“Excellent Business lunch!”
Review of Settlers Inn

Settlers Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hawley B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Took part in a marketing test group and was amazed by the food and the atmosphere of a truly charming historic inn with arts and crafts touches that are beautifully maintained. The staff was helpful as some of us where disabled and accessibility and comfort of the conference room was excellent. I really am impressed with the staff.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here and at their newer hotel, The Ledges. This is definitely my favorite. I arranged a business planning session here, and the staff, meeting room, rooms and food not be better. If you're from the New York metropolitan area, this is a great place to stay for a quick getaway. For the service and attention to detail, i think the costs are very reasonable. I recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Clare P
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The kids went to Disney with their grandparents. First trip away from Mommy and I knew it would be harder for me then it would be for them. (6 and 9yr old little boys in Disney.. Mommy who?) A relaxing midweek getaway at The Settlers Inn was exactly what we needed. We had 2 nights in room 212. From what I am told this is considered the bridal sweet due to the oversize bathroom. We entered the room to find a beautiful cozy sitting area in front of a fireplace. Perfect for curling up on the couch and relaxing with a book. The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Perfect amount of softness. The bathroom with whirlpool was also very relaxing. The first night we were there we decided to go out to dinner and call it an early night with a bottle of wine and a movie in our room. Breakfast was included in our price and was tasty. The Birdseed bread was great. After a relaxing day in our room we decided to try the 'fireside dining'. Wish we had done this both nights as it was amazing! Not sure what the first course was called, it was the kitchens choice not ours but it was good whatever it was. The 2nd course I had crispy phyllo wrapped goat cheese. It was delicious! So creamy. 3rd course was sauteed Salmon with a vanilla sauce. It was served over a bed of wild rice. It was amazing! So many flavors going on yet at the same time nothing that was too over powering. It had a fresh crisp taste to it. I love every bite. 4th course was the Toffee pudding. I only had a few bites of it since I was so full but that too was very good. Dinner was served at a small table next to the fireplace in the front room. Even though there were other people hanging out having drinks it still had the intimate feel that we were looking for. I am glad that we went midweek b/c I figure on weekends there are a lot more people. Overall I have to say that this was the most relaxing getaway I have had in 10 years and I can not wait to come back.

Room Tip: We loved 212. Huge bathroom, corner room, and not too much noise.
1  Thank Lauren D
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The website is a bit deceiving. This hotel is located on the corner of a very busy street. As loud as the cars are outside there is much more commotion going on inside. Perhaps the rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors are a bit quieter, but I would not recommend either of the two rooms located on the 1st floor. Room 101 shares a very thin wall with an office. Not only can you hear word for word the phone conversations going on in there, the constant slamming of the door of people going in and out feels like it is going on right in your own room. The first night our shower head was completely broken. When we told the front desk the next morning they did replace it with a new one but the water pressure was terrible. We were out all morning on a very cold and rainy day. We got back into our room at 2:30 and housekeeping had still not been in. As our towels were all completely soaked from the showerhead problem my husband had to dry off with a hand towel. It took housekeeping 45 minutes to bring towels. At that point we did not want to leave the room again for them to clean.
I will say the room was very clean and a nice size. It would be convenient for people with pets as it has an exit to the outside. The fireplace in the lobby was beautiful, however, given the bad weather there was not usually a place to sit in front of it with so many people indoors.
Just when I thought things would quiet down for the night, at 10:00 pm the vacuuming began and continued for a good half an hour. Again sounding like it was happening in our room. On the brighter side, the restaurant was excellent -Food, service and atmosphere! I wished I would have known when I made the reservation for dinner on Friday night that there would be a pianist on Saturday night.
I noticed on this site that there are many rave reviews for the Settlers Inn. There are also many great reviews in the journal that was in our room. I also noticed, however, there were a lot of missing pages. Which leads me to believe that we are not the only people with complaints about the noise level of room 101.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

We appreciate your comments and have looked into the noise level issues you spoke about in your review of The Settlers Inn. Managing noise levels in historiic buildings is definintely a challenge and we realize that along with the charm comes the challenge. With your helpful feedback we discovered that the new use of an office next to the room you occupied has likely contributeted to an increase in the door opening and closing. We will put a new quietling closure on that door right away whiich will hopefully be a significant improvement. You are correct that many people have enjoyed the room you occupied and have shared that in our journals. If there are missing pages it is because guests have removed them, not management.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I had a Valentines Day getaway. There is a large fireplace surrounded by chairs and a couch or two. its next to the bar so you can grab a drink and sit by the fire. They have a very nice upscale restaurant and the room we stayed in that night was cozy. It was a nice getaway for a night. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thanks so much for bringing your Valentine to The Settlers Inn. We love to set the tone for romance at the inn.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've been to the Settler's Inn many times over the past few years and have always enjoyed our stay. This was no exception. Every room we've ever been in has been clean and cozy, and the restaurant excellent. The entire staff is very professional and pleasant making for a perfect respite from the real world! We will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden tend to be a bit quieter, but really have never had a bad room.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

One of the most beautiful hotels we've ever visited. Gorgeous and tasteful Arts-and-Crafts decor. Our deluxe Queen room had beautiful furniture, an electric fireplace, NDW a superb bathroom with hardwood floors. The bar is incredibly inviting on a cold day. And the restaurant was simply memorable. The only nit I can pick is that wi-fi was intermittent in room 212 (worked all the time in the bathroom, though). We came on a Sniqueaway, and we'll be back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!