“best mexican food in western pa”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Isla

La Isla
Ranked #6 of 63 Restaurants in Hermitage
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hermitage
“best mexican food in western pa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

not sure where to start with la isla.....its a staple of my diet. i love mexican food and this place is top notch from the staff down. all the waiters are really cool....you can order almost anything on the menu and it will be on point...chips and salsa with every meal...be sure to ask for the salsa verde. drinks are good. if you cant decide my top 2 menu items are arroz con pollo with grilled onions & broccoli covered in chalula.....if you are pretty hungry order the pollo al camino (served on a freakin turkey platter its so big).....monday is 75cent tacos...be sure to get mikeys peppers and a side of guacamole it really makes the tacos perfect. not much i can say other than if you havent had it your missing out

Visited December 2011

Mid-West, USA
“So much potential, but major effort needed to be worth a trip back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

Decided to take my father to someplace different in the area. Given the reviews, I thought La Isla would be worth a go. It turned out to be a frustrating experience.

The bad:

La Isla desperately needs a large crew to perform a through cleaning. The menus were not clean and one was filled with spilled, still wet salsa. The booth seats had spilled chip crumbs, which I had to wiped away. We were seated by a window and the sills looked like they had not been wiped down in months. The floor was also dirty.
The service was atrocious. We had to get our own napkins and silverware from another table. Three different waiters served us. Menus, chips, salsa and drinks came quickly, but then the issues began. It took an excessive time for any of the waitstaff to take our dinner order. Then my fathers meal came, along with my wife's side dishes. My wife's main course and my dinner took another ten minutes to arrive. We waited so long for these that my father was half done with his meal and my wife started in on beans, rice and lettuce, rather than see it get cold. During all of this time no staff checked in with us, explained the delay or offered to rectify the problem. In addition, we were never asked about our meal. During this time we saw the waitstaff socializing amongst themselves and joking around, rather than working the restaurant. When we were done eating, the bill was dropped off but again we had to wait excessively. We finally gave up and went to the register, located next to the bar, where we were ignored by all but the bartender for another ten minutes. The bartender spoke with us when I asked to speak with the manager. She did not offer to process our bill. She told us the manager was not on the property.
For perspective, due to business travel, I have historically eaten 300-450 meals a year in restaurants. This is likely the worst service I have experienced in many years and also one of only a select few times I have chosen to leave no tip.

The Good:

The portions are large.
Happy hour beer and drinks are cheap.
My father liked his burrito grande. He asked for no rice, so he received twice the beans.
My wife's Hawaiian fajitas were a unique take and tasty, although the listed crab was in fact surimi. The size was huge. We took home enough to feed three people the next night.
My chili colorado had good flavor, but was skimpy on the beef and the meat was overcooked.
The green salsa, for which you have to ask, is exceptional.

All told, not worth a repeat unless they fix many problems.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Lord_Kevin
Hermitage
“Consistent food, fair price. Nothing fancy, but great to have nearby!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2008

Consistent food, fair price. Nothing fancy, but great to have nearby!

Sharon
“Good time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

Fabulous menu selection. Cheese dip with salsa is addictive. Steak taco salad is great! Good bar services. Staff is very friendly and efficient. Good value for a wonderful dining experience.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good mexican food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

Good mexican food!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to La Isla? Share your experiences!