“The best kept secret”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
New York City, New York
“The best kept secret”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

If you are looking for a retreat that offers every amenity for newly weds, girls weekend, couples, handicapped, elderly, kosher...you've found your place. They have everything for everyone, between art classes (drawing, watercolor) to cooking demos, yoga on the wall to horseback riding, or just plain fine dining and botany walks with nature by the bog (lake). It was amazing, an all inclusive retreat, with a spa to boot..which offers every amenity. Important to book ahead though as its not going to be a secret for much longer #6 in the spa world.. is underrated..Must book activities in advance to guarantee your spot. I wish I could have stayed longer and I was there for four days enjoying the fine dining, spa treatments, sports, aqua toning class and much much more. Definitely serene and worth the expense. Free shuttle service if you live in the city and need to mass transit there..

Room Tip: Book ahead and look at the specials. There are also day specials if you have kids and want to stay...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elysa D
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Elysa D- We are so happy you had such a memorable stay, and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. As you mentioned, we are proud to offer a complimentary pick up in town for those who choose to take the bus from New York City- leave the stress of driving at home! Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
River Vale, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just got back from 3 nights at Woodloch and was sad to leave. The room was great, very comfortable and quiet. The classes were really good, great instructors and a nice variety, something for everyone. All kinds of fun things I've never done before. I recommend Drums Alive and the BOSU class and the Great Wall of Yoga if you're adventurous. I got a Nirvana Pedi from Christine and she was very nice and did a great job. I also did the Unbridled Bliss program, which is like a Horse Whisperer experience and it was awesome. All the food was great, but I would've liked to have known the calorie counts and other counts as well (sugar, fiber, etc.) Portions are not huge, but it's just as well because at lunch and breakfast there's a buffet besides a menu to pick from (and you can do both). My only small complaints are that the WiFi was spotty and when I turned off WiFi it was worse (had to Facebook update!!) and where I had my pedi, it was very noisy, for the price I expected a separate "quiet room" for it, but the salon was around the corner and I had to listen to the hairdryer and other people talking.
One of the nice things was, after asking me first, they put me at a table with 3 other solo women travelers and we had so much fun we ate together again the next night as well.

Call ahead and ask about classes, some of the descriptions aren't that accurate. The horse program; you have to wear shoes and clothes you don't mind getting dirty and horsey smelling, you will be in the stall and then in the ring with the horse!
It was one of the best vacations I've ever taken.

Room Tip: Forest view is better of course. I was 119 and sometimes smelled the food from the restaurant.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LBW16
LBW16- Thank you for your wonderful review. We are very excited to have rolled out some of the new classes you mentioned, as well as our new Yoga Wall, which is a must-try! The Unbridled Bliss is such a wonderful experience, and adds a different element to a spa getaway. Thank you for choosing The Lodge, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I loved our recent stay at the Lodge. All of the staff was very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Food was fabulous and even though it rained the whole time we were there, we still had plenty to keep us busy inside. Loved it! Can't wait to go back

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GinaF743- Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully your next visit will bring sunny skies! Thank you for staying with us!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2013

After a long 4+ hour drive from the Philadelphia area I arrived at the Lodge literally in the middle of nowhere. From the valets at the door to the receptionist who took me to my room and a complete tour the service here has been spectacular. Everyone is friendly, attentive to your needs and the instructors are top notch.Many of the fitness classes I went to ,I was the only participant ,so it was like a personal trainer. The food looked incredible but since I was 3 days into a 30 day juice diet the kitchen made me some of the best juices I've had in three years of juicing. The facility is sleek, upscale, that new age zen but not pretentious . I tried to cram as many classes as possible into each of my 5 days here but I would have been comfortable just snuggling with a book in the softest plush white robes in one of the many peaceful areas. The activities ranged from 2 hour hikes at the Delaware River Gap to kayaking on the peaceful lake on site to a full and quite impressive gym. The spa treatments were some of the best I've encountered in the States. Everything is included except spa treatments and alcohol . I though it was a bargain. I couldn't recommend this destination higher.

