“Exceptional retreat and impecable service!”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Exceptional place to get away. Every time we thought "I wish they did...." we found out that they did indeed do "that". Incredible fitness center very modern state-of-the-art equipment. An after dinner drink in the outdoor infinity jacuzzi was also a highlight of the stay (even though it was 15 degrees outside). On top of the incredible ammenities of the resort the staff was what really made it for us. They were all so genuine and caring. Stay here once and I guarantee that you will come back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HolidayInnConcord
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2011

Dear mitch9498,

Thank you for your recent review and your glowing comments! We are committed to taking care of our guests in a genuine and caring fashion, as though we are welcoming you into our home - so your comments about the staff are greatly appreciated. I am glad that you had a chance to enjoy the outdoor jacuzzi in the winter; it is certainly one of the best times of year to be out there! Please do come back and visit when you have the chance.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

We recently returned from a weekend trip to the Lodge at Woodloch. This was our fourth time staying at the property and we were disappointed by the overall decline in quality from our previous trips. In general the service level seems to have really fallen off. The front desk was not helpful bordering on rude. Additionally the spa services were really hit or miss. Some were great, others were terrible. In general I would say go for the Lodge Massage rather than some of the more elaborate treatments and have your treatment in the morning. We booked a number of late afternoon appointments and it seemed like the attention to detail and employee enthusiasm waned later in the day.

The quality of the food has also really taken a turn for the worse. They seem to be going for a quantity over quality philosophy encouraging guests to order multiple appetizers which are then served together on the same plate. Also, I like edamame, but do you really need to serve it at every meal (including edamame soup for lunch)? The food used to be interesting and healthy dishes but it seems like it has now become rubber chicken hotel food. When they bring out a bowl of cold undercooked risotto 90 seconds after you order it you can tell that the kitchen is no longer focused on quality. The overly pushy service in the dining room was rushed and off-putting.

The mix of guests seems to have changed with decline in service. The spa was really crowded to the point that it was loud and busy. The spa seems to be drawing a much larger number of locals and guests from the surrounding lower-rent properties on day passes. Additionally there were a number of large groups of women who could best be described as hopefuls for the cast of the Real Housewives of Scranton. This wouldn't be a problem, except that these guests were generally noisy and inconsiderate of others who were there to relax and enjoy the serenity of the location. After your spa treatments you are deposited in a room called the whisper lounge, where most people sit on comfortable chairs and read a magazine or doze off in front of the fire. The Real Housewives took over the whisper lounge as their own little clubhouse where they talked loudly with no regard for the other guests. Management was nowhere to be found.

In general the physical property is still in great shape, and the location is beautiful, but it is a shame that such a great getaway is so lacking in management attention. In the past, the husband/wife duo who ran the place were always around talking to guests and supervising, but on this trip they were nowhere to be found. We probably would not return unless we heard that the property had returned to a more high end service level.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tzf628

Dear tzf628,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay, as well as for sharing your concerns. We certainly take all guest feedback seriously, and should you wish to reach out to us with more specifics, we will personally address each concern you have raised. Our commitment to the guest experience has not changed since the day we opened, and as managers we are attentive to all of our guests needs. We will be reviewing your comments and working together as a management team to continue providing the best service possible.

Reviewed February 6, 2011

This is a review for the adults only Lodge, not the Pines family resort. I chose this hotel for our recent retreat for a group of eight women. We are mostly high maintenance with high expectations, and I was so relieved that the resort was able to meet and exceed our expectations. We were fortunate our stay was during a low period. The rates were attractive, but more importantly the service was outstanding. From the restaurant to the spa to the room services, everybody was very professional and always available to serve. For example, it took 30 seconds for house keeping to answer a request of mine.

Furthermore, the Spa/Gym facilities rival those of the Peninsula or even come close to those at the Mandarin Oriental, NY. They offer several classes too. The food (all included) was healthy, but delicious, and unlike what I heard was the case in the past, it was very plentiful. I was actually disappointed, as I was hoping to limit my food intake during our stay, but did not have the discipline to keep from eating too much of the yummy meals.

Finally, I understand there are many outdoor activities available at charge, but we didn't not take advantage on this trip. Skiing would be a good option in the winter.

This is one of the best weekend getaways from NYC!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business

Dear Etty11,
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you could find the time to get away with your friends and visit us! Because of our proximity to New York City, we have become very popular for girlfriend getaways such as yours. We pride ourselves on the quality of our facilities and the attentive service we provide; thank you for noticing! We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed 3 nights for our 4th anniversary and had a great time. We felt like the staff cared vs. just doing their jobs. We loved the drum circle, our massage--and most of all our watercolor class. Neither of us have painted, yet each turned out a wintry nature scene in just 2 hrs. Lots of fun. The food was excellent, even better than expected.

It was freezing and snowy out so we didn't go outside once during our stay, but i'd imagine this is a beautiful summer destination when the outdoors are opened up. We stayed for 3 nights, but felt like 2 would have been enough as we had covered all the ground we wanted in that time. Perhaps, since we were indoors the whole time. It's not a huge place to explore.

We didn't feel the need to walk around in our robes but many people did--even dined in them--and that could be considered a convenient perk. You really can leave your dressy clothes at home. I brought a sweaterdress and boots to dine in but never even pulled it out of the bag. We wore jeans the whole time.

