“Cheap but good”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Hazleton
Washington DC
“Cheap but good”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed here to avoid Hurricane Irene. Look, this is a cheap 2 star hotel, so I'm not sure what people expect here. But as a 2 star joint, it is fine. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff saw we had 3 kids and lots of luggage and helped us carry it to our upstairs room. The property is older and a bit run down, but the rooms were fine. Beds comfortable and clean. Shower had excellent water pressure. Wifi internet access was free, fast and reliable. Coffee maker in room worked. Not sure what else you want. The property is a bit run-down and older, which means damaged/stained carpets and torn wall paper and stuff. But the place was clean and the rooms are cheap enough, so who cares?

Because of the very unusual inside/outside layout -- with windows that look into the hallway -- we expected it to be noisy as all get out. Especially since the hotel was sold out. But it wasn't. We had a nice, restful stay and moved on.

Nice big swimming pool. But pool area is beat up and kind of dingy. Also, not good for small kids. No real shallow end, and no way to enter except by metal ladder or jumping in.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank andrewevandc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The staff was very accommodating as I arrived late (10 PM) on the Saturday night of Irene. Fortunately I had made my reservation the day before because by the time I arrived, they were completely full with people from NY and NJ who were evacuating from the hurricane. The staff was pleasant and helpful that night and the next morning at the very busy continental breakfast. I was particularly pleased with the noon checkout as I was waiting for the storm to pass as I continued my journey south to DC.

• Stayed August 2011
Chambly, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Smelly and run-downed. This was by far the worst place we stayed in. I am not the complains king here, but this place was terrible. Toe nail clippings by the bed, mildew on the shower curtain, and the SMELL!!! While swimming the the so-called pool, I found a broken glass IN it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lephotog

Travelers are raving about these Hazleton hotels

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Let's start by saying the place had 3 cars in the whole lot when we pulled in.. We then had a room that was facing the pool and we walked threw rly nasty hallways to get there... We open our room and we couldn't breathe it smelled so bad.. Went to take a shower and u have to put the light on a timer or it will shut off.. Max 15 mins. The sink wouldn't turn off it was broke.. The sheets had stains everywhere.. There are 2 outlets in the whole room and you need to have the lights on to use them.. They have a rly nice pool that no one swims in.. Just is so gross.. I would rather sleep in a tent in the woods then there!!!! Do not stay there!!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Chris2053
Batavia, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I booked a 1 night stay that turned into a horrible experience. He charged me for a 2nd night because he claimed someone from my room said we are staying a extra night. He confused it with the room on the floor above us, supposedly so he said. Then he claimed he took off the room charge and when I got home my bank account was charged twice and now they don't believe me and I have to get the police involved. Please consider staying somewhere else with less headaches. The breakfast in the morning was not fresh and cold also.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank middletwofingers
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2011

The first room they gave us the AC was broke, there was no phone in the room and there were cobwebs behind all the furniture. They did move us to another room and the AC did work, but the toilet was broken and wouldnt fill up, the coffee pot was broken and light bulbs were burnt out. It looks like the hotel originally was set up so that the doors to the room were outside, but it seems they did some remodeling and added an extension to the building so that there were hallways. THese hallways were UNBEARABLY hot. THey had ac units in them but it was still over 100 degrees. The carpets were nasty and filthy and there were bugs everywhere! The ice machine was broken so you could not get any ice. They also has people roaming up and down the hallways drinking and yelling and partying till 5am. Apparently there was a wedding reception in the restaurant, but they should have made them stay in the restaurant. The next morning there were beer bottles and trash all over outside. I will NEVER stay here again. It was HORRIBLE!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly0508
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Looking for a 1/2 way point between Boston & Chicago? DON'T stop here!
The hot cheetos for sale on the counter should have tipped us off. If not that then the dead plants in the lobby or the mold on the ceiling or the suspicious brown sticky stuff on the walls of our room. The deserted dinning room still decorated for the last holiday party and the fact that a 120 room hotel only had 4 guests. To its credit, it wasn't anymore gross than the entire depressed town! The only hospital was also empty and for sale. Keep on driving or sleep in your car!

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank my2son
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazleton
Candlewood Suites Hazleton
#2 of 8 in Hazleton
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in West Hazleton

Been to Ramada Hazleton? Share your experiences!