“Great Time”

The Lodge at Woodloch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Hawley
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I arrived Sunday and from the valet to front desk was impressed by the friendliness and welcome. The food is delicious and at least to me plentiful. No complaints. Wine, beer and cocktails. A spa with all the amenities. Classes all the time and something for everyone. Really enjoyed classes with Maryann who had modifications for all levels and Paula who kept us going. The Lodge is wonderful. Beautiful views from the windows as you work out.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank VickieW1694

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I had been considering a pre-spring trip since last spring. Thoughts of a Las Vegas getaway or a long weekend in Florida quickly faded when we realized that we had little desire flying. Our goal was relaxation. Our first thought was Mirbeau in Skaneatles, NY which we knew to be of superb quality. But the thought of Skaneatles in the snow (outside of the Christmas season) caused us to expand our search. The Lodge at Woodloch came well reviewed by two friends of ours whose taste we trusted. Where was this place? Hawley, Pennsylvania.

Wait, Hawley? having grown up in Wilkes-Barre, I knew Hawley well. A small Pennsylvania town like most others. How is it I was unaware of a quality destination resort so near my childhood home?

For starters, the Lodge at Woodloch is newish. The staff tell me that it only goes back to 2006 or 2007, well after I had moved out of Pennsylvania. Second, the signage only begins as you leave the picturesque town of Hawley into the unknown and oft scary hills of Pennsylvania.

Upon arriving at Woodloch, you are greeted by a small guardshack on a road which disappears behind the beautiful woods. Upon pulling up to the front door, your vehicle is quickly surrounded by multiple attendants who open your doors and take charge of your vehicle and luggage. It may sound like standard valet service, but it's just too classy to be considered "standard." Here, I received my first lodge at Woodloch lesson: no tipping.

While I had been told that gratuities were included (along with meals and most activities) it took a few hours for me to really get the hang of not tipping the incredibly courteous and attentive staff. I reluctantly locked my wallet in the room safe and prayed I would not regret it.

Our first meal of the first day was dinner. Three courses with a vegetarian option always available followed by dessert. Wine and spirits are extra and are charged to your room. The meal portions are small. However, I found myself surprisingly satiated when I got up from my meal. We arrived after the days activities had ended and so we decided to enjoy the massaging waterfalls in the pool area.

I never would have realized that allowing a waterfall to beat you like bread dough would be a relaxing endeavor. However, by the end, I was putty. I could only sit by a fire reading a book, nodding off at 8:30 from the intense relaxation.

Breakfast was equally as satisfying and the following days activities were incredible. I have been to resorts where the pool guy decides to put on a yoga instructor hat for a day. Here, the yoga instructor seemed to only be teaching yoga and meditation. The gardening instructor was a master gardener certified by the Cornell Cooperative Extension (that's the Harvard of gardening). The food is restaurant quality and the wine list is incredible.

I found there were enough classes to fill up the day, if you wanted. They are scattered well enough to where you can take a few classes just to fill in a few gaps during the day. And there are more than enough places to sit and relax. The price may be high, but so is the standard of service.

The Lodge of Woodloch was worth every penny.

3  Thank Tim O
Reviewed March 18, 2013

was looking for a place to get away for a couple of days sans kids, nothing too far from the city, with enough things to do, etc

having been to the Pines and hearing / reading great things, was eager to give it a try, totally worth it.

accommodations are great, spa services were amazing, food was delicious, staff couldn't have been friendlier.

took advantage of some of the classes (yes, we did mediation and yoga, was actually fun), as well as a couple walks around the trails (tho glad we saw deer and not bear which i heard later was a possibility)

couple tiny notes - was a bit surprised to see the exact same lunch menu 2 days in a row, of course not a problem for a wknd trip, also not sure if they switch it up during the week. also wasn't crazy about ppl smoking around the fire pit, would have preferred the only flames coming from the pit itself, but that's just us. and oh yeah, the woman in the men's sauna w/ her boyfriend prob wasn't as appealing to me as it was to him, realize i could have just complained to the attendant but opted not to.

