“Amazing Destination Spa Trip”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
“Amazing Destination Spa Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Lodge at Woodloch at the end of October (Friday and Saturday nights) for a much-needed girl’s spa getaway.

Our drive to Woodloch truly beautiful from our Philadelphia suburb area (autumn leaves and the lake), as well as the excitement of arriving and having the weekend be just about us and not taking care of husbands, kids, and other family issues.

We were on the all-inclusive spa package, and we were told that all gratuities were included, as well as our two spa treatments (up to $120 value). Prior to arrival, we booked Lodge Massages for our two treatments. After checking in with the gatehouse, we pulled up to the main entrance, where three men came out to collect our bags and take the car for valet parking. Attempts at tipping them were declined and we were reminded that this was an all-inclusive stay and no tipping would be accepted. With each step, I felt layers of stress pulling away from my body and knew that our weekend would be full of pampering, great girl chats, and relaxation. It was truly two of the best days of my life.

I am sorry I cannot remember everyone’s names, but after being shown the Chakra bowls in the lobby and feeling the vibrations send relaxation through our very beings, we were taken to the check-in counter, where our folios were waiting for us – obviously the gatekeeper had radioed ahead that we had arrived. We were then shown to our room – when we indicated we wished for a higher floor, the reservationist showed us three rooms to choose from and was very patient and kind with us. We ended up keeping the first room, and although we initially thought the first floor would not have a good view, we were wrong, and that location was so perfect, as it was easy to get everywhere from our room.

The tour of the facility and grounds found us not knowing what to do first. We unpacked, settled in, got into our robes and headed to the spa for our first massage treatment. We arrived early, as encouraged, so we could enjoy the water features, and we really did enjoy them. The outside spa is the best, with a beautiful view of the trees and lake, and it was chilly enough that the spa felt amazing. That was the best water temperature (in my opinion) of all the spas, but they were all really wonderful. We spent a lot of time at the outside spa and totally relaxed there.

My first massage was with Nichole, and not only did she exude a warmth and kindness, the massage was amazing. I almost wanted to ask for her for my massage on the last day, but I thought I should try someone else. As luck had it, my friend had Nichole on our second round and also liked her massage very much. I cannot remember the person that I had the second time – it didn’t start out great for me, but it definitely improved as the hour progressed. One thing that I think is important with massages is that touch is always maintained, and this person would just “let go”, which makes you lose your mind/body/soul connection during a massage. There were two or three times when I wondered if she had left the room….but towards the end, I felt it improved. There was also a request by me to skip the arms and legs and stay on the back, shoulders, and head, but she told me she knew what she was doing and that I should trust her. The array of choices for massage oil, as well as the nice warming blanket under the massage table and the relaxing music in the room made for a nice massage. After our massages, we returned to the water features and really enjoyed it.

We also went to the cooking demonstration, which was interesting, and we found ourselves wishing it had been a little more interactive as opposed to just instructional, but it was fun nonetheless. Yoga class was good, but we were the only two in the class. The instructor was very helpful with us. I enjoyed the aqua boot camp class and hiking, although it was fairly cold the weekend we were there. I think going a little earlier in the month of October would have been perfect so we could have enjoyed our balcony and more walks.

The entire spa – the rooms, the restaurant “Tree”, the spa, common areas, and amenities were just wonderful. We found the food to be outstanding – all meals were delightful, and although we did not opt to dine in our robes for the most part, it was relaxing even knowing that was an option (not at dinner though!). At dinner, some people were dressed up a bit more, but people were also in jeans, as were we. For me, this trip was all about comfort (and joy). I brought only comfortable clothing, very little make-up, and achieved my goal of having a very zen weekend!

The bedding was super comfortable, all towels were fluffy, and the staff in the ladie’s area (changing, lockers, showers) were amazing….if you throw something in the trash, it is emptied. I was using the water extractor to get the water out of my swimsuit, and there was Kate handing me a plastic bag for my swimsuit. She was also so sweet and helpful, as were all of the staff in the spa area.

The whisper lounge was a favorite place to read and just meditate. We sat at the fire circle on the first night and had hoped to meet more people. We met one couple and enjoyed chatting with them. We had a glass of wine sitting at the fire circle, and it was a chilly night but warm by the fire.

Finally, I want to say how amazing the dining staff were, especially the hostess, Robin, who felt more like a friend. She greeting us with a smile, gave us ideas on things to do, arranged a trip to the show at the sister resort, which her kids are in and we enjoyed thoroughly. When we left, we hugged her goodbye – what a wonderful and warm woman. Our dinners were great and service perfect. We loved the breakfast and lunch buffet – all food felt so fresh and healthy.

There were way more couples/men there then I was expecting. The last time I went to a destination spa, there were maybe 2 men, but this spa had a lot of couples there, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.

I cannot wait to go back to the Lodge at Woodloch. It is not a cheap weekend, but we are worth it! Thanks to all the wonderful staff, including all the behind the scenes folks that make it work so well. You are all appreciated.

