“outstanding one night stay”
Review of Settlers Inn

and 1 more site!
Settlers Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hawley B&B and Inns
seacoast, nh
“outstanding one night stay”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We had a team business meeting here arranged by our manager - absolutely wonderful property, staff and dining.

the settlers Inn was decorated for the holiday including a beautiful gingerbread house.

When I arrived I was brought up to my room on the 3rd floor (beware - we walked up, not sure if there are accessible rooms elsewhere. My toom had 2 double beds complete with feather beds! Vanity sink was in the bedroom area and my room had a triple sized shower but no bathtub (keep in mind each room is appointed differenty - some of my co-workers had king beds, whirlpool tubs and fireplaces). There were robes in the closet for your use and a nice plate of cheese and crackers waiting for me in the room also.

We had dinner that night at the inn, - the menu featured many "gourmet" type offerings and each of us were very pleased with our meals. a bit pricy, but well worth it. After dinner we retired to the lobby area/bar where a roaring real wood fireplace added to our comfort - it was like you were in a good friends home for the night. there is a fully stocked bar available with a very friendly (and generous pouring) bartender.

I completely recommend the Settlers Inn if you are looking for a great experience in the Poconos!

Room Tip: if you enjoy romance I would ask for a room with one of the fireplaces and since the inn faces Main...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We went to the Settlers Inn with a bedandbreakfast.com giftcard and were really happy that we chose this for our mini vacation. We booked room 209 and were very happy with it. The room was smaller than it appeared in the pictures, but it was homey, modern and clean. The bed was ridiculously comfortable - it was a feather bed which I usually don't like b/c I like harder mattresses, but it was the perfect amount of support while also feeling really luxurious with all of the feathers. We are usually early risers but it was hard getting out of that bed in order to get to breakfast before 10. It was also really great to have the small inn feel but get a restaurant and a bar in the lobby. We took advantage of that.

The restaurant was amazing - we had dinner there and loved it. You MUST get the English Toffee pudding. I'm still dreaming about it. Breakfast was really good too.

The staff was really wonderful and accommodating. They were especially patient and understanding with us because we had some snafus with our giftcard. We really appreciated their flexibility. Everyone on staff was nice and seemed happy. The waiters gave us really great recommendations for food, and the bartender was friendly.

There isn't much to do in Hawley, but we did have fun walking around the little town and taking pictures. You almost feel as if you've gone back in time, or to something out of Gilmore Girls. We also walked around Lake Wallenpaupack - there is a really pretty trail there.

There were only a few downsides with this Inn. Hawley is not the most exciting town, and there isn't a lot to do. Thus, I can't imagine spending more than one night at the Settlers Inn. The other downside is that the bathroom was smaller than I expected from the description. It's very pretty but not very practical - nowhere near the sink to put toiletries for instance. Lastly, you could hear the piano music from the restaurant in our room. We didn't mind (and it stops when the restaurant closes, around 10), but if you are sensitive to noise and/or go to bed early this might be a problem for you.

All in all, if you live in driving distance I definitely recommend this for a short romantic escape!

Room Tip: Splurge for that king bed! Also, if you are sensitive to noise be sure to ask in what rooms you can...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed at The Settler's Inn for the first time and overall had a lovely experience with some hiccups. The food was wonderful, especially breakfast (although same sweet potato bacon scramble was sublime one morning and overly greasy and undercooked the next AM). Likewise the staff (housekeeping, bar, waitstaff and front desk) was exceptional except for one front desk woman. One morning the front desk woman acted grumpy and overwhelmed and as if everything was a bother. When I mentioned one reason I wanted to change rooms was because I had badly and painfully knocked into the corner of the clunky wooden platform bed (it's too big for room), her response was "well, that's actually a lot of the rooms" really? Is that the way you answer....strange. The room i moved to had a totally different bed and didn't have anything to bump into, nor did she ask if I was ok, offer ice or say I'm so sorry. It was really a troublesome injury and I had to have someone look at it, it is much more than bruised. She turned non-issues into issues and made it seem as if I was making her job difficult for her. She stood out as being extremely ungracious like a sore thumb amongst the rest of a staff that was so spectacular, i've rarely come across so many people at one establishment who were sweet, thoughtful, interesting and lovely. All other front desk people John especially and a bunch of other great women were beyond accommodating and easy-breezy. I was traveling with my dog and the staff was so welcoming to her, she's well-behaved but they really made her feel loved. I love Settler's. I love the beds (I guess if people don't like soft beds it could be a problem but I love them the way they are). And yes, the town and surrounding area isn't great, but I used it as a destination inn, and was happy to hang out and read, went for a massage and drinks and dinner at the restaurant. I found the dinner a little pricey, but pretty standard for a fine dining restaurant that supports high quality farm-raised, local produce and meats (vs. some places that buy from Costco, etc.). It was pretty empty so I can't speak to the noise level but did experience creaking noises from room above in the room with the hazardous bed, which is not a surprise from an old, historic home, it's not a modern Four Seasons so I see it as a quaint trade-off. I would certainly go back if I ever found myself in the area again and wished I had made the time to check out their wine bar at their other property, Ledges, I bet it's great too!

