“wonderful, relaxing retreat...but there is some room for improvement”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Yardley, PA
“wonderful, relaxing retreat...but there is some room for improvement”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Excellent visit here. Would totally come again. Here are some thoughts and comments that may assist you with your travels.

Internet access in my room was wireless. Speed was fine during the day. But, in the evening, after 5pm or so, it was too slow, so slow it was essentially useless. The hotel does have a small desk with a laptop right in the lobby. I often saw a guest sitting there using it.

The fitness center is top notch. Totally clean, well-staffed, awesome new machines…and a LOT of them. Lots of other work-out stuff too. Elastic bands, steps, mats, balls and more. Attendant said if I needed something I didn’t see, he could get it for me out of their closet. Very impressed with the gym.

Exercise classes were great, if you were a beginner in that area. If you had some experience, I think they were too simple. I think the teachers could have done a better job of tailoring the class more toward their students. The resort was nearly empty when I was there (20 or so guests is what I heard from a staff member.) I was the only one in some classes…or just 2-3 people in other classes. The staff seemed to do the same stuff they always do, and didn’t ask if the class had previous experience or thoughts on their class. One instructor read from a paper for the entire yoga class.

The front desk, the bell hops, and the dining room staff all try to learn the guests’ names. This is really nice and welcoming. But the spa and fitness staff doesn’t try at all. I only had 1-2 people in many of my classes, and they didn’t even make an effort to offer encouragement or correction by name. The exception to that is MaryAnn (fitness) and John (art). They were full of energy and passion about their subject, and they often checked in on people and used their name. No one else made that effort, in my experience. It’s not that much of a complaint, but given how attentive and personal the service is at the other parts of the hotel, I found it interesting that it didn’t extend to the spa and fitness classes.

The Retreat areas (the locker rooms) are wonderful. Stocked with all the supplies you could need….deodorant, razors, shampoo, curling iron, etc. And, they are really clean. Even the trash gets emptied many times in an hour. I threw a towel in or some trash away, and 5 minutes later, I noticed it was gone.

You really don’t need to pack much. People wear their spa-provided robes and shoes to the dining room. It’s truly a treat. Work-out clothes and a swimsuit for the day time. Casual for the night (simple dresses or jeans are acceptable….most were a little dressier than that in the dining room…maybe kakis and a collared shirt)

I didn’t like that there were no lounge chairs around the pool. That just seems odd to me. You can’t sit and read poolside. There are a few benches, but that’s it. It’s obvious by design. They don’t want you hanging out and relaxing on the pool deck.

Food is awesome. Best thing of the whole place by far. You can’t even tell that it’s healthy. There is no sacrifice in texture or flavor to the food. The portions are small, but there are so many courses and a small, open buffet that you won’t leave hungry. For example, the cookies were the size of a half-dollar, but they were on the buffet. You could take 12 if you wanted to. They don’t serve coke soda. They serve diet coke, ginger ale, and one raspberry gourmet soda. Wine list is pricey. One glass came to $17. They have some snacks sitting around, and they are honestly a bit pitiful. Small fresh fruit and a bowl of nuts. I never saw anyone eating those things. They honestly didn’t look that appetizing. I would have liked them to beef up their snacks a bit…maybe some cookies or yogurts or something else.

Sleeping rooms are great. Comfortable and clean. We really weren’t in our room very much. There are so many areas around the facility to relax, that hanging in the room is not as fulfilling, as relaxing in one of their public areas.

When you check in, they give you a tote bag and a water bottle. You’ll use those a lot.

The spa treatments were just adequate. They weren’t amazing. Not terrible either. But compared to the food and some other “awesome” things about this spa, I thought it was worth mentioning. One of my technicians seemed rushed and clearly didn’t like answering any questions I had. She wasn’t rude, but she didn’t make me feel comfortable asking more questions. They were very prompt in starting a service and ending a service. Gratuity on spa treatments is automatically added in. I often wondered about that, because I felt like the technician had no incentive to really treat me well or help me in an extra way. He/she was getting the same tip no matter what.

The hotel gift shop is full of stuff you may forget. The staff in the shop is also well-trained and very helpful and friendly.

There’s a firepit at night. Many guests went there and chatted with each other after dinner. It’s surrounded by benches and rocking chairs. Very nice extra touch.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience. For the money we paid, I would love to say it was perfect, but I can't. They are however close. I would definitely go back again. I would just hope they take guest feedback to heart and make a few tweaks.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Rebecca30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hotel Fauchere
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,557 reviews
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!