“Mediocre At Best”

Cuisines: Mexican
New York
“Mediocre At Best”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Huh? I cannot begin to understand all the positive reviews. This place is a hole-in-the-wall in a dumpy neighborhood. That would be okay if the food was special, but it is far from it. Salsa was bland, guacamole was just okay (again, somewhat bland). I had fajitas -- shrimp were the small, out of the frozen section of your local supermarket kind. The beef was tough and cheap. Soft tortillas were microwaved out of a package. A bowl of vegetable mix to put on the fajitas was good. At least the place is inexpensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Travelwith3kids

Gedera, Israel
“Excellent eatery”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Don't be put off by the area or the simplicity of the property. This is not a place to go our to celebrate, but it is a superb eatery. The food is freshly cooked, all created on site (be prepared to wait). The salsa is fresh, delightful, with a gentle tang. The guacamole is all you could ask for. My wife had a fajita and I a mexican steak. Both were very tasty. The only item i would forgo is the dessert... We ate to our heart's content, but the portions were so generous we had to pack some to take bcd to the motel: a mere $32.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Baruch M
Pennsylvania
“Authentic Mexican & Reasonable Pricing”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Our first visit to El Mariachi provided us with authentic Mexican cuisine in a very simple setting. We were told by the owner that we could bring our own margaritas, but upon entering this very simple establishment, we felt quite uncomfortable drinking alcohol. A small dining area with full view of kitchen and checkout area told us this was not the kind of place to plan a dinner in the future, but the huge selection and friendly service still provided a great experience.
Would not plan a future dinner, but lunch will certainly be something to look forward to!

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank bob o
“Oh...my...god.”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

lol. Everything was excellent. I had a chicken quesadilla and "the big burrito" with steak. I also took home some guacamole and chips. The quesadilla was small but very inexpensive, and very authentic. The burrito was... Big. Lol. But also priced well. It was also fantastic. I don't know what the sauces on top were (green, red, white) but they were great (the red sauce was quite spicy (awesome)). The guac seemed to be homemade and was quite good if a little bland . So..the food was way above average in taste and quality, the prices were very reasonable, the service was great (it seemed to be family owned/operated and they were very friendly), the inside of the store was clean and well maintained, I would only have to say that the location is not so great....but it's Hazelton so that's a given...overall: five stars, no doubt.

P.s. this is not taco bell... If that is the extent of your Mexican cuisine experience, you are in for a surprise...a good one.

3 Thank Dblkrane
“Awesomeness”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I'm a food snob but I love this place this absolutely awesome. Reverting us great

1 Thank joeflanican