“Come for the room, stay for the food”
Review of Settlers Inn

Settlers Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hawley B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Our first time at the Settlers Inn and could not have been more pleased. It was New Years weekend and although they were extremely busy there was no lack of personal attention to our every need. The entire staff went out of their way to make us welcomed and comfortable. The decorations for the Holiday were absolutly stunning, beautiful but not overdone. The building is a snapshot in time that truly takes one back to the period when the inn was new but still incorporates all the modern facilities. The common area is beautiflly appointed as were the rooms. If there is anything that you need to know about the area or the hotel just ask Debbie. The breakfasts were excellant and the dinners supurb. An extensive wine list is also a plus. Next time we stay we will know to not only choose and book our room early but to be sure and have reservations for dinner in advance as the dinning room is a favorite among the local residence as well. Only one very minor drawback, as in most older building sounds travel. This was magnified by the festivities for New Years but would not give a moments hesitation to our staying again. After everyone retired it was as quiet as could be. In short go and enjoy this absolute gem in Hawley Pa.

Room Tip: Check the online site for a really good look at the rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We spent one night at Settlers Inn for a spontaneous weekend getaway. Upon our evening arrival, we enjoyed the music of a piano player in the dining room. Front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our “Deluxe Room” (#211) was well appointed and very comfortable. Unfortunately, at the time of our visit the fireplace was unavailable for use. The room was located on the second floor, across from the stairwell, but we found our room to be quiet.

The included breakfast was very tasty and with prior notice, the kitchen was able to accommodate our dietary restrictions (vegetarian and vegan). Gardens on the property are nice to meander through and the Potting Shed gift shop had plenty of cute items. The region of with Settlers Inn is located has many quaint towns full of antique shops, good picnic spots, and scenic parks.

Overall, we had a lovely stay at the Settlers Inn and plan to return when we are once again able to employ the “last minute” 10% off promotion.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed here for a second time in August 2011. The grounds of the inn are very nicely done and we were lucky to dine on the deck on the night with a great jazz combo. It is a great garden to take a glass of wine out and enjoy.
Be aware that there is no elavator, luggage to the second floor was a haul. Watch the type of room that you book. Rooms are smaller and the baths are smaller still. If you want more space, book the bigger room.
This is a special place but as we get older we find that we like no stairs and more space. A big improvement would be some type of outdoor pool or hot tub.
They are very helpful and we send a Thanks for their offer of phone help as we has a family emergency.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms with the jetted tubs and extra seating. Watch because some of the tubs are only sing...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Was there in October for a wedding and the Inn was great. The service is very good, your greeted at the door with a smile and they show you to your room. The bar downstairs has a great selection selection of craft beer and the breakfast in the morning was AMAZING. Hawley wouldn't be anyplace I would go visit again, quite remote but the Inn was beatiful and the service was excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Queen room with sitting area with fireplace, but if I was doing it again I would go f...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We had a team business meeting here arranged by our manager - absolutely wonderful property, staff and dining.

the settlers Inn was decorated for the holiday including a beautiful gingerbread house.

When I arrived I was brought up to my room on the 3rd floor (beware - we walked up, not sure if there are accessible rooms elsewhere. My toom had 2 double beds complete with feather beds! Vanity sink was in the bedroom area and my room had a triple sized shower but no bathtub (keep in mind each room is appointed differenty - some of my co-workers had king beds, whirlpool tubs and fireplaces). There were robes in the closet for your use and a nice plate of cheese and crackers waiting for me in the room also.

We had dinner that night at the inn, - the menu featured many "gourmet" type offerings and each of us were very pleased with our meals. a bit pricy, but well worth it. After dinner we retired to the lobby area/bar where a roaring real wood fireplace added to our comfort - it was like you were in a good friends home for the night. there is a fully stocked bar available with a very friendly (and generous pouring) bartender.

I completely recommend the Settlers Inn if you are looking for a great experience in the Poconos!