overall the place is great, and would rec it to anyone looking to get away from it all for a few days and just RELAX.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamie F, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear margojon1,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay with us! It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience, including the food, services and the attentiveness of our staff. Regarding our lunch menu, it does change seaonally rather than daily, but we offer a number of different selections each day, as well as soup, salad, wraps and a variety of offerings on our cold buffet. I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced by someone smoking at the outdoor fire circle. Should you experience this on any future stays, please let us know and we will make sure that it doesn't continue. It was a pleasure being able to welcome you to The Lodge at Woodloch - we hope to see you on future visits.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to spend a night here recently and had a peaceful, relaxing stay. The Lodge is somewhat isolated so you have the feeling of being further away from the day to day craziness than you really are. Service is amazing, with everyone, from valet, to front desk to servers, to the people you pass in the hall, ready to explain, assist or offer a welcome smile.
There is a feeling of calmness as soon as you enter the doors. The grounds, spa and rooms are impeccably clean. Every detail has been addressed. Every need satisfied.
The price of the room is a bit pricey but when you factor in the cost of three full meals, use of all spa facilities and the many programs offered, it is a very reasonable overnight stay. What kicks up the cost a bit are the spa services. A weeknd massage is 135.00 with an 18% gratuity. So two massages will run you almost 320.00. That's close to a hundred more than you would pay at a better spa off site. But then again, you are there for whole expereince, aren't you.
I've read reviews about the food portions being small. I don't know what these people are thinking or what they typically consume in a day. For breakfast there is a bar set up with yogurt, fresh fruit, several different breads, cottage cheese, oatmeal, etc. After that, there are 5-6 chocies for breakfast...french toast, eggs, etc. For lunch there is a salad bar with several dressings, chicken wraps and some cold salads. That doesn't include the main course choices which can be anything from mahi mahi, to small burgers, to panini's to salmon. There are also cookies and fruit for dessert. For dinner there are a choice of two appetizers, two salads, five entrees and five different desserts. Between 3-5:00 they have snacks set up in one of the two fireside rooms. Cookies, fruity and other treats. If you're still hungry after that, you have some serious eating issues.
The spa area has a great pool, waterfall area, whisper room, steam room and very nice lounges. There are plenty of places to relax and many people walk around with their Lodge issued bathrobes, even coming to breakfast and dinner that way. When I first read about that practice I was put off and wondered why people would do that. Then I got there, we went to our spa treatments that way and I didn't want to take off the robe for the rest of my stay.. It's very addicting. There are also hiking trails which we took advantage of and a lake. We saw quite a few couples of all ages, women who came with their friends and several women who came alone and stayed for several days to get away from the little ones.
This is a place you will want to come back to once you've been there. So if you go, beware. It's a little expensive............but you will return.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms
3  Thank Taletimes
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The best destination spa in theEast.
Simply beautiful, even in March.
Three terrific meals included in the daily rate, which is costly but well worth it.
Spa services superb, staff wonderful and attentive.
Private, secluded---a place you hate to leave.
No Kids!

Room Tip: Face the lake.
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Lodge at Woodloch is the most amazing place! My boyfriend and I spent the most amazing weekend there. We went for a birthday present that we will never forget. The staff waits on you hand and foot. The services and food are impeccable! Every room has a sink with filtered water. Cell phones have to be on vibrate or mute. The cooking and wine classes are a must. The dress code is very casual, many people walk around in the fabulous robes they give you during your stay. The food is spa cuisine, so the portions are small, but very satisfying. The presentation of the food is beautiful. The building and grounds are very well kept. The bed was the best bed ever! I wish I had it! We cannot wait to go back when the weather is warmer to really take advantage of the outdoor activities. We will definitely go back to the Lodge real soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love this place. I go back at every opportunity. This last visit, I'd just hurt my foot and spent the entire weekend hobbling around on a cane. So I couldn't take advantage of much of what the facility had to offer, and I still had a wonderful time. The level of service here is exceptional, from the folks who work at the front desk to the wait staff to the amazing massage therapists (I mean you, Marjorie and Carol. You totally rock.) Everything here is beautiful, well thought out and well maintained. And the food is both healthful and delicious. The rooms are pretty, the beds are comfy, the chocolates you get with turn down service are delicious. The setting is beautiful and the hot tubs are really pleasant. The excellence just never stops. And the pool is fabulous. (And the pool hours enable you to swim early or late.) You just cannot go wrong here. It is worth every penny you pay for it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. I've never had a bad one. I'm very fussy but I've never had to...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawley
Hampton Inn Matamoras
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville
Woodloch Pines Resort

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!