Room Tip: If a bath tub is important to you make sure you reserve a room type that offers one. I loved my bath...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 159madison
159Madison- Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review! We are delighted that you had such an amazing time here at The Lodge, and were able to join in on so many classes and outdoor adventures. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Stamford, CT
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I met a dear friend for five nights of pampering, spa and exercise. The Lodge was ALMOST perfect. Spa services are fabulous (Get the herbal restorative massage... it was amazing), food is varied and good, exercise classes were interesting and challenging. I especially liked yoga on the wall, all the water classes and drumming. Kayaking on the pond was so relaxing and pretty. And the staff is simply lovely -- friendly and fun. Two very minor complaints: housekeeping was remarkably poor for a place like the Lodge. They left plates with crumbs of food on them for days, didn't remove dirty cups. And the desserts were disappointing. Dessert at lunch was a cookie and a small pot of creamy stuff that was pretty tasteless. Dinner dessert (Look, I worked out pretty hard and I wanted dessert) didn't change at all. Every day it was the same, and they even ran out of stuff. Which was interesting, cuz the breads, especially at breakfast, were really good. OK, these are minor complaints, but they were striking since the rest of the experience was so great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Betsyknit- Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay! We will certainly pass along your comments to our Housekeeping team, and we sincerely apologize for any oversight that occurred while you were here. We will also let our Food and Beverage staff know of your disappointment in the dessert- which certainly should be a lovely treat after a day of working out! Thank you for staying with us!
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My new wife and I arrived at the Lodge the day after our wedding to celebrate our mini-moon (an abbreviated honeymoon since we could only take a few days off of work following the wedding).

The service was top-notch right from the start with our car unpacked and taken out of hands. At check-in we were given a full tour. And shortly after we got to our room, a staff member brought us chocolate covered strawberries, sparkling wine, and a lovely congratulatory note on our marriage.

The staff was endlessly accommodating. I cannot say enough good things. Here are some examples:
- "Can we bring the sparkling wine you gave us to the restaurant to have with dinner?" "Of course!" (we had let the bottle get warm, so they replaced it with a cold one from the fridge.
- I got heartburn the first night... "Would you like a staff member to bring antacid to your room? No charge of course".
- "We're nearly late for our class, so we'll have to skip dessert"..."How about I have a few desserts wrapped up and sent to your room?"
- "I forgot sunscreen and bug spray"... "We have individual-use packets at the front desk for you"
- "I left my suit-bag in the car"..."We'll have it brought right up"
- "My parents gave us a gift certificate, can we apply it to our room charge even though we already paid for it?"..."Sure, we will refund your credit card and apply the gift card"

Other things I loved:
- The grounds are gorgeous.
- There are always little teas and drinks and snacks floating around that are so fresh and delicious.
- The classes are taught by very experienced professionals but no one took themselves too seriously. The focus was on immersion and enjoyment of the experience.
- The fire put outside was lovely and there were many nice people to chat with.
- A rainstorm came through one afternoon and it was amazing to watch from our covered terrace.

We did a lot of eating and relaxing so I assume other guests would have more to say about the spa and fitness classes. Here's what we did:
- Terrariums - fun class where you get to take home your finished product
- Watercolor Painting - really interesting instructor who made painting and held our hands through the whole thing, all while telling us interesting stories from his biker-gang past. We took our paintings home too and might get them framed.
- Power Napping - basically just a class where the instructor talks you to sleep (this one was a little strange).
- Couples Massage - Lovely, as expected.

And that's it! We were supposed to stay three nights but my wife was feeling sick so we decided to leave a day early. The Lodge had no problem refunding us for the last night. We had to leave the room by noon but they had no problem with us staying and using the spa facilities and eating breakfast AND lunch at the restaurant (which is all included).

I also liked that 18% gratuity was included in our original charge so there was never the awkwardness of tipping (though we did tip a couple of times anyway bc we wanted to).

I still feel the relaxing effects of the Lodge a week later. All I need to do is think back on what it felt like being there and I immediately calm down. I recommend the Lodge to couples, mother/daughters, adult families, or close friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andy J- Congratulations once again to you and your wife on your marriage! It was such a pleasure to have you experience the Lodge during this special time. We are thrilled that you were able to take advantage of so many activities during your time here, and we would love the chance to welcome you back soon! Best Wishes!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. This lodge should cost more than I paid. I was treated so politely and nice by the front desk employees that I would come here again if I am in this area. Beautiful area to hike and walk. I felt like I was in my second honeymoon with my wife.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Grandpa6444- Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We will certainly pass along your compliments to our Front Desk staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Ledges Hotel
Ledges Hotel
#3 of 7 in Hawley

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!