I would recommend making spa appt.s in advance as we could not squeeze in even on a Monday--it was full. I did talk to a local in the spa who just came for the services but wasn't staying at the resort. We had made one appt. in advance and the services were great. The spa facilities were nice too--i loved the eucalyptus steam room and the waterfall hot tubs indoors and out.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I just got back from a two night stay at Woodloch and if I could sum up our experience in one word it would be DELICIOUS! We went for a quick mini-vacation before our second child is born. The spa delivered everything we expected and more. The hotel is gorgeous, with beautiful common spaces, and very comfortable and luxurious rooms. The food is wonderful, tasty, and healthy with lots of variety to choose from. The spa is enormous, very clean, and modern. Our spa treatments were fantastic and some of the best ones we've ever had.

I've been to Canyon Ranch in Lenox several times, and Woodloch is very close by comparison. Woodloch doesn't offer as many classes (yoga, aerobic, etc.) as Canyon Ranch, but the food, accommodation, and spa services are very similar, if not surpass the experience you'll have in Lenox and at about half the cost. The area is very rural and there are tons of outdoor activities to choose from.

One of the best mini-vacations we've ever had and we'll certainly go back.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2011

Dear ramccafferty,
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay with us, and we are glad that The Lodge at Woodloch could be a welcome respite prior to the birth of your second child. We have been getting rave reviews about our food and accommodations - nice to hear that you are in agreement! We are often compared to Canyon Ranch. Because they have a stellar reputation in the industry, it is great to hear positive feedback from someone that has visited both properties. Our rates are very competitive these days, and from the sound of it you felt as though there was significant value. We would love to welcome you back in the near future!
The Lodge at Woodloch

Reviewed January 4, 2011

My husband and I went to The Lodge for 3 nights between Christmas and New Years. I had heard many nice things about the hotel, but was more than pleasantly surprised with the ambiance, the food, the quality of the instruction and the effect the stay had on us during this hectic time of year. We didn't want to fly anywhere and we didn't want to deal with a lot of crowds or young families. The Lodge clientele and staff were uniformly warm and low key in a good way. We have been to Canyon Ranch and other spa vacations, but preferred the lower key environment at the Lodge. The rooms were newer, cleaner and nicer than the Ranch. The food was far superior and they have a lovely bar with great selection of wines to accompany your meals. We had excellent massages and other services, participated in a variety of classes which were mostly at an intermediate level, and rested a lot. I couldn't get over how quiet it was in the rooms, yet the hotel was at full occupancy. Beautiful walking trails, a lake and possibility of golf in other seasons make this a great place to come with friends, family or other couples. We will return!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay here with us at The Lodge at Woodloch. We are glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations with regard to the ambiance, cuisine and classes! We pride ourselves on providing exceptional service while still making you feel welcome and comfortable, so thank you for noticing. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2011

Spent 2 nights here in early December with a girlfriend. I was expecting something nice but not amazing - but I was wrong - the place was very luxurious! Here's a recap:
- The rooms:
The rooms were a good size, my friend and I each had a queen size bed that was very soft and have a comfy and warm down comforter. Our room overlooked the lake and had a balcony, although it was pretty cold so we didn't use it. The bathroom was nicely appointed, with 2 sinks and a separate closet for the toilet. There was only a shower, not a tub, which didn't bother me since we spent a lot of time in the various hot tubs in the spa, and we both tended to shower in the spa itself, but if people are looking for a tub in the bathroom don't expect one. The rooms were serviced twice daily and at turndown they left the most amazing chocolate mints - I tried to buy them in the gift shop but they didn't sell them!
The Food
- I was expecting boring healthy spa food and was pleasantly surprised at how tasty the food was. I don't think the food was especially high-calorie, but I don't think it was especially healthy either - they did not list the nutrition info on the menus like I've seen at other spas. the portions are a little on the small side but you could order as much food as you wanted so that wasn't a problem. If you are looking for "diet" food there are definitely fewer options but the staff seems very accommodating.
The Spa
- the spa was AMAZING - I loved the sauna, steamroom, hot tubs (there were indoor and outdoor hot tubs), and the indoor tubs were part of this multi-level "aqua garden", complete with waterfalls. It was very beautiful and relaxing. I LOVED the outdoor hot tub especially. Both my friend and I had a massage which was great, and loved relaxing in the "whisper lounge" afterwards. I wished I had done more treatments but I was trying to watch my wallet. Next time I guess!
The gym/activities
- the gym itself is really nice, all modern machines. It was never crowded the few times I went in there.
- The classes I took were pretty good - I took an Aqua aerobics class that I expected to be fairly easy, and it was extremely challenging! Boy I was sore the next day. I also took a Zumba class which was fun.
- There are several non-athletic classes offered as well - like wine tasting, cooking demo, and watercolors. My friend and I both took the watercolor class, and the teacher (while VERY chatty) was really good - we were both impressed by how good our creations turned out.

All in all, it was a great 2 days/2 nights. Next time I will stay one more night, I think 3 nights would be best - it felt like we had to leave right when we got there. Also, we stayed on a Thursday and Friday night - I noticed it was getting a lot busier on Saturday and was glad we came and left when we did - I would definitely recommend this place mid-week as it's MUCH less crowded. Also, while we saw lots of couples, I know my husband would get bored here since he's not into spa stuff - I think this is a great girls' weekend getaway. We saw a bachelorette party checking in when we left which I think is a great idea.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!