Donna and Sue

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank TakeMeWithYou_7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

My friend and I choose a highly rated spa each year and visit for a weekend. Overall, I would rate the Lodge as 3.5 stars. If you are only going for the "spa" experience, choose another spa. (If you like the rustic nature of this resort, try the Ritz-Carlton Reynolds Plantation. It's absolutely fabulous.) This resort is best enjoyed if you are going for the "wellness" aspect. The weekend we were there, the spa was overcrowded due to emailed "$30 off coupons" to day spa users. The Spa's Whisper Lounge was so loud and crowded, we left. The Whisper Lounge itself would be a wonderful retreat if it weren't packed to capacity. Also, the blankets are like gauze in the lounge...very strange. The food was hit or miss. The exercise classes were fun. We did not go to any demostrations. The resort staff are proned to make inappropriate comments (eg the bellboy asking me where I wanted my "junk"?) When you are paying top dollar to stay here, you expect more. This place has potential, but is defintely not worth the price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank clarksmall1
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2010

The Lodge at Woodloch is absolutely amazing in every way. If you think you have seen the best of spas it isn't true until you have been here. The owners have it right; staff is so professional, friendly without being intrusive, setting is magnificent, the food is delicious.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathypeter
new jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

Convenient location for those living in the tri-state area. Spa facilities were beautiful and clean. Although the spa did not offer as many classes as Canyon Ranch, there were enough to choose from. The food was okay. It was not inexpensive as we all had our own rooms and treatments were not included.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2010

Went with a group of 11 women, we had a blast! The spa treatments were really wonderful. I loved the facial and the Lodge massage. The outdoor jacuzzi was one of my favorite places to relax, as well as the eucalyptus steam room. Lemon & orange ice water are available 24/7 as well as high quality teas & trail mix. There were always fresh towels and plush, white bath robes. Very pampering. We all loved the food; it was delicious and rather healthy, in particular the quinoa & seaweed salad was a big hit in my crowd. Desserts were small portions (perfect size!) and all good. Entrees were delicious, almost everything was perfect. Cookies & tiny appetizers were put out each night before dinner by the teas, lovely to have a little snack before getting ready for dinner. Staff were all very nice, not too crazy about the front desk older women, as one in particular seemed very confused. There are various packages offered here, so maybe it simply is confusing dealing with that. Rooms were clean, spacious, comfortable beds and high thread count linens (very important!!!). Bathrooms have marble showers, double sink vanity and an enclosed toilet. All rooms have balconies, all nice views of the friendly deer and chipmunks and lake with kayaks. There is a lot to do here, even though we stayed 3 nights and never left the resort. Really enjoyed the yoga classes, Maryanne is a sweetheart. She had to juggle different levels of yoga students, which we all found quite impressive. My friends loved the zumba class and we also enjoyed the aqua boot camp & fitness (it's way harder than you would think - great workout!). The indoor pool is huge with a waterfall wall in the same high ceilinged area with 2 indoor jacuzzis. Another little private escape area, is the screened-in room adjacent to the dry sauna with lounging beds and the smell of woodfire. Every night, we would all sit outside by the outdoor fire pit and have drinks served to us. Even though we had a large group and there were other guests staying at the resort, it never felt crowded or rushed. Many times I had the pool, jacuzzis & saunas all to myself. They've created a solitude and peaceful environment that's luxurious and pampering at a very reasonable price. Would love to return soon, definitely would bring my husband! If you're looking to stay here, don't hesitate. It's really nice. And the boutique has great yoga clothing at normal prices. Our stay was a memorable experience all of the 11 women, loved it. That in itself speaks volumes. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Scubapups
Haverford, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

Went with my recently widowed sister-in-law and my other sister-in-law and dear friend as a get-away for our widowed sister. It was the perfect place to take my widowed sister to rejuvenate!

Checked into this lovely spa hotel and greeted by all the right things. Wonderful spa smells and lunch smells as we walked in the front door. Crystal chakra bowls to ring in the front lobby are fun. Easy check-in. All gratuities already included - no need to tip anyone which is such a pleasure to have that already taken care of. Food was delicious - you can order off the menu AND go to the buffet. You're encouraged to wear your bathrobe to breakfast and lunch.

Also, appreciated that to use the spa, you didn't have to check-in or give your room-key/ license, etc. to gain access or a robe. Spa facility is top-notch and gorgeous!

Perhaps the fitness classes could have been more rounded out, but overall they were great. This spa was relaxing and low key, not nearly as intense as some other spas I have visited (like Canyon Ranch in the Berkshires). Will definitely go back one day.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank pineapplegirl
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2010

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place! It's my second visit as a lone traveler in 2 years and I plan to go back at least once a year from now on. The ambiance is unbelievably soothing, the staff is stellar, the rooms are pristine and luxurious, the spa treatments are top notch and the food is very good (not excellent, I'll admit). The reviewers that criticize portions are out of their minds. Yes, they give you small-ish amounts on some menu items but you can ALWAYS get AS MUCH as you want --order 2 portions if you so wish. Also, at breakfast and lunch, there's a buffet so you can have the buffet food AND order from the menu -- no additional charge! If you're used to IHOP or some such place, then you MAY be disappointed that there isn't a big mound of tasteless slop on your plate. The food is organic and TASTES LIKE REAL FOOD...no need to overeat just to find some satisfaction in the food. BTW, one night I ordered 3 of the 4 desserts offered. This is common - no need to feel self-conscious.
The weekend I went, there was a very popular speaker there so the place was full. There was NEVER a feeling of being cramped. As another reviewer said, right before a spa treatment, you may have to wait in a room with more than just a few people but that's it! You can always find a quiet nook that you can have to yourself.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank kate323
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,539 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!