Room Tip: I found bed in Rm 204 to be a hazard to walk around, not sure if others have, be careful!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank BeagleBaggage
lilbigwlk
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The Genzlingers really know what they are doing! Our stay was absolutely delightful! The bed was comfortable with an enveloping feather bed and personally controlled thermostat, overlooking the garden. The innkeepers were knowledgeable and helpful, helping us to arrange a suitable appointment time at the spa at Woodloch and guiding us towards a manageable hike nearby. Their sister properties- "Cocoon" and "Glass" were also a pleasure to visit as well, with good service and excellent products. I am not a gift shop person, but theirs is very worth the visit- I even bought stuff- something I rarely do! The spa package includes a 2 night stay, one dinner, and 2 breakfasts, a massage and lunch at a nearby spa with use of the facility afterwards. The spa was very clean and well run, massages were fabulous and the facility luxurious. The lunch at Woodloch was delicious in spite of us coming in at the last minute. A wonderful place to visit in the fall! See my restaurant review for a description of the beyond stellar meals at the Settler's Inn!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2011

The reviews for the inn were outstanding so we decided to try it. It was our 20th wedding anniversary and was a much needed getaway. We stayed in Rm 217 and the previous review was right. It was exactly as pictured. It was spacious and impeccably clean. The room furnishings were wonderful and the quality from the towels, toiletries, and linens were top of the line. The bed was amazing. I am definitely going to purchase a feather bed now. I didn't want to get out of bed. Truly the most romantic getaway. The hostess Debbie was amazing and made us feel at home. The breakfast was delicious however dinner was very pricey and overated. We were somewhat disappointed with dinner. Our waitress was very helpful as I am gluten free and she went to great lengths to make sure of all the ingredients were safe for me. To top it off desert was complimentary for our anniversary. I would highly recommend The Settlers Inn.

• Stayed November 2011
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We were enjoying the fall foilage in Oct. After a great stay at Sayre Mansion in Bethlehem Pa, same owners suggested their other B&B in Hawley Pa. So we ventured north to the Settler's Inn. After a phone call and great rate for another last minute deal we were excited to be upgraded to a king size suite! The Inn has a huge welcoming living room with a fireplace and a bar. The friendly staff gave us a warm welcome. The room was amazing with a mile high bed off fluff! Had a great night sleep the bed was so comfy. WIll certainly return again. LouAnn & Lou

Room Tip: Last minute rates are the best!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Recently returned from our second stay at the Settler's Inn. The arts and crafts decor of the inn is absolutely stunning from the minute you enter the lobby, lots of woodwork, tiffany styled lamps, mission furniture and an inviting common area and bar. The staff here is very friendly and accomodating and talk to you like they remember you. We picked room 217 from the website and unlike other reviews found it to be exactly as pictured on the site. It was spacious but cozy with the two oversized chairs and fireplace. We are not into jetted tubs so this room worked well for our needs. The bed is so comfortable with the mattress topper, like sleeping on a marshmallow. It was clean and well appointed and a good value. Our only problem is that the windows do not open, as we like to sleep with them open. The gardens are just beautiful with numerous seating areas to relax. The stream at the edge of the property is a peaceful place to rest. The Potting Shed is just a delight for me tho an expense for my boyfriend! Our last visit we ate on the outside deck but weather this time kept us in the elegant dining room. Dinner was outstanding (tho somewhat pricey) as well as the service and breakfast was the same....both left us full and satisfied.The front porch is a charming retreat full of wicker, tho I agree the inn is situated on a noisy, busy intersection, for the most part this was not an interference for us. From the decor, the service, the comfort, the beauty, the meals, we find this a class inn. Note: Bravo to the owners for participating in the upcoming BnB's for Vets program, offering a free night stay to veterans or active mitilary members. I have two military sons who sacrifice alot for our country and appreciate the support.

Room Tip: Prioritize your needs, rooms offer jetted tubs, fireplaces, large showers, king beds or larger seati...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PennsylvaniaLady2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Greshams Lake View Motel
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Silver Birches Resort
Silver Birches Resort
#4 of 7 in Hawley

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!