Room Tip: if you enjoy romance I would ask for a room with one of the fireplaces and since the inn faces Main...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went to the Settlers Inn with a bedandbreakfast.com giftcard and were really happy that we chose this for our mini vacation. We booked room 209 and were very happy with it. The room was smaller than it appeared in the pictures, but it was homey, modern and clean. The bed was ridiculously comfortable - it was a feather bed which I usually don't like b/c I like harder mattresses, but it was the perfect amount of support while also feeling really luxurious with all of the feathers. We are usually early risers but it was hard getting out of that bed in order to get to breakfast before 10. It was also really great to have the small inn feel but get a restaurant and a bar in the lobby. We took advantage of that.

The restaurant was amazing - we had dinner there and loved it. You MUST get the English Toffee pudding. I'm still dreaming about it. Breakfast was really good too.

The staff was really wonderful and accommodating. They were especially patient and understanding with us because we had some snafus with our giftcard. We really appreciated their flexibility. Everyone on staff was nice and seemed happy. The waiters gave us really great recommendations for food, and the bartender was friendly.

There isn't much to do in Hawley, but we did have fun walking around the little town and taking pictures. You almost feel as if you've gone back in time, or to something out of Gilmore Girls. We also walked around Lake Wallenpaupack - there is a really pretty trail there.

There were only a few downsides with this Inn. Hawley is not the most exciting town, and there isn't a lot to do. Thus, I can't imagine spending more than one night at the Settlers Inn. The other downside is that the bathroom was smaller than I expected from the description. It's very pretty but not very practical - nowhere near the sink to put toiletries for instance. Lastly, you could hear the piano music from the restaurant in our room. We didn't mind (and it stops when the restaurant closes, around 10), but if you are sensitive to noise and/or go to bed early this might be a problem for you.

All in all, if you live in driving distance I definitely recommend this for a short romantic escape!

Room Tip: Splurge for that king bed! Also, if you are sensitive to noise be sure to ask in what rooms you can...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed at The Settler's Inn for the first time and overall had a lovely experience with some hiccups. The food was wonderful, especially breakfast (although same sweet potato bacon scramble was sublime one morning and overly greasy and undercooked the next AM). Likewise the staff (housekeeping, bar, waitstaff and front desk) was exceptional except for one front desk woman. One morning the front desk woman acted grumpy and overwhelmed and as if everything was a bother. When I mentioned one reason I wanted to change rooms was because I had badly and painfully knocked into the corner of the clunky wooden platform bed (it's too big for room), her response was "well, that's actually a lot of the rooms" really? Is that the way you answer....strange. The room i moved to had a totally different bed and didn't have anything to bump into, nor did she ask if I was ok, offer ice or say I'm so sorry. It was really a troublesome injury and I had to have someone look at it, it is much more than bruised. She turned non-issues into issues and made it seem as if I was making her job difficult for her. She stood out as being extremely ungracious like a sore thumb amongst the rest of a staff that was so spectacular, i've rarely come across so many people at one establishment who were sweet, thoughtful, interesting and lovely. All other front desk people John especially and a bunch of other great women were beyond accommodating and easy-breezy. I was traveling with my dog and the staff was so welcoming to her, she's well-behaved but they really made her feel loved. I love Settler's. I love the beds (I guess if people don't like soft beds it could be a problem but I love them the way they are). And yes, the town and surrounding area isn't great, but I used it as a destination inn, and was happy to hang out and read, went for a massage and drinks and dinner at the restaurant. I found the dinner a little pricey, but pretty standard for a fine dining restaurant that supports high quality farm-raised, local produce and meats (vs. some places that buy from Costco, etc.). It was pretty empty so I can't speak to the noise level but did experience creaking noises from room above in the room with the hazardous bed, which is not a surprise from an old, historic home, it's not a modern Four Seasons so I see it as a quaint trade-off. I would certainly go back if I ever found myself in the area again and wished I had made the time to check out their wine bar at their other property, Ledges, I bet it's great too!

Room Tip: I found bed in Rm 204 to be a hazard to walk around, not sure if others have, be careful!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank BeagleBaggage
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
#4 of 7 in Hawley
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!