little pricey, but also very nice with many choices available. The only down side is the very small fitness center, but it was fine for a quick work-out session. The artificial ice rink was surprisingly fun, so bring your skates (you can also rent them there). Chocolate world is less than 5-minutes away. You can also use the (free) hotel's shuttle service to go anywhere around.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Might be a little pricey but there is so much to do on the grounds it's worth it. Well appointed, comfortable rooms and common areas add to the atmosphere. Service is stellar - welcoming, friendly and helpful. Would recommend and definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I went to the Hotel Hershey to celebrate our 11th Anniversary. As soon as you turn onto the drive leading up to the hotel, you feel this is a special place. As others have said, the grounds are meticulously maintained; and the situation of the hotel on a large hill lends to beautiful views from the gorgeous Spanish architecture. We arrived on a Friday afternoon, and immediately toured the grounds on Segways - the perfect way to see the grounds of the hotel on a pleasant fall day. For dinner, we had reservations at the Circular Dining Room. To start, our cocktails were unique and delicious. We each like seafood, so our choices were skewed that direction. My husband ordered a beet salad, and thought it was pretty good. As an appetizer I ordered the cocoa dusted scallops, which were large and cooked to perfection. My husband had the "sustainable fish of the day", which was a steelhead trout cooked to delicate deliciousness with mashes potatoes and green beans. My dinner was equally enjoyable grilled swordfish with butternut squash ravioli. My meal ended with my favorite dessert, Peanut Butter Pie, and was superbly done. My husband chose a pear dessert, which he did not like, but it was finely prepared. Overall, our experience was superb and we would go back for an elegant dinner and stay at the Hotel Hershey. The grounds and the activities make the Hotel a unique gem, especially for a special occasion or a special offer. :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stayed at this property in the middle of September with my sister in law and niece and nephew. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. It is meticulously maintained and flowers are everywhere. The hotel lobby has a handful of nice boutique stores and a coffee shop. I particularly liked the home store. They had some really unique items like Jonathan Adler dog leashes.

RESTAURANTS: The bottom floor had the restaurants and bar. It had a beautiful inside courtyard with Spainish tile and a fountain. The entire floor is so different from the rest of the hotel feel because of this motif. But it is a nice unexpected surprise. The bar was cozy and the bartender was excellent. We ate at the Italian restaurant for dinner. Let's just say this was really the only disappointing part of our stay. The decor reminded me of a Hampton Inn's area where they serve the free breakfast in the morning. This wasn't expected since the rest of the hotel is beautifully decorated. The food was kind of bland and the service wasn't so hot. Plus, it wasn't cheap. We had breakfast in the Circular Dining room, which was much nicer. We had the breakfast buffett which was ok, not bad but not great. Our server was very good though.

BABY SITTER: My sister in law arranged for a sitter while we went to dinner for my 3 yr old nephew and 10 yr old niece. We were both a little nervous but figured they probably would have a pretty good screening process. When the sitter arrived, we instantly felt at ease. She was wonderful. She took the kids for a walk around the hotel and ordered them milk and cookies from room service for a good night snack. She seemed really kind and the kids really liked her. I can't remember her name but she did a great job.

THE ROOM: The room was very nice. It amazed me how the color brown can be made to look so elegant. The bathroom was a bit small but was pretty with brown marble. The room had a deco feel with an ornate mirror and marble top furniture. The fabrics they used were inviting and in very good taste. I'm pretty picky when it comes to hotel room decor and this one was very nice.

This hotel has a lot of charm and history. I would absolutely recommend this hotel and am looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the garden area. There are some views that are not so hot.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family