“Wonderful Milton Hershey”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Wonderful Milton Hershey”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband had a conference at Hotel Hershey so I decided to go along and I am so happy with my decision. The hotel is exactly our taste, elegant, good service and wonderful ambiance. I had called to confirm my reservation ahead of time as I always do before travelling and was assured that the room I reserved was confirmed however upon our arrival I was told that we would not have a One bedroom King Suite or the view as requested and originally reserved. I was shown a number of rooms with two queen beds and no view of the formal gardens and was beginning to get very upset. The person helping us said she was an assistant manager and was doing her best to accomodate but after almost an hour I was about to leave. Finally she said there was something she had found in the tower west wing and although it did not have a view of the gardens she thought we might approve. By now, all we wanted was to get settled and make dinner reservations. The room was again two queen beds but the palor area was a very nice size with an additional full bath so we accepted the room. After uppacking my husband, upon the recommendation of the concierge, made a reservation for the Harvest Room, located just across the back of the hotel. This was a big mistake on our part as this was one of the worst dinner experiences we have ever had. We ordered and waited almost an hour for the food to arrive even though there we only a few other occupied tables. Once my husbands steak did finall arrive it was over done and my plate was unsatifactory as well. We mentioned our discontent to our server, who by the way was very nice, and she put in another order. By now we had been there for an hour and a half and just wanted to leave. Our night ruined, we got our check (the steaks were taken off the bill) and went back to the hotel and ordered rooms service which turned out to be very good. All in all the hotel is lovely, the grounds beautiful and the service is good. But having travelled a great deal we felt the prices for the on sight restaurants to be not worthy of the food and also the fact that most of the quests are travelling with small children. It is not DC or NY.......

Room Tip: Choose a tower room or a room with a view of the formal gardens. Request a high floor or your view m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our second trip to The Hotel Hershey. My husband and I just returned from a 4 day- 3 night vacation. It was a Birthday gift. Upon arrival the front desk host greeted me with a very large Symphony Bar with " Happy Birthday (with my name)" label wrapped around it. Everyone on staff is excellent!! Friendly, courteous, respectful. Always a smile and kind word when they see you. It is such a pleasure to go somewhere where guests are truly treated special! Our room was on the smaller side, yet it was beautiful, tasteful and clean. The grounds are immaculate. You don"t ever need to leave the Hotel. There are shops, a spa ( a must if you are going), fitness room, indoor swimming pool with lifeguard, The Iberian lounge (one of our favorites ) with Live music on Saturday night. There are three restaurants. Each of these restaurants have delicious food. We were NEVER disappointed with the taste or the quality of ingredients. The Circular Dining Room is CLASS all the way. You have two servers. Again everyone from the hosts to the servers constantly wishing me a Happy Birthday. At the end of the meal, right before dessert, The server came ove with 2 chocolate covered strwberries with "Happy Birthday" written on the plate. A small gift from the Chef. Special , Special, Special is how I felt all weekend!!
Then there is the Spa, AAHHHHH! I had a four hour spa experience starting with a Rain shower , a honey milk bath, a cocoa body massage and a cocoa facial. They have many options to choose from massages, facials, baths, sauna, steam room, manicures, pedicures, and a hair salon. The Spa is a must if you are going to this hotel!
The reason I did not give 5stars are twofold. The pillows (there were 6 on the bed) were very flat and no matter what I did I could not get comfortable on them. The second is the bathtub/shower is very narrow. I think if they installed a curved shower rod would give more room in the shower.

Thompsontown
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have ate here often and the food is always the best.
Prices not cheap but not as expensive as you make think, especially lunch.
Great atmosphere and several resturants to chose from.
Overlooking Hershey, you have a great view.
While in Hershey area come and walk this building that Milton Heshey
build years agao but still quite a site to see today.

maryland
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spent two nights here in September for the rv show. Although our room was quite small it was super clean and beautifully appointed. There was not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere from the nightstand to the crystal chandeliers in the hall. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel and the gardens. It was a real pleasure to stay where the guest was top priority. We ate at the harvest room twice and it was really good. The service was excellent everywhere. My only complaint was that we were not told the outdoor pool was closed when we made our reservation. Most hotels we have stayed at that are of this caliber keep the pools open past labor day. The Hershey gardens were beautiful and are complimentary with a hotel stay. We will consider returning again when the outdoor actvities are open. This was a wonderful stay where guests are treated top notch.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the gardens.
Southern Shores, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

I just finished a three day conference held at the Hotel Hershey. I am very familiar with this area, having visited dozens of times over the last 25 years, but this was my first opportunity to stay at the HH. First, everyone should be aware of the historic nature of this hotel, and that the facility is actually part of a National Historic Trust. Having also stayed at the Mohonk Mountain House (also historic) in New Paltz, NY, I was impressed with a clear difference with the HH. Even though the HH is historic, every element, amenity and accessory is impeccably maintained or has been restored or replaced new with a time respective item. Rooms are appointed with new flat screen TVs and wonderful furniture and beds that FIT the historic nature. In short, you will not find a better appointed hotel new or old. The grounds, dining areas and meeting rooms are gorgeous. All food at the conference was up to the same wonderful standard. And lastly, EVERY SINGLE staff member was professional and friendly. Everyone we passed in the hallways or elsewhere all made eye contact and gave a sincere "good morning", etc. as you passed them. Rarely do we have the opportunity to critique a hotel or restaurant and find no area where improvement could not be desired. Well, the Hotel Hershey has set a new benchmark. Congratulations to a truly special place.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mje12518
fredericksburg
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Wonderful service, great accomidations, great atmosphere. Hotel Hershey is high on a hill overlooking Hershey park. the grounds are extremely clean and the flowers, trees and bushes are imaculate. Well worth the price.

Room Tip: Any room with a view is worth it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank biltmore2010
Middle Village, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Hotel Hershey & Chocolate Spa are definite "must-sees" for anyone who enjoys a visit to the spa. The services and staff were amazing. Hotel Hershey itself has a fabulous staff (even greeted you when passing in the hallways), delicious food in the restaurants, and a wonderful story behind it. I highly recommend going during the off season if you're looking for an adults only trip - the hotel was quiet since the park was closed on weekdays when we were there. Definitely still many things to see and do when the crowds are down b/c the park is closed - Hershey Gardens, Chocolate World, the Hershey Story Museum to name a few. The trolley tour from Chocolate World shouldn't be missed, especially if you are interested in learning about how the town came to be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family