“Person at reception set negative tone”

Residence Inn Hazleton
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hazleton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were driving North from Fort Lauderdale to New York a trip we take twice a year. Prior to Hazelton we were joking with the people at the various Residence Inns that we stayed at who was the friendliest East of the Mississippi. The contest was between Macon and Charlotte thus far. So when we stopped at Hazelton we were positive but tired.
The woman at reception told us our room wasn't ready because the previous night the hotel was sold out. She suggested we go to a restaurant for a half hour to an hour and telephone before returning to assure the room was ready. She noted that we had been there before.
My wife who made the reservation observed that it was past 3pm the check in time and the woman made the same explaination.
The woman made no apology or sign of regret for this inconvienence nor did she call housekeeping to check on the status of the rooms.
She left as her shift had ended and the next woman got our room almost immediately.
The person at reception sets the tone of the hotel and this woman failed miserably.
This is one of the nicest and newest Residence Inns along our route hands down and it is regrettable that this woman receptionist has not learned any customer relations skills.
For physical plant I give this residence inn a 5, for customer relations a 2 because the rest of the staff have been friendly.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JackAugsbury

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Good place to stay if you are on business away from home a lot. Having a small kitchen area and being able to cook for yourself rather than eating in a restaurant is a treat. Its also good to have a separate sitting area rather than having to sit on your bed like so many hotels.
Good parking, good access to interstate, good breakfast. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Lynne A
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I travel on a weekly basis to Hazleton. One of the highlights of going there is the Residence Inn. The staff and all of the amenities are EXTRAORDINARY! They truly make it a home away from home! I have never had a negative experience in the three years of staying there.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I am a guy who travels frequently for business and personal - 80 countries to date and stay at very high end properties, as I am extremely particular about the hotels I stay at. I was excited to find the relatively new Residence Inn in Hazleton, PA. I travel to this site every week for business with Dial Soap. The hotel rooms are studio suites. They architecturally laid out the room with much thought out detail for the extended stay traveler. Also, a great property for a family vacation / getaway. The suite is considerably larger then when compared to the typical hotel room. One section of the space is a full size kitchen (i.e. granite counter tops, fully outfitted) with a dining table. In another area is a workstation. Separate from that is a full living room. Finally tucked into a nook is a very inviting bedroom area. Off from that is the bathroom. The rooms are immaculate. This is not your typical hotel that you walk into and just see a line of beds along the wall. The furnishings are new, the decor is fresh streamlined contemporary - you do feel that you are staying in a much higher calibur pricey hotel. The facility has a full gym, indoor swimming pool, basketball & tennis courts. The staff is really amazing, friendly and most helpful - providing great service for all my needs. They will even do your grocery shopping with no added service fee. Each morning a full breakfast buffet is provided (i.e. eggs, bacon, pastries..... everything you could want). On Tuesday through Thursday a lite dinner is provided. A great hotel with a really very reasonable price for all the amenities provided. Make a reservation, as this Residence Inn will exceed your expectations!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark H
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Having to travel to this area often for work, this hotel is always my number 1 choice. I have yet to have a negative experience and everyone goes out of their way to make me feel welcome. Pricing is definitely on-point for this area. As I said, I travel here often for work, and while some people may not realize it, this area is actually a very busy one due to the many companies located here. In addition, all of the rooms are suites, so the rooms are much larger than the average hotel room. They provide a great breakfast and an evening reception during the week and also have an indoor pool and whirlpool. You definitely get your money's worth here and I would recommend it to anyone travelling to the area.

Room Tip: All rooms are suites, you can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank celtics_girl616
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel more than half a dozen times since it opened about 4 years ago, and I always look forward to my return. The hotel is very clean, nicely furnished and maintained. It has a competent, friendly staff, and provides a quiet night's rest - not something I can say about every Residence Inn. I like the newer RI decor and the fact that, even in a studio, the refrigerators are new enough not to rattle and buzz all night long.

I particularly like having a complimentary pot of coffee delivered to the room in the morning. I've never stayed at another hotel that does this, but how great would it be if more did? You fill out the card in your room indicating a 15-minute window when you'd like your coffee delivered (with milk, if you request it); put the card on your door when you go to sleep; and find your tray outside the door when you open it the next morning. You don't even have to answer a knock on the door - it's like the Coffee Fairy works there.

The only adjacent restaurants are Sonic and Burger King, although many more places to eat are just one exit away on 81. Since the rooms here feature fully-equipped kitchens, I usually bring dinner with me. This just may be my favorite of all the Residence Inns I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank bpym_rocks
Reviewed April 4, 2012

As a frequent guest to the Residence Inn, I must dispute some negative feedback from fcacpa. I have never experienced a linen"shortage" but then again I am very consious of the "green" program and use my towels at least twice? How many times do you use them at your own home? Anyway ,as a frequent shopper as well, I have come into the problem of the rise in price of cotton and the decline of quality. I have laundered brand new linens and two washes found them considerably "worn". So my point is , at what point are they"washed too many times?" If only we could critique others homes! No matter what I LOVE IT !!!!

Room Tip: Top floor high number rooms!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank beachparty1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazleton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hazleton
Hampton Inn Hazleton
Hampton Inn Hazleton
#1 of 8 in Hazleton
Candlewood Suites Hazleton
Red Roof Inn & Suites Hazleton
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 2 in West Hazleton

Been to Residence Inn Hazleton? Share your experiences!