“Good Could Be Great”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
“Good Could Be Great”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The food here is still good but the restaurant itself needs some cleaning and work. The service runs from very good to lousy depending on the luck of the draw. My wife and I eat here fairly regularly and usually enjoy our meals. Recently they've had some really good appetizer specials that have made the visits worthwhile. A shrimp bowl is a tortilla bowl filled with spicy shrimp in a delicious sauce. There tacos are still very good (need to pay extra for the spicy salsa) and their sizzling fajitas are great.

• Visited December 2013

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“This place used to be great, not so much now.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We were looking forward to going back to Ricardo's @ The Tavern House for real Mexican food. We hadn't been there is 5 or so years. The service was OK. The salsa was too sweet and bland. When our entrees arrived, we all dug in to them. There were 4 of us and no one had a good meal. The refried beans were awful, I don't know what they did to them. The rice was dry and tasteless. My entree of 3 types of tacos was terrible. The beef was so fatty and full of gristle that I had to pull the beef bites apart with my hands, My teeth could not cut the bites! I didn't even want to try the chicken or chirizo taco. My fellow dinners had chimi grandes, and they were bland tasting. The rice and beans on their meals were horrible too.We were all disappointed! Don't go here for good Mexican!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Karen L
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
“Filthy, terrible service and unconcerned by comments”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Years ago, my husband and I actually really enjoyed this place. Over the years, the quality of the food has severely declined while the prices have continued to climb. At one time they made tasty homemade salsa (hot and mild) and yummy nacho chips. Now, both are poor quality out of a container and bag (I've had some better salsa and chips from some containers and bags I buy at the store!). The worst problem, however, is how FILTHY the place is. Last time we were there, I didn't even want to sit down the booths are repulsive (and don't look around at the walls and floor (feet were sticking to the floor tiles). If what you see if dirty, imagine what the kitchen looks like! We also had horrible service - dishes were never cleared, charged for a drink we never received and our server never came back. We had to ask another waitress to get our check and cash us out. I called a few days later and asked for the "manager." I explained to her out entire situation. She was "shocked" that we thought the place was dirty. Really? Seriously, how could anyone think the place is clean that has sat in that front room in the last few years! She also blamed the poor service on the server we had that evening (we did hear him arguing with another waitress when we were there). HELLO, if you are the MANAGER it is YOUR problem. I really don't care if the server walked out. As MANAGER you need to step up and take care of the customers. Their response to my comments were totally unprofessional and they offered to do nothing (not even refund us for the drink we paid fro but NEVER received). Well, they won't see us again and we hope to deter our friends and family from ever eating there again too. The owner needs a customer service seminar and a good housecleaning staff! Good riddens!

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank 45AJS2013
Hellertown, PA
“LOVE IT!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We love the tacos and enchiladas and even the american food served here. We've been coming for many years and are never disappointed. The homemade salsa is fantastic. It's our favorite mexican restaurant in the area. When my sister and her partner come in from Portland, this is one place they always want to eat.

• Visited December 2012
“Big food made with love and served with local attitude. We love this place.”
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I posted pix of 2 meals because only a few restaurants have ever inspired me to do so and Ricardo's is one of them. We love Ricardo's and if you like Mom and Pop independent restaurants with local flavor, you will like this landmark, with its campy decor and (apparently, though never in our experience) surly service. Rick gets better and more adventurous with his cooking every year in our opinions, and this Hellertown Tex-Mex place has everything from simple fare to the scallop special you'll see in my photo. Ricardo's is not light fare, you have to order with that in mind, order less if you don't want leftovers, because they are generous. Ricardo's has a devoted local following of a diverse group of people for a reason, and I am wondering if the bad reviews emerged when they were away or something, because they do not match our experiences. Try it and enjoy! Drinks, by the way, are also generous. And PS is you would never catch me dead eating a cheesesteak enchilada, except here on a blue moon. It's delicious.